IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendatons for these requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Malik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Recommendatons for these requirements Reply with quote

It will be purely for home security whilst i'm on holiday.

My Requirements:

1) Good in very low light (i.e. night time/dark)
2) Good range motion detection/activation
3) Will auto upload its images to my off site ftpserver and also email me that motion has been detected
4) Allows me to login to the camera remotely at any time and view live video when needed.

Would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations?
Dox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new here, too. My only experience is with the Intellinet 550710 IP camera. It will do everything you want, but the low light and night vision isn't the best. You may need to find one with the IR source to give you 0 lux capability. I have timers to turn lights on and off, and motion detector lights to help with that part of it. The motion detection seems a little wishy-washy as to the sensitivity with the 550710, but I've never used it while on vacation yet - just have it set up and ready for the real thing. I'll see how it works before long. One of the nice things about this one is that you can log in from any browser and make any adjustment you want or need.

Good luck in your quest.

-Dox
user1
Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cheap, but an Axis 221 will do it.
Mr Sots
Junky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "Very low light" you really want to look at a camera that supports IR lighting or you'll have to turn up the noise tolerance to such high levels to avoid false alarms you may well mis genuine ones.

Most cameras can support the features you want although you may find you require a PC to be on to manage them and handle the email aspect.
Malik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any other recommendations?

Re. The Axis 221 - If it had RTZ i probably would have found the money and gone for this but as it is its too much imo.

The below seem the most popular cameras. Do any owners of the below have any comments in relation to my requirements?.

Dlink DCS950
Sony SNC-M3
Axis 206
Axis 207
Linksys WVC54GC
Panasonic BLC30

TIA
Mr Sots
Junky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dlink - read the horror stories on this site!!!
Linksys - can't comment

The remainder are reasonable cameras but none of them offer day/night functionality to give good low light performance. You will also need some form of management software running on or off site to manage the recordings/ftp settings.
Malik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if the Axis 207 will do what i need?

It appears to have motion detection. Any experience how good/range ?
Will the camera upload images to ftp server etc?

Mr sots - can you elaborate on the management software. I would have expected to be able to add the ftp access details to the onboard webserver?

tia
2cpus4me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Anyone know if the Axis 207 will do what i need?

It appears to have motion detection. Any experience how good/range ?
Will the camera upload images to ftp server etc?

Mr sots - can you elaborate on the management software. I would have expected to be able to add the ftp access details to the onboard webserver?

tia

I have had the panasonic BL-c10a, Axis 207, and currently have a panasonic BL-c111a. All are wired models.

The Axis has slightly better picture quality, like 10% better. In real life it simply appears to be a bit sharper, but you would almost only notice it side-by-side. I don't think the 207 is worth twice the cost of either panasonic model in my opinion, and I sold it.

The axis 207 supposedly is better in darker conditions. It is, but its like this: At dusk, you can see images for about 15 more minutes than the panasonic can before the images get too dark. Again its twice the cost and not worth it for an extra 15 minutes of usable footage at twilight. After the sun is gone, don't kid yourself, none of these several hundred dollar cameras are decent in low light.

The current camera I have is the panasonic BL-c111a. It has a much better framerate than the BL-c10/BL-c30 series and moving objects are tracked much better. It also has sound and records sound 24x7, which is pretty cool. The microphone is amazingly sensitive and captures lots of noise from out in the neighborhood or within the house such as the cat meowing. I'm now a believer in recording sound with the video.

The axis 207 has better built-in ability to do customized motion detection such as several different zones, but they all can do it with software help. They all can FTP on events.

If you need periodic, high-quality still shots at night (such as one frame every 10 seconds of a parking lot), then the Toshiba cameras are for you (for example the older IKWB-11a). They have megapixel CCD sensors and can hold shutter as long as 4 seconds allowing terrific low-lux night shots without any additional illumination. Of course, if you are trying to capture motion video at night that's a different deal.
user1
Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to search for online 207's to see how they are in the lighting conditions you are needing. I do not use the 206-207 in low-light areas.
Malik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i have no experience with any ip cameras and nothing to compare against i have gone ahead and ordered a 207W for now.

I will post back my experience with this camera in low light.

Ryan - which camera do you use in low light/dark ?

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply it is appreciated, particularly 2cpus4me for the detailed response.
Dox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the camera you get isn't acceptable in low light, is your situation such that you could use motion detection lights or light switches?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed