IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need recommendations for camera with FTP/upload

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
chrisrbailey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Need recommendations for camera with FTP/upload Reply with quote

I'm putting up a webcam for a website. On this site, we will only show images/stills taken from the camera, probably at some interval in the "minutes" range. The camera will be pointed at the local mountain from a house in town (the mountain is pretty darn close, but still, it's a mountain/in the distance, as compared to say a security or other similar application). We're looking for a camera that can automatically upload images to a server via FTP/SSH/SCP at regular intervals.

Our criteria are the following, and I was hoping folks could make some recommendations:

Requirements:

video doesn't matter, must be able to produce still images of "reasonable" quality

lens and such must be sufficient to shoot a pretty high depth of field to maximize focus across long-ish range (I will explain that it'll be pointing at a nearby mountain from house in town, etc.)

Must do automated image upload via FTP and/or SSH/SCP.

Controllable interval on automated upload (nothing too fancy, but we may want as fine as say every 2 minutes or every 5 minutes?)

Wireless/WiFi (in case we want to mount it outside, or just to make it easier inside)

web/browser based configuration, or configurable via a Mac (we do not have a Windows machine)

$500 or less. We may have some flexibility here, if for example it includes the outdoor enclosure/is weatherproof.

Really prefer not to have any separate software solution, other than what's in the camera, but if that is the best way to get the FTP/SCP upload, because we won't have a machine to dedicate to running it.

Nice to haves:
    Ability to be mounted in an outdoor enclosure, or weatherproof itself. This will be in Silverton, Colorado where they routinely see temperatures below zero, and have snow, etc.
    user adjustable zoom

We already had one camera, a TrendNet TV-IP201W, which was nice a cheap, but the thing appears to just have up and stopped working. Plus, we had a lot of problems with it's FTP upload (and weird limitations on length of user login names and so on). Also, this camera seemed to just "crash"/need reboot every so often (often enough that it was annoying).
thewireguys
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axis www.axis.com
chrisrbailey

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewireguys wrote:
Axis www.axis.com

No offense, but how was that helpful? No specifics, and from my research on Axis, they don't actually make a camera that meets my requirements, because none of them seem to be able to FTP an image at regular intervals. They can FTP based on an event trigger (motion detection, input on an I/O port, etc.), but not simply at regular intervals. This seems to hold true of many cameras.

So, anyone else have any recommendations for a camera that specifically meets my requirements? I'm striking out in my own research, and that darn TrendNet camera we had seems to be one of the only ones.
barshnik

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you re-read the Axis site. All but their cheapest cameras have scheduled events. Look more closely at the 211W with an enclosure, even if the enclosure has to be homemade for sake of budget.

I do jpg image upload to an FTP server every 5 seconds, 24/7 with a 211. Download the user manual from axis.com if you don't believe me. It is called a scheduled event, and image upload interval is completely programmable (images per second / minute / hour.)

I'm a Mac guy myself - Axis camera built-in web interface is Linux based - the only things I'm aware of that would be an issue using a Mac with the 211 are audio related if you get the 'A' model - 2 way audio require an ActiveX component. If only one-way audio is required (or no audio), then OS X works as well as anything else for accessing the camera - even my cell phone browser works fine.

So, apologize to the guy who told you to check out the Axis web site. Maybe he wasn't as specific as you would have liked, but he did point you in the right direction.
chrisrbailey

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. The problem is that the 211 and such didn't meet my requirements on several other points, notable it is not WiFi, and it costs well over my $500 cap.

I spent more time looking at stuff the other day, and I'm finding it really hard to find the combination of <=$500, WiFi, and timed interval FTP upload.

A bunch of cameras have FTP upload, but then at under $500, it seems they often only do it in response to an event (this I believe is the case with the Axis 207 and other 20x models, appears the case for the Linksys one, etc.), not on a simple time interval. Then, when I do find one that does snapshots at regular intervals, I've yet to find ones (other than the Trendnets) that are WiFi, or that cost under $500.

The Axis 211 may wind up having to be a solution, but it's sort of disappointing to know that we had that TrendNet that, other than it crapping out on us (which of course is a major issue Wink was 1/3rd the cost, and had WiFi.

It'd be great if I could somehow find a list of all the cameras that did FTP time interval snapshots, and start with that. That is our fundamental requirement. From there we can consider it not being WiFi, and we might have to budge on price, but without the FTP time interval it's a non-starter.
barshnik

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice I suggested the 211W - the 'W' meaning WiFi. This is even more expensive than the non-W 211, which puts it out of your price range. I have on occasion, though, seen a used 211W on eBay which sold in the 500 range.

I have to answer to customers, so cannot risk odd behavior or undocumented or poorly documented 'features' of low price range cameras. This is not to say that there are not some good, cheap cameras out there, it's just that I don't know about them, so I am out of suggestions for you. Sorry.
chrisrbailey

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok, I hadn't seen that one. Thanks. Understood on the reliability and such. I think we're seeing that ourselves given the luck we've had so far Sad Anyway, thanks much for the info, good to know about the Mac aspects too, and the guarantee for the time interval snapshots to FTP. I suspect my client may just bump up to one of these. I've found the regular 211 for about $550 now, so that's not too far off the mark. I'll check out eBay and so on for some 211W's.
thewireguys
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisrbailey wrote:
Ah, ok, I hadn't seen that one. Thanks. Understood on the reliability and such. I think we're seeing that ourselves given the luck we've had so far Sad Anyway, thanks much for the info, good to know about the Mac aspects too, and the guarantee for the time interval snapshots to FTP. I suspect my client may just bump up to one of these. I've found the regular <a href="http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/networkcameras/axis/211/camera_details.html" style="color: #333333; text-decoration: none;">211</a> for about $550 now, so that's not too far off the mark. I'll check out eBay and so on for some 211W's.

Is this camera for you own project or are you installing this for a customer? Care to share who is selling Axis below MSRP?
chrisrbailey

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for a project for a friend, for the http://basecampsilverton.com web site. The Axis prices I am pretty sure I got off Amazon.

We're not going to go with the Axis, they were too expensive for the lacking feature-set. Instead, we're getting a StarDot Netcam (http://www.stardot-tech.com/netcam/). These meet all our criteria (FTP, WiFi, timed/interval upload), as well as they do outside housings, and a really cool little weather station attachment that will overlay the image with the environmental/climate conditions (we plan to do this, but not right away). Oh, and the price is far better (at the given feature set).
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisrbailey wrote:
Instead, we're getting a StarDot Netcam ... the price is far better (at the given feature set).

Going by some guy's review at epinions (just a regular shmoe, not somebody who knows all that much as he admits, etc.) that camera dates to at least 2004. Looking at the 8x10 color glossy PDF it's from 2003. Here's something telling

Image format: JPEG, adjustable quality / filesize
Transfer Speed: 320x240 (LAN, 1 second; modem, 5-10 seconds)
640x480 (LAN, 4 seconds; modem, 8-20 seconds)
1280x960* (LAN, 7 seconds; modem, 15-40 seconds)
(*1280x960 resolution only available on NetCam MP model)

On a local network expect 1 FPS for a 320x240 image. 0.25 FPS (that's one frame every four seconds) for a typical 640x480. (I see that) meets your requirements but I can't imagine that being all that useful, unless you like viewing distant landscapes, which is all the 8x10 color glossy PDF shows. At least these guys tell you up front.

That's $400 to start, for a 640x480 0.25 FPS camera. The 1280x960 snaps I saw were not impressive. Close to a smartphone camera. The other shots were of very distant objects so resolution was more or less filled in (by the brain), since you can't REALLY tell much from things a couple or three pixels wide.

Last edited by spymasterflash on Mon May 26, 2008 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x
x2
thewireguys
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spymasterflash wrote:
chrisrbailey wrote:
Instead, we're getting a StarDot Netcam ... the price is far better (at the given feature set).

Going by some guy's review at epinions (just a regular shmoe, not somebody who knows all that much as he admits, etc.) that camera dates to at least 2004. Looking at the 8x10 color glossy PDF it's from 2003. Here's something telling

Image format: JPEG, adjustable quality / filesize
Transfer Speed: 320x240 (LAN, 1 second; modem, 5-10 seconds)
640x480 (LAN, 4 seconds; modem, 8-20 seconds)
1280x960* (LAN, 7 seconds; modem, 15-40 seconds)
(*1280x960 resolution only available on NetCam MP model)

On a local network expect 1 FPS for a 320x240 image. 0.25 FPS (that's one frame every four seconds) for a typical 640x480. (I see that) meets your requirements but I can't imagine that being all that useful, unless you like viewing distant landscapes, which is all the 8x10 color glossy PDF shows. At least these guys tell you up front.

That's $400 to start, for a 640x480 0.25 FPS camera. The 1280x960 snaps I saw were not impressive. Close to a smartphone camera. The other shots were of very distant objects so resolution was more or less filled in (by the brain), since you can't REALLY tell much from things a couple or three pixels wide.

to add:

The NetCam also comes with only a 8mm, 33 wide, Manual Iris/Focus lens.

It's 90$ more for a 3.5 ~ 8mm, 81-35 wide, Manual Iris/Focus/Zoom lens.

There is no auto iris capability.

StarDot only has a 1 year warranty.

I had a customer call me with one of these and he wanted a price for a Axis 211 to replace it. They we not happy with the image quality.

The NetCam XL is $599 and they want you to run it a 320 x 240. This camera also only comes with a 8mm, 33 wide, Manual Iris/Focus lens and it's another $220 for a auto iris.
Mr Sots
Junky

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be stretching your budget a little but a Mobotix M22 would do exactly what you are asking with the exception of wireless and given the fact you'll need to run at least one cable to the cameras location (power) you may as well run an ethernet cable and utilise PoE. The camera is good to -30C without any additional housing and is installed on several ski-lifts to monitor for icing etc and has no problems. Software is all on board as you wanted and the depth of field on Mobotix cameras is stunning.

Also, a 3MP sensor should grab you pretty nice shots for your web site and you now have the option to creat custom image sizes for panoramic shots etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed