IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streaming from IP cameras (Axis 213)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
number8wire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Streaming from IP cameras (Axis 213) Reply with quote

We are trying to stream from IP cameras and display in real time like an anlogue CCTV solution.
When displaying images in a browser from the Axis 213 on a fibre test network we get about 25fps using MPEG4 ASP. We set the camera up looking at a fan as our test object. The iages will stream OK and then occasionally jump or stop for a milli second, maybe 1 or 2 frames.

We would like to stream constantly at 25+ FPS just like CCTV, any ideas?
Mr Sots
Junky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could either be the fact that you are running MPEG4 or quite possible down to TCP/IP.
number8wire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would we see a slow down due to MPEG4? I can understand that there can be some packet loss with TCP/IP however the swtich data is showing no colision or packet loss.
delta37

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert in this but maybe it could be the pc you are using?

I have experienced this kind of problem when I used my old pc to view the video. The old pc is a Pentium 3 with an old geforce vid card as well.

the frame seems to lag every now and then. however if i view it from my new pc lag is very minimal.

also if I am playing games w/c uses my vid card alot, I do get those frame skip alot.

so maybe, just maybe Rolling Eyes, it's the pc you are using? what are the specs and programs running and the same time?

(by the way, I use Dlink's DCS-5220
number8wire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you maybe onto something here, not being a gamer I dont have much need to test such graphics cards. I go out and buy a top end card and give it ago.

GIGABYTE 8800GTX PCI-E Graphics Card *768MB GDDR3 memory *384-bit interface *128 stream processors *SLI ready *Supports XHD Technology, Up to 2560x1600 *Supports HDTV function *HDTV cable included
delta37

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. you got a very good vid card so problem is not there...

do also run multiple programs at the same time?

have you tried contacting Axis? Maybe it's the software itself having problems?
number8wire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the Axis 213 back thru an Axis 292 Decoder onto a Analogue composite high res monitor on the test network. The I focused the camera onto a fan spinning at variabel sppeds and oscoliating slowly. We then had staff walk past the FOV and watched the difference between the PC monitor and the analogue monitor.
Both showed a frame of about 20-20fps, even with the 292 streaming at 1028kbits/s. So part of the issue is the camera and its ability to out put images and the graphics card ( I havent upgrade to the new card yet). By going via a decoder to the monitor I was able to take the windows browser out of the equation. It wasnt bad and I will try with an Axis 221 next as it is rated at 60FPS on tthe same setupo and see if there is an improvement.
spymasterflash
Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Streaming from IP cameras (Axis 213) Reply with quote

number8wire wrote:
test network we get about 25fps using MPEG4 ASP. We set the camera up looking at a fan...and then occasionally jump or stop for a milli second, maybe 1 or 2 frames. We would like to stream constantly at 25+ FPS just like CCTV, any ideas?

I notice these things on fast moving objects, like cars, but I don't notice them on slow moving things, like people. It's still happening, only I don't notice. The problem could be from the OS (linux, whatever) being busy handling something else when it should be processing a frame (i.e., the problem is at the camera). Or the problem could be at the PC, where, even though the frames are sent perfectly (say, RTP time is exactly every 1/25th of a second), the display process (local PC's OS, code, etc.) is busy doing something else and can't get it out in time.

In my experience, the camera images are displayed WHEN RECEIVED, and not displayed in any sync-time. There's a lot I could expound on that little topic, but I'll leave it there, but add a little tid...

I've got a vivo with an analog out and a Pana with an analog out. The vivo out is real-time, with no jerks at all. It has a SEPARATE path from the CCD to the analog out (i.e., it does not go through the digital parts). The Pana, however, does go through the digital parts since it will jerk (cars) and even slow down if I have a network connection displaying another stream. The Pana is routing its analog first through the digital section, and then back to analog (CCD->ADC->DAC->analog out). There are some benefits to each, but the pure analog is always going to be smoother (without even trying), at least so long as the digital side is running a non-real-time OS (same goes for the PC side).

This won't have anything to do mpeg4 per se (well, unless the encoder (or maybe decoder) is duff), and it won't have anything to do with TCP/IP (for one, whole frames will be received and there will be at least one or two buffer frames available). It's a combination of things, and not necessarily the same ones.

If you've an 8800GTX, that's more than fast enough. It takes me a very small fraction of a millisecond to output a YUV frame to video memory. In theory, I could update the video memory around 10,000 (10k) times a second with such an image. Even using GDI I could do it around 500 times a second (DIB blt). The problem is likely not related to your video card at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed