IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help w/cheap ebay ptz wireless ip camera setup-install

Gomer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: need help w/cheap ebay ptz wireless ip camera setup-install Reply with quote

I bought a cheapie ebay pant tilt zoom camera and I cannot get ti to work on my system at all. I am running windows xp on a wireless network at home. It uses its own software called ip camera or something like that. I use Mcafee virus protection and a wirless router. The camera has a r45 jack at the back and a power supply and is supposed to work wireless. I have had zero luck installing this. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? I feel so stupid and I need detailed step by step instructions, I have tried the manual and I cant figure this out, I am sure it must be me, but I am also sure others have had the same problem and might be able to help? Thanks in advance.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software that comes with these cameras is just there to help you find the IP address the first time. Plug the camera in to your router, can't use wireless until you configure it. It's best to use the same router as the PC you will access it from or the subnets will be different and cause you more grief.

Then you use that IP address in a browser, and you can use any browser you want as long as it's Internet Explorer and you have every conceivable security option turned off and you are getting so many warnings that you are afraid, but you must keep going. I spent an hour turning everything hidden option on IE off. The camera will then install some sort of ActiveX control on your PC and allow you to log into the camera (the user and password are in the manual that is on the CD they sent you).

Then once you are in you can configure all the options, first thing is to pick a fixed IP address (or you'll be hunting for it each time you reboot the camera or router). For example, if your router assigns addresses in the 192.168.1.1-99 address range, just make it 192.168.1.100 and you'll always be able to find it. Then you need to go into your routers firewall and make that address and port available to the outside world (if you wanna access it from the internet). Once you configure the wifi stuff, then you can disconect the camera and use it via WiFi. There will be options to set motion detection, email alerts, ftp and so on.

These sort of cameras are extremely easy to setup once you can connect to them. The connection part is what people get hung up about, but it's easy once you figure out TCP/IP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Installation All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed