IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any true W i r e l e s s cameras out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
alittle1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Are there any true W i r e l e s s cameras out there? Reply with quote

I did a search for " wireless outdoor ip camera" and could find nothing truly wireless out of 220,000 hits. (No, I didn't look at every one, just the first 10 pages!) Will there ever be such a thing?
geolt3
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same search quite a few times and I actually did click thru most of the 1st 10 pages of google and a few other search engins looking for them. They are there but I found only a couple that were under $1000 and that were truely 802.11 based. They were www.Skywaysecurity.com and www.wirelessoutdoorcam.com. And there was a www.dotz.com a bit more expensive and a dome but I couldn't find it the last time I looked. TRy searching for "wireless outdoor network camera" and you should get a few better hits. But you'll mostly get pages that have wireed outdoor camers and wireless indoor cameras thus matching all the key words.
cglaeser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Axis makes outdoor IP wireless Reply with quote

See the Axis 211W with outdoor enclosure.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_211w/index.htm

Best,
Christopher
geolt3
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the whole AXIS 211W outdoor bundle? I had gotten a quote from a company and they said the fixed wireless outdoor camera was $700 for the camera and then another $500 for the specialized outdoor housing. If not where can you get it cheaper?
cglaeser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a frequent shopper at buy.com and that's were I purchased my Axis cameras. I just checked and they are selling the 211W for $678.

Axis makes the cameras, but they do not make the enclosures. Enclosures with an Axis label are probably marked up, so you may want to purchase from the company that actually makes them. Videolarm.com has an enclosure selector that can match makes and models.

Also, depending on where you live, you may or may not need a heater and blower. I live in the bay area and do not need them, and saved quite a bit by getting an enclosure without them.

I have the 223M and 207MW. Both are excellent cameras for what they are designed to do. The 207MW is indoor daylight only, but the wireless has worked extremely well thus far. Each camera has a complete computer on a chip, with lots of features. Hence, the price tags that match, but still a good value.

Best,
Christopher
geolt3
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the Axis camera. Can the Axis camera be used outside via wireless without an enclosure/housing?
cglaeser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geolt3 wrote:
Can the Axis camera be used outside via wireless without an enclosure/housing?

No. You must use an enclosure outdoors. I purchased a Videolarm enclosure for the 223M from a local distributor for $150. I think the same enclosure can be used for the 211W if you run a cable to a co-located antenna.

Best,
Christopher
geolt3
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean co-located antenna? Does the enclosure have an antenna on it? And if so how do I match up the connectors for the antennas?
Ming

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi geolt3,
This is Billy,we are the manufacturer of IP Camera in China,we have many kinds IP Camera for your choose.
If you need more informations,please send E-mail to me:zllz6688@hotmail.com
I will try my best to help you!
cglaeser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geolt3 wrote:
What do you mean co-located antenna? Does the enclosure have an antenna on it? And if so how do I match up the connectors for the antennas?

The enclosure is typically metal and typically lacks the height for even a short vertical antenna. For these reasons, the antenna is usually mounted outside the enclosure. There are a couple ways to do this. One is to mount the antenna on the top of the enclosure through a small hole in the top, or mount the antenna on the building next to the enclosure (co-located). The second option is commonly done for larger high-gain antennas.

The Axis website has some useful data sheets and manuals. Here is one that will be helpful. See http://www.axis.com/files/datasheet/ds_211W_housing_29892_en_0709.pdf

Best,
Christopher
geolt3
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher, Thanks fo rthe info. The housing looks nice and the Axix cameras have pretty good reviews but I googled the housing part number and the cheapest I could find it for was around $450 then when you add the camera price on it starts getting up there in price for a fixed/non-PTZ system. Do you know of a less expensive place to purchase them both?
cglaeser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geolt3 wrote:
Do you know of a less expensive place to purchase them both?

I purchased a Videolarm housing (without fan or heater) from a local distributor (remoteviewsecurity.com) for $154 plus tax. Relabeling (with markup) is common practice, so you will save money if you can get the OEM version. Mine has the Videolarm label and I believe they actually make them, but you can get the exact same enclosure with other labels and pay more. Contact Videolarm and ask for distributors in your area.

Best,
Christopher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed