IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPcamera on PC - how heavy for the system?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
DaMo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: IPcamera on PC - how heavy for the system? Reply with quote

Hi
I would want to use max 2 cameras in my network. Daylight and wired cameras that is. Nothing special.
I spoke with some guy from a security comany a while ago and he assured me that even this simple setup would slow my system down. I am planning to buy a new Dell pc, some powerfull thing with 2 cpu's and a lot of memory.

Would the Dell be able to handle this? Will i notice the activity of my cameras in the perforamnce of my PC?
Or should i better keep some older pc (2ghz ,750MB RAM) to run the cameras.
The network is only used for some light internet activity and Voip....

Some advice??
Thanks in advance.
Ralph
IPCCTV
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say if your Voip setup is directly into the router or if this is through the PC as would be the case for some Skype setups. A decent spec PC should be able to cope with two cameras but your Voip speech quality may suffer if this if you don't split the video and voice traffic. I only say MAY as I don't know your setup. A seperate PC will do nothing for this problem though.

Can you describe your setup a little better?

You can also apply QoS rules to your router to give priority for your voice traffic over your Video for the case when they are both going over the internet through the router.
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason two cameras on your home network will make your VoIP suffer is if you are viewing those cameras over the internet at the same time someone is trying to talk on the phone. Ideally if you have Vonage or Comcast or whoever, you have received a router from them capable and preconfigured for QoS. If this is the case, there won't be a problem.

As for your system performance, you may or may not notice a degradation depending on the software being used to record the video, and the FPS/settings you choose for recording. It's usually a bad idea to use a surveillance machine as a workstation. Every time you restart, or begin using a memory/HDD intensive application, your surveillance system takes a backseat to whatever it is you're doing.

I know that at least with our (Milestone) software, you could use the older machine you mentioned as a dedicated recording server and it would handle two cameras without a problem.
IPCCTV
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the Milestone software is the price tag; and in my limited experience of it, doesn't always work with the lower spec IP cameras either. I tried the single license and it didn't like the NCS230 camera for example.

Don't get me wrong, this is enterprise grade software but not ideal for everybody.
There is a good point being made here that quality software that is 'kind' on your CPU will sit better with older spec machines.

Many home routers that have some QoS capabilities though won't be pre configured.
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Milestone XProtect software isn't necessarily the right choice for certain home installs. I can just only vouch for our software as being capable of running smoothly on the PC spec'd by DaMo.

The NCS230 would not work with our software because we have not developed a driver for the device. You are correct that our software often does not support lower end/consumer IP cameras. Our primary goal in our software is to provide a stable, reliable surveillance and business solution platform. There is very little demand for consumer cameras in this area of the market.

The question is which software will support DaMo's cameras (need to know the models) on a 2gHz PC with 750MB RAM? I would think most would be capable of this, assuming the cameras themselves are supported. The need to record at high frame rates (15-20+) would narrow down this choice of course...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed