IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dlink 6620G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
beb1954

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Dlink 6620G Reply with quote

I bought this on ebay and have been having nothing but problems with it. I have called Dlink two different times to try and get this configured but I was and am having problems with my router which had to be rma'd. Got that situated but still have problems with installing the 6620G. The Install Wizard does not seem to come up the way it should. I install it and when I get the "Network Camera Installation" window open the "Setup, Upgrade, and Reset to Default" buttons are greyed out and not active buttons. The only bottons on there that are, are "About, and Exit" on the left column, and on the top going across I have the first two, "Search and Add". "Remove, Uncheck All, and Link to selected Devices" are also greyed out. :(
When I click on Search, a small window pops up says it is searching for camera, then just goes away and nothing happens at all after that. Right now I have the camera connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router just to get the damn thing to work. I will want it wireless as an end result but I have my doubts about this friggen thing at this point. The Camera default IP is suppose to be 192.168.0.120, I beleive. I have reset it to assure that it should be at default and have the router set to 192.168.1.1. The IP address is 192.168.1.5.
Now I want to say also that I did call Dlink those two times to try and get help. First off, the people are very difficult for me to understand, and that is not a racist or any other type of remark so don't even start that with me. I CAN"T understand them. Second they are very patronizing and last and most annoying of all, Both Times!! I was hung up on. :evil: :!: So I am hoping that I can get the hlp I need from someone here.
I just registered on here although I have been looking around here for a short time while trying to decide on what camera to get. I tried one of the cheap NCL like the Gadspot's and also a Trendnet. I got the NCL/Gadspot to work but it is a piece. It will work then it won't. NCL is a crap company and had the nerve to tell me that they don't support the comcera that I needed to go back to the vendor I bought it from. (another ebay purchase). The Trendnet I got to work with a bit more ease but is a another real POS camera. The NCL's quality is much better for what it is if it would only keep working.
So there is my rant and my problem(s). I am hoping that some of you out here will take pity or just want to help and get me through the Dlink mess. It seems like it is going to be a very nice camera if I can only get it to setup properly.
Thanks very much for listening and any help that will come this way. :)
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally the camera finder software that manufactures provide with their cameras will find the camera regardless of whether you're IP's are on different subnets. If the camera finder isn't working, and you know the IP of the camera, then you can put yourself on the same subnet, login to the camera, and change the cameras IP address to whatever you need it to be.

If the IP address of the camera is 192.168.0.120, then change your PC's IP address to

IP: 192.168.0.10
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: blank

DNS1/2: blank

Unless the camera is defective, you should be able to ping it, and bring it up in a browser by now. If not, try trading out the network cable between the camera and router, or instead, connect both your PC and camera to a standard switch to cut the router out of the equation.
beb1954

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 6620G problems Reply with quote

Thank for the info Josh. I don't know what the default IP of the dlink is suppose to be. It does not really say in the pos book that is suppose to be a manual. It shows an example with a graphic giving the IP as 192.168.0.120. But then if gives a disclainer in the next sentence that "Your 6620G may have a different IP Address. Go figure. That pretty much expalins the quality of tech suppoet I go the two times I called them for help. Got hung up on both times. The first time I thought maybe a fluke, but not after calling back and having the same problem with them again. I stopped calling for the eening and the way it worked out, didn't call back at all. This is the first after about 3 weeks that I have tried to get it configured again. I have reset the camera and opened a browser to try and go to it but no go...
But I will follow your advise and see how things go. Thank you again....
Actually, I just did before submiting this and I can ping that ip but I can't open a browser with that address. Get the small window that tells you that "Internet Explorer could not open the search page. Any thoughts on this then?
I am not completely nerdy but I don't have alot of networking behind me. Mostly hardware and repair. Thanks for any further help you can offer.
Bruce
I forgot to ask if you can tell me why the software is exhibiting the problems that I described in the first post... Thanks again..
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you reset the camera, did you do a reset, or restore? Apparently the usual method of defaulting a camera (hold for 10-20 seconds and release) doesn't do the trick. D-Links manual says...

1. Insert the paperclip or other tool and press on the button continuously.
2. Wait for the LED on the front of the camera to blink red and green and hold the button for 10 seconds.
3. Withdraw the tool after the second cycle of the LED blinking and a factory restore has been completed.

Try using the software to find the camera again after doing that. I have a feeling the camera defaults to DHCP, so if your router is acting as your DHCP server, set your own PC back to DHCP and try pinging the broadcast address of your network which sounds like it should be 192.168.1.255 (the last IP of the subnet. So bring up a command prompt and type...

ping 192.168.1.255 -t

Let that run for 10 seconds or so, then type...

arp -a

to get a list of all IP's and corresponding MAC addresses which responded. Look for your cameras MAC in that list and you've found the IP. The MAC for D-Links cameras are 12 alphanumeric characters starting with "001346" typically
pperez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bitch of a time getting the camera to show up as well. I had to reset the damn thing a few times. It seemed to work if I held the tiny reset button down for alot longer than 20 seconds. It was really dodgy! Then the program eventually saw the camera and I was able to continue with the install.

The other issue I encountered was getting the router to work with the camera. Because the Belkin pre-N router I have uses the port 80 that dlink tells you to use for remote access of the camera....Instead I had to open port 81 for the cam to be seen remotely. Open port 81 for udp and for tcp on two different slots too.

Hope this helps!

-p
ebone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I'm overstating because I have barely slept in the last 2 weeks and am having trouble even reading this screen...

I think (as you suspect) that your problem is that it's simply not finding the camera. That's why everything is greyed. If I'm not mistaken it does automatically assign the ip address through router (dhcp) and the install software searches accordingly (as Josh said). It has been a long time since I've installed and I have mine set to assigned ip's now.

First of all, was the camera from Ebay brand new? I don't think the camera is the problem but I am just ruling things out.

From what I've read and from what I've experienced myself, it may be that router. My cameras (have 2) were very quirky with my dlink routers. I switched to linksys wrt54g (2) to test and they work 1000 times better. In fact, I only keep these routers because the cameras work so well with them. I liked the dlink routers better (firmware anyway) but they were crap with the dlink cameras...go figure.

So to save yourself time, you may want to run to local bestbuy, etc. and buy the same router I have just to rule the potential router problem out. If it's not the problem or you don't like that router you can just take it back and get a refund.

About Dlink's tech support. They are so freakin awful it's pathetic. I'm not racist either but it's annoying when you can barely understand someone that doesn't know what they're talking about in the first place. But don't worry-they're so horrible that no matter what language they speak (even telepathy), you will learn nothing from them.

That brings me to 4XEM. They have the same exact camera but it's white. It's even cheaper. They have incredible tech support and I solved a couple major problems through them (when I was trying theirs.) Everything Dlink's tech support is-4XEM is the opposite. I didn't keep their cameras because I had an issue with them not having a digital security certificate thing. If they've rectified that then I would seriously consider that camera.

Back to the Dlink.... If everything everyone suggested does not work, go buy my router as a test. Let us know what happens.

If that doesn't work then I will help you get it going, even if I have to uninstall/reinstall mine and walk you through it.

Although these cameras are expensive, they are way too fun and worthwhile to give up on. I've had a blast with these and they have also helped me with some serious situations. Once you "learn" them a bit, the possibilites are endless.
beb1954

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to list this:
"Unable to save file C:\WINDOWS\Download Installations\{87999005-D2C6-4ADA-8E83-28BA087C917}\Installation Wizard.msi The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
However, I don't beleive I had anything else running. Forgot this for the time being, but wanted to make sure that I put it out there finally.

I had reset the camera until the leds both went off then the I guess green, I've been calling it Amber, flashes twice goes off, flashes, goes off, etc. then the Red led comes on solid, and the green one flashes steady.

I did the ping of the camera after reset, and it answewred,
Did the -t switch and it just kept going....
Did the ARP -a and it told me "No ARP Entries Found'.

I am about to try and install the software again, (Install Wizard) and see what goes after that. I am not expecting too much.
I still have not received any reply back from Dlink Tech support through a detailed email that I sent earlier this afternoon. Might not either as I complained about being hung up on those two times. I bought the Camera off ebay and got it at a very good price or I never would have been able to afford it. I can't anyway as I am on disabilty for 5 yrs. now. Liver Transplant and I mention it at times so that I can plug to everyone to get and sing a Donor Card and get someone else to do the same while they get someone to do it also and so on.. nuff of that..
I don't know what I should expect from Dlink if the camera is bad for some reason, but I don't think there is.... I think that it is me and my inexpericne with networks.

The Router that this will be on permanatly is the Belkin N1 working through a Belkin N1 Network card. However, right now I am using a Linksys BESFR41 wired. But this is just to get this thing to work correctly. Once I figure out how to setup the camera, then I need to mount it and get it working through the Belkin router. The reason I have bought these camera's is that I have has vandelism here at the home and want to catch the Basxxxd. The first one is junk as is the Trendnet. The NCL (same as Gadspot 1200) has a much better picture. But I saw the 6620G, and the great low light sensitivity and I just decided that I should go ahead and get it and "borrow from pter to pay Paul later. Sell the Trendnet. oops sorry off track..
Okay, I am starting to ramble and I have a puppy bugging me. I think that I relayed what I needed to, then again, maybe not. So please tell me what I did NOT address and what I need to come back to post or PM and I will do whatever I need to get you guys to help me through this. Hopefully I will be able to give back at some point... Edited @ 20:49... I type in 192.168.0.120 and all I get is a small window that pops up and tells me "Internet Explorer could not open the search page."
TIA
Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed