IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IP Cameras & Dynamic IP Networks- Do they work together?

AnthonyGTI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: IP Cameras & Dynamic IP Networks- Do they work together? Reply with quote

Please answer once and for all, CAN YOU HAVE A WIRELESS INTERNET CAMERA USED FOR OUT-OF-NETWORK VIEWING CONNECTED TO A DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS SUCH AS OPTIMUM ONLINE?
Router - Trendnet 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router TEW-432BRP
Camera- Trendnet TV-IP100W Wireless Internet Camera Server
ISP - Optimum Online Cable

Goal - Set up a wireless camera(s) with buit in web server to be able to view my home from work without the computer being on.

Problem - I was able to set up cameras to work wirelessly any where in the house and they can be viewed on my computer within the network. However, I am having trouble setting it up for viewing outside the network.
The ISP has a dynamic ip so i am not able to simply type in the address from a remote location.
I set up an account with DNYDNS.org and hosted the IP address of the router the camera is connecting to. The service however, does not allow me to specify the port (8585 - given to me by Trendnet) so it wont connect to the camera.

Is this an impossible feat with a Dynamic IP? If not, PLEASE tell me how it can be done.
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

What you are trying to do is quite possible. I think you are missing some basic understanding of DNS and IP networking/NAT'ing.

You have a DDNS hostname with DynDns.org setup to keep track of your IP address. You cannot really associate a port number with a hostname. To reach your camera, you will always need to specify whatever the HTTP port for the camera is. For example...

http://myCamera.dyndns.org:8585

You need to make sure that this is indeed the HTTP port of the camera, and that you have that HTTP port number forwarded in your router, to the IP of your camera. Also, I'm not particularly familiar with that camera, but it might require more than just the HTTP port to be forwarded in order to retrieve video/audio. Check with Trendnet to ensure that you are forwarding all necessary ports.
AnthonyGTI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrendNet told me it could not be done since you need to specify the router's IP and the cameras port ( 192.168.245 : 8585)
However, DNYDNS.org does not allow the ":8585" when hosting an IP address. I will try it the way you mentioned where I put the DDNS address followed by the ":8585". Thanks Josh
user1
Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trendnet is full of idiots.

Josh is dead-on. If I'm going to microsoft.com and want port 1111, then once the dns is resolved it just xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1111.

The camera can stay at port 80 if desired and just have the router point your preferred port to port 80 of the camera. So in router it says whatever comes in port whatever, say 8000, is then forwarded to 123.456.789.111 port 80 (the camera). Just look in port forwarding in the router.
AnthonyGTI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried typing the router's IP address followed by the port # of the camera and it doesnt seem to work. Does it matter that I am within the router's network?
I took screen shots of all the settings for the router and camera, please take a look and let me know if anything stands out as being incorrect. Thanks again for your help.
ROUTER SETTINGS

CAMERA SETTINGS

[/img]
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

Certain routers will not allow you to connect to them on the outside (WAN) interface from inside the network (LAN side). Don't be surprised if you can't connect to your dyndns hostname while on your home network. You should use the LAN IP of your camera when inside your home network.

The only thing in the configuration that really stands out is that you have the cameras FTP port set to the same port number as the alternate HTTP port. You should leave the FTP port number at default (21) or else choose an obscure port number which is different than any other ports used on the camera (8521 for example).

Also, I'm not sure why it shows "IP : 192.168.1.100" in the UPnP field on the camera. UPnP is a protocol which devices use to automatically configure network components like routers with the correct port forwarding settings, and shouldn't have an IP setting of its own. If you are able to 'set' the UPnP IP address for that camera (which is bizarre) set it to the same IP as the camera (192.168.1.201) Or just disable UPnP all together since you shouldn't need it.

The problem is probably that the FTP port is set to the same as the HTTP port - so fix that and give it another shot.
AnthonyGTI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Josh...
Here is a list of changes I made as per your comments
1) Disabled the UPnP. now it shows up :
Dynamic DNS : Disable
Secondary HTTP Port : Enable (Port : 8585)
UPnP : Disable (IP : 0.0.0.0)

Should Dynamic DNS be enabled?

2) In router settings, I changed the Start & End IP to be within the range of the camera... dont know if this was necessary.

LAN & DHCP Server
Host Name - TrendNet
IP Address - 192.168..1
Subnet Mask - 225.225.225.0
DHCP Server Enabled
Start IP - 192.168.1.200
End IP - 192.168.1.254

QUESTION !!!
When setting up host services on DnyDns.com, do I put the IP address of the cable modem or the address of the router after the modem?? Because you have been telling me to put in the router IP but on the site, it auto detects the modem IP. If I use the modem IP, would the format still be MODEMIP:CAMERAPORT or is it something else?

Thanks again for your help.
AnthonyGTI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Josh
I am able to view the video remotely.
I set the DNYDNS IP address at my modems (not router) plus ":8585"

One last question...
The video is choppy. I can set to 160x120, 320x240, and 640x480
I can set the compression rate anywher between very low to very high
and the frames/sec from 1-20 and "auto"
Whats the best setting without using a small resolution

What is causing the low fps? The data rate of the router (its 54mbps), the distance? How can I improve it. Its ok now but I am worried that if I add additional cameras, it will be even slower.
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let ICUSecurity chime in on the wireless situation - he has quite a lot more technical knowledge of wireless technology and optimization than I. I know that even though your wireless is "54 Mbit", the actual throughput is usually quite a bit less.

Obviously you will require less bandwidth with lower framerates, and if you have the option to switch to MPEG4, you would use significantly less bandwidth than MJPEG when streaming more than maybe 5 FPS.
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What people fail to realize is the true problem with wireless video.

Lets take a step back. Why can I stream more cameras over my 1.54mbs T1 than you can over your 8mb cable line?

To understand the problem lets talk about straws.....

Lets just assume that every time we apply a single drop of water into a straw it spans the entire width of the straw. ie.. it touches the straw around the entire circle of the straw, regardless of the straw width. And lets just assume that each kB of data is equal to 1" of liquid in the straw.

Now, say you are streaming in 10 cameras at 1K per frame, 5 frames a second, for a total of 50 frames per second, or 50Kbps, or 50 inches of water "backed up" in your straw. Regardless if it is a 8mb line, a 100mb line, or a 56K line. The data flows through the same. So.. Picture 1 big fat straw, backed up 50 inches. The "lag" you see in your video is when the straw gets too full, and spills over..

On a T1, you have 24 channels @ 64kBps. So basically you have 24 much skinnier straws (still 1" per K). You assign each camera its own channel, and you are now getting 10" per second per straw, rather then 50. You also still have 14 empty straws.

Remember, just because something says 54mbps, that is simply the width of the pipe. Not how much data it can process...

Now I could list 1000s of reasons why you are getting a problem with 1 camera. I would really need to see the wireless network. In the next year you will see several Wireless AP's and CPE's coming out on the market. They will be competitive in price but contain CSU/DSU functions. This is what you are going to want... Fixes all the problems with wireless cameras today.

-X

4 Channel Video-Insight Software - $350
8 Channel Video-Insight Capture Card - 1,000
user1
Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, Internet bandwidth connectivity will always be the bottleneck. Wireless AP's and cams work as good as wired (without the PoE, and if good cam) but you'll still be held by your public connection.
ICUSecurity
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often times I find people wanting to go with bigger, better, more bandwidth AP's. Things like avalan, solectek, and airaya. Problem is these point to point solutions are not the answer.

I have lost jobs to competition because they have these "Super" AP's in their quote. Fact is, once you know how wireless works, you see the real "proper" answers.

Mikrotick RB-564 is $135, and is capable of holding 4 mini-pci cards.
The R52 is $40
A case is $10
Wires / poe is $25
And $90 for a antenna

So for $300 you have 4 independent channels (54mbps each)
Back to the straws, would you rather have 4 straws with 1 inch or 1 straw with 4 inches.

Now, Think about this... If you are going to buy a $2,000 AP that give you a this huge bandwidth.. Why not buy 7x of these 4chan 54mpbs solutions...

well.. if you are wondering.. i have that answer... Because you need to have someone that knows what they are doing set it up for you. Its not a "Plug and Play" solution. You have to build it from scrap.

-X

4 Channel Video-Insight Software - $350
8 Channel Video-Insight Capture Card - 1,000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Installation All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed