IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless Camera Setup Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
gurvir19

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Wireless Camera Setup Advice Reply with quote

Hi I would like to setup wireless security inside my house. I run a small business in my basement where my wireless N router is and would like to monitor it. With my laptop i get full signal on my top floor as well and would like to use wireless cameras so i dont have to run cable all the way. Which camera do you recommend? My budget per camera is around $250-$300cdn max each. I am not familiar with the different brands and what people have tested. I have been on the dlink website and Trendnet. Any input would be helpful Thanks!
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/networkcameras/axis/207W/camera_details.html

I recommend using mpeg4 since the bandwidth (and any storage) is so much less than mjpeg. About 1/10th as much. That's a good thing.

I saw one review say it was "unreliable" but I have two Axis cameras and they've been up 100% so long as they've had power. Same with my Panasonic. I use my own software though, which MAY be the reason (i.e., the camera doesn't hang, it's the lousy software being used).

The 207W (w=wifi) gets you a good 640x480 image, and 30 fps rain or shine. If you want more resolution, the 207MW (m=megapixel) gets you up to 1280x1024 (1280x720 seems more useful) at about 12 fps (up to 20 fps in lesser resolutions, e.g., 640x360, but 15 fps at 640x480). The image is quite a bit cleaner but the bandwidth increases (say, 2.5 Mbps at 1280x720 @ 10 fps (rated only 10 for mpeg4 but 14 fps w/mjpeg but about 12 Mbps datarate w/mjpeg -- too much! though you could reduce frame rate and jpeg quality) vs 1.5 Mbps or so at 640x480 @ 30 fps. mpeg4 asp). MJPEG would be about 10x that, and that's really too much. Either also gives you one-way audio (AAC is pretty good quality, and the mic is wonderfully sensitive picking up things you would not expect).

Horse's mouth:

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_207w/index.htm

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_207mw/index.htm

These are pretty up-to-date and a good value as far as Axis goes. You may have to up your budget mark, though, but these are good values. Saving a few CDN will get you ... much less value. I look for mpeg4 asp -able cameras. There are not many. I also look for 30 fps (I let the MW slide because of the much better resolution), especially at 640x480.

Some cameras might say "640x480" but are no better than a resized 320x240 image (but still send out a lot of data -- more data generated but no better image). The 640x480 on the Axis is not bad. And you get a real 30 fps. Low datarate of < 1.5 Mbps (bits per second) is pretty good, and w/good motion handling (no blury images on motion). I could go on. But I won't. Except to say, mpeg4 (ASP - advanced simple profile, for the higher resolutions) is the way to go. That narrows down your choices a LOT but is well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by spymasterflash on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
gurvir19

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply! hope to hear more soon
gurvir19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this camera good?

http://www.smartvisiondirect.com/index.php?ca_id=22&it_id=7&query=item
kkrich

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Wireless camera Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the other camera you posted. I don't usually use the Axis 207W, but it is a good camera. A search on googe/product found this:

http://www.provantage.com/axis-communications-0235-004~7AXIC07F.htm
y-cam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You may also want to consider the Y-cam.

It has good specs and should fit your needs quite nicely. Its MPEG4, easy to install with full UPnP support and best of all, priced under your budget.

For specs and info www.y-cam.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed