IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

firmware upgrade for Trendnet tv-ip301w

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
doodle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: firmware upgrade for Trendnet tv-ip301w Reply with quote

Hi all

My first post - have been scouring the net and this forum seems to be the #1 place for network camera knowhow.

I hope you'll help a noob out

Here's my problem - I did 2 firmware upgrades on one of my Trendnet IP-301w's. The first to version 1.2.3 which went well. Then to version 2.00.68. After which the camera disapeared from view- I cant even access it from the standard ip address (192.168.1.30). Trendnet support went over the 'reset' option but no joy.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.
BostonHXC
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

Unplug the power
Hold in the "Reset" button
Plug in the power
Hold the "Reset" button for 20 seconds and then release

Then try to access it remotely at the default IP

-B
doodle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion - have tried but no joy.

I connected an ethernet cable from the camera directly to a computer (no router) and got the following ip address:

However, I could not access the ip address.

Used 'advanced port scanner' after reading some other threads here - but it seems the above ip address was address of my computer??

Still no joy.
BostonHXC
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An IP address beginning with 169 is not a valid IP. Are you sure your computer has a connection to your network. If it did it would be getting an address beginning with something like 192. or 10.

-B
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a console (cmd.exe) and type

C:\>ipconfig

(post the results of that here). Or to cut to the chase, make sure your network is the same as the factory-fresh IP your camera server expects. I know there are some cameras that use 192.168.1.x but they are rare; usually it's 198.169.0.x

The 169.254.x network is a valid network, as ordained here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3927#section-2.1

It's not what you want, though. Check that .0. and .1. thing.

Looks like that 301 is one of the rare ones and uses .1. as the default. That's got to cause a lot of problems since most networks I've seen use 192.168.0.x. Assuming a new 301 buyer has no DHCP server, that is. Most with a router do have a DHCP server. If not, Windows can act as a DHCP server.

Anyway, ipconfig and let's see what you have.

Also, look at

Start panel, Network connections. Find your network (e.g., Local Area Connection 13...) RMB the icon. Select Properites. In the General tab, scroll down to TCP/IP. Properties of that. There you can set your static IP (since you aren't using a DHCP server). If that's not set, that's probably why you see the 169.265.x network.
doodle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that -

I've ipconfig gives me:
IP address: 192. 168.1.64
default gateway:192.168.1.254

From the default gateway i have access to my router. And the port that the camera is linked to is coming back as empty...

What would you say the next step is?

Also The 301w has a default ip address of 192.168.1.30 - this was also its ip address prior to the camera getting 'shy' after the firmware update.
doodle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the best part.

The store where I purchased the cameras from has ceased trading... (I'm in the UK)

I contacted support (which is in India) and all they could do was provide me with the US support number/email address.

I contacted the US support (rma) - and was told to complete a form online - however, such a form is only applicable for US and Canadian residents...

So in effect I am in no-mans-land with Trendnet.

(When I mentioned I was in the UK they stopped replying to emails...)

Not to go off on a tangent - but offshoring support is one of my pet hates. As offshore support rarely has the power to sort things out.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you put the router back in.

Do

ipconfig /all

this time. Try not to edit the output. Post it as it is. If you don't want to, don't. It may or may not be useful.

To cut to the chase, look in the router for any DHCP IP address given to the camera. The camera should factory-fresh start with it looking for an IP from a DHCP server, and if such a server is not available, to only then use its default 192.168.1.30.

The 301 is a plays-UPnP device. That means the IP it uses will be shown in the network neighborhood panel (maybe it's called My Network Places). It should do this by default. RMB its icon. Select Properties. The IP is at the bototm of the lone, General tab. If you don't see it there you probably have it so your OS doesn't show UPnP devices here. IF you scour the net or google/bing/whatever you'll find out how to get the UPnP devices to show up.
BostonHXC
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also try pinging the device at it's default IP.

ping 192.168.1.30

See if it replies to ping, if it does then it is a good sign.
doodle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Thanks for the assistance.

Regarding ipconfig/all

Default Gateway
DHCP Server
DNS Server

all have the same ip address 192.168.1.254

Have looked on the router (through the options available whilst on 192.168.1.254)

the IP address is 192.168.1.64 and that takes me to a blank page on FF and errors on IE and Opera.

Regarding pinging 192.168.1.30

it timed out all 4 times.

I have a feeling the firmware upgrade has wiped the cameras software. Is this possible?

I finally got a response back from Trendnet - Oh joy I now must pay courier costs too and from the US (from the UK)... They really do 'care'...
BostonHXC
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By any chance did you flash the firmware while the camera was connected via wireless?

-B
doodle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - the Trendnet website warned against this. I actually did 2 firmware upgrades. The first was fine. The second not so...

I have a feeling there may be an issue with the firmware upgrade on the site.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the router shows 192.162.1.64 then that is the correct IP (at least until you start the camera again -- it may change the next time you restart it, or when the lease expires - typically 7 days). If the camera wasn't toasted on the fw update, that's where it will respond. 192.168.1.30 is not correct anymore. If you want to use 192.168.1.30, disable DHCP in the router, and disable it in the OS, and set up the network address as I mentioned up a few. However, there's no reason to think that will make a difference (since it should already work at the DHCP-provided IP address).

The only thing I can think of is you have something else using 192.168.1.64, perhaps a static assign. Pull the network cable from the trendnet and ping 192.168.1.64 and see if anything is there. There shouldn't be. If there isn't, and you are sure you've reset the thing as described in the user guide, -- well, you know how the rest goes.

By the way, that the camera gets an IP address from the router means it's working. At least far enough to do that. He's not dead, Jim.

You can redirect console output to a file by doing

ipconfig /all > file.txt

That's a greater-than symbol there.

Load the file.txt to an editor and copy/paste easily. There are shorter ways, but that's a simple way to post entire results insteoad of trying to transcribe them by hand.
doodle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran ipconfig once with the camera connected and once without - the output was the same.

Regarding the ipaddress 192.168.1.64 - I do have a computer linked to the router via Ethernet cable. I can can confirm that the IP address above corresponds to the computer.

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Is this the end of the road?
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doodle wrote:
Regarding the ipaddress 192.168.1.64 - I do have a computer linked to the router via Ethernet cable. I can can confirm that IP
Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64

The wrong-road here is that you said 1.64 was your camera's IP. It's not. It's the PCs. Go back (up a few posts) and do the network places/UPnP or look-in-router-logs-to-see-what-IP-the-DHCP-server-gave-the-camera. Like I wrote (three times now, and my pen is running dry going over the same thing), if you have a router and DHCP server, whuch you do, the camera is not using 192.168.1.30.

BTW, DNS servers usually point to your ISP, not your router (from your ipconfig output). Not that this has anything to do with your camera problem.

I suggest resetting/restarting (just a warm boot) the router before doing anything else. Then, go back and find out where the camera is, IP address wise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed