IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixed Antenna Inside Universal Housing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
geekgranny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Fixed Antenna Inside Universal Housing? Reply with quote

First post. So glad to have discovered this wonderful forum. Smile Short on time so won't do my "new member" intro.

I'm in process of upgrading my home/property surveillance system from Exxis wired, BW system with CRT multiplexer/monitor (has worked flawlessly for many years-decent resloution and adequate low light visability) to wireless IP cameras. I won't go into why I need mostly wireless but do need most cameras to be wireless and several mounted outdoors. Getting power to the cameras is not a problem but will investigate going with solar, in future, using unused PV panels I have.

I have four aluminum universal housings with mounts that I am not currently using. They are the box type w/o heating or cooling. My main question is... will the aluminum housing reduce the range of the wireless signal?

I'm researching the best bang for the buck in different cameras and will more than likely purchase different manufactures over time. I want pretty good resolution and also a couple of low light cameras. I don't need protection from frequent extreme weather but the occasional storms with blowing rain have to be considered. I can mount most of the cameras out of direct sunlight (Texas Searing Sun).

In a couple of situations I can use a wired IP camera mounted outside with a bridge close by inside the house but that is impractical for most locations.

Does anyone know if any of the wireless IP cameras have removable antennas so that an antenna can be mounted outside the housing if needed? That might be the solution if the aluminum housing blocks the signal too much.

I'm trying to keep cost down as much as possible. I'm hoping to save some money on the extra cost of "outdoor" cameras and put that toward good cameras using my housings. Answers and suggestions greatly appreciated.

gg=alice
Mr Sots
Junky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alice

Mounting with the antenna inside the housing will indeed impact it's performance and you're right to investigate cameras with detachable ones. That said, cameras with inbuilt wireless capabilities generally are not much good when it comes to range.

Three solutions I would investigate would be investigate cameras with alternative high-gain antennas as optional extras; implement a wireless mesh to flood your property or buying ruggedised wireless access points that can take high gain antennas and install these alongside your camera.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed