IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netcams behind Mesh Network for Remote Viewing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
btos
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Netcams behind Mesh Network for Remote Viewing Reply with quote

Merkai has mesh aps/ routers in beta tests, which I've ordered for use with ip cameras. The main reason for testing puposes is that they are cheap but Meraki aps/ routers are made for mesh networks. The Meraki forum (closed to public view) has said that there's going to be problems viewing webcams behind mesh networks from outside the LAN network, ie: WAN. Some more forum input said I would need to push video to a remote server for live feeds- probably means a remote hosted video company... The primary block seems to be the inability of the LAN network camera to be viewed remotely. Even with some kind of a work-around method like a hosted video server (which I assume could have their own software interface) there's an issue with the camera's server-side software, which resides inside the LAN. The camera's software will not function, according to what I've read. Though I've not yet gotten the Merkai APs in yet (later this week), I want to investigate the problems that may be associated with a mesh network, prior to deployment. Testing 1-2-3. Has anyone had any experience with ip network cameras in a mesh network?
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... It wont work. And any company developing this should know why.

Data travels through a node like rail road tracks. Once you hit a Y in the road you are forced to go one way or another.

A Point to Point network solves this with dual channel, or quad channel cards. So when your AP is talking to client 1 its on channel a, and channel 2 when it is communiting with client 2.

Your node however only utilizes a single channel, there for switches. It talks to client one, then client two, then client one, then client two.

Keep in mind that is only partial mesh topography. Full mesh Client A must communicate to Client B as well.

So, say all in all you have 10 cameras one on each node for a total of 10 notes. Insted of sending out 1 frame point to point you are sending out 10 frames point to mulit-point.

It should be obvious why this is going to fail (other then the fact you cant stream video over a broken line) If you have a 100K frame * 10 frames a second * 10 cameras = 10,000K But over a mesh network you actually have 100,000Kbps. Eating your 54mbps network alive...

Their outdoor access points are 150. So they aren't all that cheap. I would rather pay the 160 and have something that works rather then 150 for something that does not.
btos
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
I've not tried mesh for netcams. Have you? Perhaps if I used the aps as repeaters... dunno. Got backups though. I want a beach network of hotspots with providers of the DSL to have gateways for video and sell ads on their sites. Maybe it is not possible.
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go multi channel, its not mesh.

Here is how you would think of a mesh network...

Picture a hose, and 2 buckets. You need to fill both buckets at the same exact time flinging the hose from bucket to bucket. It gets messy and you waste water. That water is your bandwidth.

If you go multi channel, its like haveing 1 hose with a Y in it. Can fill each bucket at the same time one way, but can only go 1/2 as fast the other way.

IHope that helps.

-Chris
adamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Meraki and Netcams Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I found it when searching for Meraki and IP cameras. It turns out that you can use Meraki with an IP camera if the camera pushes to an external server. Since most IP cameras will do FTP push, you can setup a camera on a Meraki network and have it push to that external server.

Here's an example of a camera that is doing exactly that.

http://sensr.net/users/michael-robertson/cameras/llama-camera

It's using our service, Sensr.net, where we provide FTP servers for IP cameras.

Hope this helps someone who's trying to get there netcam to work on Meraki...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed