IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Pack for almost any Camera

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Battery Pack for almost any Camera Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have read several times questions about cameras with battery packs, and now I found something that might be very intresting because it can be used with almost any camera on the market.

It is called "EFFEKTA P-Bank Portable Battery Bank" and supports 2300mAh, so depending on your camera you can go several hours without the need to recharge. It supports power out from 5V to 19V at a maximum of 3.5A, and the voltage can be chosen freely.

Power in will be 19V, 3,2A so someone could think of adding a solar panel for recharging it.

more information can be found here:

http://www.effekta.de/portal/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=13&Itemid=50

(sorry only german)

The manufacotrs price is 99Ä + Tax, I found dealers selling it from 135Ä

Here is an overview PDF, also only in german:

http://www.effekta.de/pdf/PDF_DE_25ma_P-Bank.pdf

Here is a dealers page for purchasing it in germany:

http://akkuplus.de/shop/article_3574/EFFEKTA-P-Bank---Portable-Battery-Bank.html

If I find english information I will post it here.
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just decided to purchase one piece plus an additional battery pack for testing. I will let you know when I got some experiance with that piece Smile
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Pack for almost any Camera Reply with quote

"Battery Bank" and supports 2300mAh, so "

... peanuts. I'll go with 5V for that available current, so MAYBE 12 watt-hours of capacity. For very small and simple cameras that's MAYBE three hours, or MAYBE half that for a typical camera (non-wifi) but most better cameras run on 12V, and I don't think you can get 2.3 Ah out of that little thing at 12V, so good luck there.

For that price ($200) you can put four (sealed), deep-cycle marine batteries in parallel and get about 100x times the capacity (at 12-14V), and it'll work just fine. The batteries are easy to find and replace, too. Use a regular car battery charger once a week, or use two at a time, and keep the other two charged to swap as needed (every few days, not every 90 minutes-- but you're not doing to do that with that $200 battery pack).

If you're going to use a battery, use the biggest one you can. Multi-hundred buck gizmos may look cute, but looks don't do much when you get down to it.

If you're just doing this every now and then, okay -- use one marine battery. It'll do the job a lot better, and cheaper, and be more reliable to boot.
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whenever the question came up, noone ever posted a ready to use solution. It is more easier to tell that a solution is crap than coming up with something on your own Smile

I will let you know of my experiacne Smile
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes no solution is better than a bad one. Here in the States, they were arguing as recently as yesterday if it pains the condemned during the cocktail injection, and if that were the case, if it should be stopped. No doubt many different things were suggested as, eh, solutions.

Back to marine batteries... they work, have HUGE capacity relative these little device batteries that are really only good to charge your ipod, are cheap, and are very reliable. If only they could execute the condemned as well, ay?

P.S. Regular D cells have more amps that than thing. Put four or five D cells in series and you have a battery that bests that $200 thing, and only for a few dollars.
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, despite of spymasters post I will post my experiances here now.

Situation:

I am using a freshly charged cell as described above, double pack, equaling 5Ah according to the manufacors specs.

As camera I am using a Y-Cam black new model (mpeg version with firmware greater than 1.9). The cam is continously streaming at 25fps via wlan (10m from AP, 2 walls inbetween) the IR Leds are switched off.

The battery lasted 30h 20min

Then I recharged the battery and ran the same test, this time with IR Leds switched on.

The battery lasted 21h

The results ae much higher than expected, and I guess the manufactor gave an averadge power information on the battery on lifetime. According to the manufactor the battery is designed for 300 recharging cycles.

Of course spymasterflash and others will have much better, cheaper solutions - I just wonder why they don't come up with manufactors specs, where to purchase, test results reviews, but only with critics?

According to Y-Cam support the wlan module in the new models use a power management.

My next tests will be with the old model of the y-cam black.
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwayne wrote:
double pack, equaling 5Ah according to the manufacors specs.

You need to include at what voltage for that to mean anything. 5A @ 1V is 5 watts, while 5A @ 19V is 95 watts.
Dwayne wrote:

The cam is continously streaming at 25fps via wlan (10m from AP)

What is powering the access point? Another battery? If that's plugged in to the wall, what is the point of spending $300 for a battery if 10m away you have power available from the wall?
Dwayne wrote:

the battery is designed for 300 recharging cycles.

That's probably a best case (and very hard to validate). In reality, it depends. After a year Li-Ion will hold no more than some fraction of its new capacity, perhaps 80% (at best). Also, Li-Ion doesn't handle deep discharges well. If you run it empty it can damage it irreversibly. I suggest you physically remove the batteries from their control portion if you plan on storing them since it's likely the control portion will draw power from them. A stored (not connected to a power draw) Li-Ion can last a long time.

The only way I can see this as being useful is to use that $300 battery (your double pack was probably more than that) to power a camera that is attached to a laptop that is running on its own battery power. It makes little sense to power a camera with a $300 battery that has main power readily available a few steps away.

But frankly, it makes no sense to spend that kind of money for a battery.

Dwayne wrote:
According to Y-Cam support the wlan module in the new models use a power management.

This is common for all wifi radios. What it does it power down when not doing anything. Also, it xmits at a lower power, so range and speed are affected. I've been using wifi for several years on PDAs so I know how drastic "power management" on wifi radios is. Most people turn it off because connections drop more readily and range and speed are grossly affected (by that I mean, you may see no more than 1Mbps, and perhaps half the distance, if that, and if you've used wifi before, you already know how easily connections are dropped). Since the cam will be streaming continuously, the only power reduction possible is by reducing xmit power. Not much of a benefit (like I wrote, most will turn the PM off).
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<į)))o><
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I already threw you a fish, I am getting in some stuff you mentioned above.

Quote:
What is powering the access point? Another battery? If that's plugged in to the wall, what is the point of spending $300 for a battery if 10m away you have power available from the wall?

As you might have noticed the setup was for testing conditions. If I wanted to setup a camera on my desk, you can be sure that I would have used a plug. I am sure you knew that before and stated that above to point out I was dump. Otherwise I would have to think you are too dumb to see that this was just a test setup.

Quote:
Also, Li-Ion doesn't handle deep discharges well

This shows me you did not even have a look on the specs, the battery is not Li-Ion but Li-Polymere. So you areguing not on facts but on made-up assumtions. This also gives a clue about the quality of your statements.

Quote:
But frankly
(for you)
Quote:
it makes no sense to spend that kind of money for a battery.

Ok let's come to the price:

I payed 200Ä inkl 19% VAT, that is 168,07Ä without tax.

Now let's consider that the US Dollar is extreamly weak the last weeks compared to the strong Ä, that makes european produkts expensive on the american market, and americans get the impression that the products are over expensive. The reason however is the weak dollar.

Not a made-up assumption, a fact, you can check it out here for yourself:

http://de.finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=USD&to=EUR&amt=1&t=1y

So if you take an exchange rate at 1.6 for the weak US$ as we had it a few days before the price of the battery would be US$268 without tax, and it is much better for americans to buy their own products than importing from europe, after it this development goes on, americans hardly can afford good technology made in europe.

However for europeans it is a solution worth to check out and compare, after it is a plug and play solution.
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwayne wrote:
This shows me you did not even have a look on the specs, the battery is not Li-Ion but Li-Polymere.

Same technology. Li-Ion is the base. The "polymer" simply means it can be shaped to fit odd forms.

Here's something you could have done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-polymer

Dwayne wrote:
...it is much better for americans to buy their own products than importing from europe

Level-one, a German company, sells cameras (and other things) in the US for much less than one can buy in Germany (it resells Asian gear, but its boxes all say printed in Germany). For example, I paid $160 US for an FCS-1060 last year (it's a bit under $200 now, delivered). Here's the first one I grabbed from a google search:

PRICE excl VAT: Ä 246.40
PRICE incl VAT: Ä 289.53
Catalogue No: FCS-1060

In dollars, that 290 E comes to 450 American. Sort of ridiculous, but if people in Europe are willing to pay that, why not. $200 US is 128 euros right now.
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are right, absolutly, I won't doubt what you post - better - I won't comment it any longer Smile whatever you say is right and true and perfect, you are the expert and ... better than that - american Smile (I hope you are a good white guy)

oh I forgot: <į)))o><
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwayne wrote:
... better than that - american :) (I hope you are a good white guy)

What if I told you German was my first language spoken? Was yours turkish? No, because I can tell you are a German just by the way you act (in this thread; I won't even go into the other threads in which you always come out swinging). Not that that's a bad thing, of course, being German (well, unless you're a former DDR'er). Come on, take another shot. I dares ya!
y-cam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff Dwayne.... In fact I have already routed customers who asked for a battery solution to this forum thread.
One of them needs a battery solution where he can place the camera in different locations every day depending on the time of the year. The price of the battery is good enough to bundle with the Y-cam. Also the duration will fit most applications.

Pity that the thread is littered with negative posts for no apparent reason. If you donít like the price or canít afford it just donít buy it.

I think that Dwayne is doing us all a favour here in testing out stuff and posting reviews. Well done Dwayne and keep up the good work!!
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y-cam wrote:
Pity that the thread is littered with negative posts for no apparent reason. If you donít like the price or canít afford it just donít buy it.

Are you the same guy from ycam that "quoted" me 120 pounds ($240 US) to ship a y-cam to Texas? That's on top of the 149 pounds ($300 US) for the camera itself.

http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1770

Would you like Dwayne so much if he weren't shilling ycam? I think not so much.
Dwayne
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spymasterflash wrote:
What if I told you German was my first language spoken?

I doubt it. Here's your fish: <į)))o><
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed