IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a suggestion for a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
salud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: a suggestion for a newbie Reply with quote

Can someone please suggest which camera should I buy? The idea is to have the camera monitoring my apt while I'm out. I travel a lot and I would like to be able to use the camera without a computer, wireless and have it send me pics and videos, a camera that has a good performance in the dark and hopefully has a motion sensor and a plus if I can control all these remotely. My idea of the cameras I could use for these are: (open to suggestion on the same price range)

4XEM WLPTG Wireless Pan/Tilt IP Network Camera
Wireless PTZ Internet Camera Linksys
vivotek PT3114/3124

Please guide me through this.

Thanks,
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of those will work well in the "dark". In low light the vivo is pretty good. The pt7137 (wifi) is probably a better bet than the older 3000 line. Even though the 3114 has CCD, it's low light (forget "dark") is not any better than the pt7137, and the 7000 line does a real 640x480; the 3000 line does 704x480, but it's scaled a bit since few CCDs do true D1. If you want good near-"dark", go with the much more expensive vivo 6114 (aka 4xem wlptz, et al.). Or, get one that works using IR. Many cams will work with external IR, too (i.e., get a separate Ir source and just use a regular camera).

Anyway, if you want to see in the "dark", none of the three you listed will do. Well, I can't say that for sure about the linksys, but I doubt it is even close to the other two, and those aren't good enough.

If you can add a little light yourself (really, it doesn't need to be much, say a 9/13W CFL), I'd go with the vivo pt7137. It has pan-tilt, which you seem to want, and gets you a very good image (but it needs some light). I don't see why you would want the older wlptg/3114 since the pt7137 seems to me to be better in every way.

Another company re-branding the pt7137 is Level-one, out of Germany (a Taiwan-based source, however, Digital Data Communications Asia Co.,Ltd), with a model called the wcs-2060. To me, it looks less odd than the vivo. It may even cost less than the pt3117. I don't see the "pt3114" you mentioned on vivo's web site. It seems to pre-date even the pt3117, and I'm surprised you can buy it still.
user1
Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also something like a Axis 221 day/night would work well. I don't know if it's worth spending money on a PTZ for an apartment....although the cheap model PTZ cameras will be less than the 221 (but it will be evident with quality). I'd stick one on the door and just capture anyone coming in or out....if something turns out missing you'll know exactly who was in.
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

user1 wrote:
Also something like a Axis 221 day/night ...although the cheap model PTZ cameras will be less than the 221 (but it will be evident with quality).

Considering a 221 is 1000 dollars american, I'd be worried about the guy running off with the camera and leaving everything else. hah Besides, he spec'ed Wi-Fi and "around the same price". The 221 is wired, and not even close in price. The Vivos I mentioned are really very good with just a little light. I -have- seen new, wired fcs-1060 cams (pt7135) go for 160 dollars american. Their image is better than the axis 207w line, but not the 207mw (the vivo 7138/39 is megapixel and may give the 207mw a run, but the megapixel axis is not as good in low light as the 207w/640x480 nor the vivos).
user1
Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an Axis 211w? Decent in lower light..but still a professional model (meaning good and costly). But yes, if you're looking for cheap then go with the others. The key is to understand you may have some lapses in service or quality and you have to expect it.
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user1 wrote:
Maybe an Axis 211w? Decent in lower light..but still a professional model (meaning good and costly). But yes, if you're looking for cheap then go with the others. The key is to understand you may have some lapses in service or quality and you have to expect it.

haha, You 'da Fud-meister, with hand waving about and all that. 211 shows min lux of 0.75. I can tell you that unless a maker claims something like "0.01" lux you won't see much at all in the "dark", not without Ir lamps. A "cheap" (pft!) 207 specs at 1 lux and it's not good at all in the dark (well, not very useful in the dark, anyway).

Acti cams?

http://www.acti.com/index.asp

http://actiftp.hosting4less.com/ACTIGENERAL/Video%20Clip/EPL%20comparision%20/

has some light/dark/light images from several cameras, an axis 211 included. This (staged, you could say) shows the acti (all of them, really) to be quite a bit better than the axis 211 when placed in this scenario. It's a big DL, about 80 MB. You'd want one with Ir lamps. The "dark" in the clips is not really dark, though - the 6112 can go down to much darker (auto/manual iris control), but the frame rate drops a LOT.

EPL Box Cam video clips.zip (Acti are the ACM- models):

AXIS 210.wmv
AXIS 211.wmv
ACM 1100.wmv
ACM 1310.wmv
ACM 1430.wmv
AXIS 207.wmv
vivotek PT 7135.wmv
vivotek IP 7131.wmv
vivotek IP 6112.wmv
EPL_videoClip_20070203.ppt

The 6112 was done at D1, and it isn't - like many CCDs - made to do that very well (SIF/CIF it is, really -- the optical zoom is pretty good on that "cheap" (sic) camera). If you are interested in Acti you can get a decent price at

http://bluecherry.net/

Note to salud: Acti has no wifi as far as I know.
salud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for the reply,

I must confess that I'm still no sure which camera I should buy. But it seems that the PT7137 is the way to go, although Im wondering if its better than PT3117/3127 for what I need. ( I need a camera to monitor my belongings while Im gone, I travel a lot overseas. The idea is to be able to monitor my apt so if someone gets in I'll have at least a picture of the person) I would like to have a nice camera with good quality (picture and video with audio)that I can control from an internet browser and that does not need a computer to be running just a internet conection (wireless). If someone has a diferent opnion about the PT7137 please let me know Smile

Ciao,
balenci

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some sound opinions from experts here.
whatever you choose, take into consideration the price and the value that you will get. i'd go for the PT7137 anytime. it's a decent one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed