IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software for Vivotek cameras?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Turbo_ZX12R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Software for Vivotek cameras? Reply with quote

With ip vivotek cameras, do you have to use the supplied software? Or can ip cameras use different software?

If someone has a link where I can read about this subject if it has allready been discused that would be greatly apreciated Smile

We are just about to buy the Vivotek PZ6114/6124 cameras, for home use, and hopefully just have them record to a NAS drive.

Thanx in advance

Chad
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Software for Vivotek cameras? Reply with quote

Quote:
We are just about to buy the Vivotek PZ6114/6124 cameras, for home use, and hopefully just have them record to a NAS drive.

You can use whatever software you can find that works with those cameras ("works with those" being the key point). Believe it or not, even simple streaming is not standard (well, if you use a browser (IE typiclally is all) plus a .ocx, it may appear to be like any other, but it's not standard, not even with SDP/RTSP/RTP since sometimes there are little tricks that have to be used (sort of like a who-goes-there/it's-me/okay-pass thing)

I believe, however, that those models will be replaced soon with newer gear that is more up-to-date hardware-wise.

I say, beware of anything that only does 15fps for 640x480. Also beware of anything only doing H.263 (aka "short-header mpeg-4") instead of MPEG-4 part2 /long-header ("advanced simple profile" (ASP) would be better than only "simple profile" (SP) since you get I/P/B frames instead of just I/P, so better compression tools).

I think it's been mentioned around here that support on vivotek is sporadic. 4xem uses the same OEM as vivotek (ie, the same gear). If you have to get cameras now, you may want to pay a little more for the 4xem (well, as I look to the top of this page, I see 4xem advertises here so maybe its "support is better than vivotek" is the company line. I do know, however, that vivoteks web site has LOTS of 404 (not found) pages, and some right on the very first page.

Do you need PTZ? Usually that's for active monitoring, not simply alerts/recording. One thing about PT(Z), it's no better than a non-PT(Z) when you aren't panning. You can simply use two cameras (say, two small Axis 207 models) and cover the same area, more or less, and 100% of the time.

http://www.provantage.com/4xem-ipcamwptz~74XEM01R.htm

http://www.provantage.com/vivotek-pz6114~7VIVO00P.htm

Turns out the 4xem is about 10% cheaper than the vivotek.
Turbo_ZX12R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Awesome reply thank you for taking the time to write all that!

We havnt purchased them yet, we were going to get them tommorow......

We live on an acerage and thought we would be better off with the pan tilt so we could cover more area with one camera, and i was thinking I could have the camera pointed toward the driveway so it would get any motion if someone drives or walks up. And one more camera at the back of the house incase someone enters from the rear of the yard.

Also, we are going with the wireless as wired is not really an option, and since we are not having 5 + cameras I didnt think bandwidth would be affected to much, and we do not need PERFECT constant video, just need to know if someone is there.

Alot of that compression talk went way over my head so i will read more about that so I can research more. These cameras do Dual Codec MJPEG/MPEG-4

They claim up to 30fps @ 704 x 536? I dont know how close there claims are though?

But I will deffenatly check out some of the other ideas you have, Il hold of purchasing now untill i read a little more

Again thank you for your help its much appreciated.

Chad
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The datasheet and UG for the PZ61x4 shows this:

- Video
Algorithm supported
MPEG4 SP
MJPEG
Features
Adjustable image size, quality and bit rate
Timestamp and text overlay
3 motion detection windows
Resolution
Up to 30/25 frames at 176x120 or 176x144
Up to 30/25 frames at 352x240 or 352x288
Up to 15/12 frames at 704x480 or 704x576

It's probably a fine camera, but it's dated (IMO). Sort of like buying a "new" 2004/5 year car today, at more or less full price.
Mr Sots
Junky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's only a couple of cameras as stated, bandwidth is not a concern so you would be better off using MJPEG which is far higher quality than MPEG-4 in any guise. Also, do you really need more than 15fps? I'd be surprised if you NEED more than 4 for the application described.

I'd definately look at fixed cameras too though as unless you are monitoring the cameras you can never guarantee a PT(Z) will be pointing in the right place at the right time! As well as the fact that PTZ's have motors which do tend to burn out eventually!

I'm not familiar with the models being discussed but there are numerous IP cameras that can take a compact flash card wirteless adapter (Pricey) or any camera can be plugged into a point to point wireless bridge which would give you the best solution of all in terms of management, performance and range.
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to burst the bubble, but jpeg does not get you a better picture than mpeg-4. I've got several cameras and the mpeg-4 is identical to the jpeg. By identical I mean same quality. Yes, you see advertisements claiming "mpeg-4 for low bandwidth, mjpeg for quality", but that's nonsense. If you have bad quality mpeg-4 you need to adjust your settings, or get a better camera.

BaCk to point, if you are runninng an old, 5 fps 320x240 camera, yes, mjpeg makes sense. But 30 fps 640x480, or 1280x720, is almost impossible, let alone two or more. Moving all the data, and processing it, takes a lot of CPU, let alone bandwidth. I decode mpeg-4 faster than jpeg; there's simply much less data to process, for one. And don't even think of mjpeg at more than a few fps on a mobile; I get the full 30 fps (XScale/512 MHz/rgb565, 320x240 resize).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed