IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home IP camera on AOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Home IP camera on AOL Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have been having fun and learning loads in the process of setting up a home based IP-cam to catch the burglars if they ever come back.

I bought a Swan MAX IP-cam and I am running it through a Netgear DG834GT router.

With a bit of study I was happy to get the camera setup to show video on my local home network and to access it outside through the internet using the Dyndns dynamic service. Although at present I can't see the video from my desk at work because of IT blocking Active x controls.

I then progressed to look at how to send e-mail to my AOL account if any montion detection is triggered. And to send an image to my ftp site.

To my disappointment AOL (and most other ISPs I assume) block port 25 to their smtp server to combat spam.

Unfortunatly the SWAN IP-cam uses a fixed port 25 setting, so i'm stumbed.
Also AOL ftp access only allows files to be posted in a sub directory which is beyond the user settings on the cam ftp server.

My question to you all is that has anybody been able to setup a IP-cammera through a common ISP provider so that it can send e-mail notifications/ftp images when motion detection is triggered. I understand that there are video application programs that run on your PC the managed IP-cam and web cams, but I was hopeing to use the cammera as a stand-alone device on the network with my laptop turned off.
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you can copy the activeX component from your computer at home and install it on your computer in work. I think I am supposed to say that you need to ask your employee if you may do so Very Happy there are some tools available or you can du oit manually. Once the activex component is installed on your work computer, you can access your cam as u use to do..

I think there are many free email services you can try to collect your cam mail and forward it to your aol account.
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dwayne

Thanks for the tip, i'll take a copy of the activeX dll to work tomorrow.

I also signed-up the the dynsdyn outbound email relay, with the intention of emailing their smtp email server and fowarding the email to my AOL email account.

Reading the AOL support page they block port25 and require you to use port587 which has a secure protocol. I think they block port25 to third party smtp servers, something about blocking spammers from AOL servers.

Looking at a number of cam manuals they all seem to relie on sending email to an smtp server and don't give any user settings for changing ports or secure settings.

I wonder how everybody sends email images from their IP-cams if ISPs block port25.
frozen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeb, a solution would be find a new isp. Most isp's block all smtp emails except for their own. You can keep your old AOL email address if that is a concern. Before you switch, check with the local isp to make sure about smtp emails and the port used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed