IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low cost camera surveillance project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
gianni76

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Low cost camera surveillance project Reply with quote

Hello,
I am new to this topic, but pretty knowledgeble with computers and radios.
I would like your help in understanding some points for a very low-cost home security system. My target is to be able to put up a simple system (doing only video recording on PC) possibly with 2 cameras and expandible in the future to 4 camera. The system should initially only record videos when set (e.g. on motion detection).

I have a decent PC with lots (over 400 GB+) of free HD space and would like to use it as my recording medium (recording nightly and deleting for example footage on a weekly basis). My target would be to spend not more than 100 UK pounds (i.e. 150 euros) for the cameras and necessary connectors. I need the cameras to be wireless as Ethernet/USB cabling is quite difficult (power is not an issue tough). Distances are around 60m (a laptop with WLAN 802.11b card works at the same distance, so 2.4 GHz coverage should be ok).

Now some questions:
a) What sort of support have cameras for night vision?
(I am looking for example at philex B/W 27986R. Do you know if they support this? Does anyone have experience with this camera or a manual?

b) why would you choose an IP camera against a much cheaper USB camera? I know you can plug the IP ones into your router directly.
But I have a PC running 24/7 and already have a server, so I have no problem at all streaming via a USB cam.
Any other advantage from IP cameras?

c) Considering purely the image quality and LOW cost target, what models would you recommend to look at?
(I am planning to use freeware software such as Home Wathcer, so the camera image is the most important part).
[also ebay imports from Hong Kong seem interesting from the point of view of the price].

I will also build my own brackets, camera outdoor containers and decent DIY antennas (cantennas and similar; if necessary) to keep price down!

Any help or comment appreciated!
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) You can get cameras with built-in IR or that can take an IR lens.

b) IP Cameras can be accessed over the Internet, they can run without a connection to a PC and have more features than USB cameras (namely, IR, Pan/Tilt/Zoom, motion detection, etc..)

c) Checkout 4XEM, DLINK and Vivotek. They offer lowend models that are compatible with IR and they offer free software. I don't know what cameras Home Watcher is compatible with so you will need to see what cameras are compatible with that software or buy a camera that comes with software.

I don't know of any cameras that have IR in your price range. I think Gadspot might have one or two but I really don't like to recommend those considering I have heard bad things about their cameras.

Let me know if you need any other help! Smile
gianni76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes wrote:
a) You can get cameras with built-in IR or that can take an IR lens.

I have seen a few of those IR projectors. They seem to be just IR leds.
What is the typical range they reach?
And how do you know if a camera is IR-enabled?
Excuse the ignorance, but what I mean: if I buy a 'normal' camera which just captures normal level of light and I then add an IR illuminator, will the camera capture a decent image over night?

One example of camera of which I am thinking:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009D5VOS/qid=1142977671/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/026-6095543-6869258

Quote:

b) IP Cameras can be accessed over the Internet, they can run without a connection to a PC and have more features than USB cameras (namely, IR, Pan/Tilt/Zoom, motion detection, etc..)

I definitely want to record images via PC. All the freeware I have seen has software motion detection. And the other features (pan etc) really I don't need!

Quote:

c) Checkout 4XEM, DLINK and Vivotek. They offer lowend models that are compatible with IR and they offer free software. I don't know what cameras Home Watcher is compatible with so you will need to see what cameras are compatible with that software or buy a camera that comes with software.

I will check you models. Homewatcher is compatible with any camera that has a windows capture driver in Windows. Basically anything that is seen like a webcam will work with it. I don't know how an IP camera is seen, as I never have used one!
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) IR distance depends on the camera. I think most standard low end IR cameras go up to 10m to 15m.

I don't know the distance for the camera on Amazon. It says it has IR but I didn't sound like it was a good IR. You might want to contact the manufacturer to get more information.

If you are thinking about adding IR later on, make sure the camera is compatible with an IR lens. Some cameras have removable lenses which makes you think you can add on an IR lens but do not actually support IR.

b) You will want to make sure your camera comes with recording software. Not all IP Cameras come with software.

c) Homewatcher probably won't support IP Cameras considering it uses a windows capture driver. IP Cameras are very different from webcams so I doubt that software will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed