IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gadspot GS1200G "issues"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
Praedor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Gadspot GS1200G "issues" Reply with quote

I purchased this camera form Gadspot specifically because it indicates that it will not only work with Windows, but also Linux and Mac systems. I cannot speak for the Macs but for linux...it does NOT work. First, a few points:

This camera's manufacturer, AVITech, is in violation of the GPL license. This system uses linux as its operating system but the source for the operating system is not made available. A no-no, and this has already been identified by others on the net so the violation is known and I cannot imagine a lawsuit is not in the works. That said, though this uses linux as its operating system, Gadspot has apparently gone out of their way to make it incompatible with linux systems. In spite of its advertisement stating that it also works with linux systems and Macs, it does NOT work with my linux systems. For some godawful reason, they elected to go windows-only with the web interface by using ActiveX rather than something universal. First problem I had upon receiving the device: it would not work even in windows because the certificate for the ActiveX component was out of date and Windows would NOT permit use of the ActiveX controls without a valid certificate. I finally managed to fix this issue by upgrading the firmware, which was a trial in itself since it took a lot of searching on my part to finally find a firmware update. It came from a 3rd party hosting site since neither Gadspot nor the manufacturer site provided an update (the AVITech site has been down every time I've tried to access it).

Once I got that working, the image was fine and it worked OK but ONLY in windows. It was impossible to get a video stream in linux by any means I tried. There are no instructions from Gadspot for linux OR Mac and when I finally did find instructions to try, they failed to work completely. By this I mean I was able to connect to my camera via "http://<ip address of camera>/cgi-bin/getimage?motion=1" (which was supposed to bring in a video stream) but there was no stream. What I got was a still image of the VERY first image received and nothing else. No stream. No motion. This was true in Firefox (which was able to produce a still image every time) and in Konqueror (which was sporadically able to produce an image, though most of the time not). Nothing I tried worked at this point to bring in streaming images even though I was clearly receiving a stream of network traffic from the camera.

OK, so a pet peeve of mine: a company uses linux as the OS for its hardware but then makes its output incompatible with linux! Unnecessarily so I might add. It would be quite simple to produce an interface that would work on ANY system regardless of OS so long as it was using a basic, standards-using browser.

Sadly, though the camera is relatively cheap, it does not live up to the advertisement as far as linux and, dare I predict, Macs? The other issue of the software being out of date upon arrival so it was actually unusable at all by ANY operating system was another nicety.

I am returning it, even though there is a 20% restocking fee(!) and going with a more expensive, but non-OS-specific panasonic wireless IP camera with movement in the left-right/up-down directions. Twice as expensive but because it is designed to actually work with any system it wins.
fantasygraph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you make an error in the command..

the good one is :

"http://<camera ip>/cgi-bin/getimage.cgi?motion=1"

you forget the .cgi

it works, i use it on firefox to bypass the use of the activeX (sometimes, i need to do a refresh to launch the stream)
pt-1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to highjack this topic but is it possible to get stills too ???

I tried the method sugested above using VLC and I am able to receive a stream using VLC but I would like to get still's too...

THX from London

PT-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed