IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linksys WVC80N Wireless-N Camera Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
CamReviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Linksys WVC80N Wireless-N Camera Review Reply with quote

Linksys has a brand new camera out on the street for just over $100 and has remote viewing via web and RTSP, and even has a SMB client in the camera that can write an AVI file directly to your NAS or Home Server!

We reviewed the WVC80N camera for those that are interested in these features, see our review at http://www.MyHomeServer.com under Reviews

we hope this review helps you in your purchase decision for an IP camera.
justme321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Hardware - OK - Monitoring software (really) bad! Reply with quote

The guy pointing to the the "homeserver" link has been doing it on many sites and has not talked about the bad software that has been supplied with the product.

There are a improvements in the hardware (better image quality, better motion detection , recording to network drive from web interface). These "improved" features should have been present in the previous model anyways. The web interface is almost similar to what was there earlier.

Now about the desktop "Monitoring" software.

1.Crashes all the time ( I really mean everytime) - FYI - I have a Vista PC.
2.Very simple (too simple ) user inteface.
3.There is no option for not recording motion activated recording before the motion event - this means the hard drive is always being bombarded with input - which will surely kill the hard drive early.
4.The motion detection settings are useless- I havent figured out how it works yet - and I am a software engineer!
5.The video playback is tries to test your motor skills - because you cannot expand the timeline - you cannot see the recording for a particular time of the day - it's really hard.
CamReviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Linksys WVC80N software Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't mention the software, I simply don't use it and skipped it completely on the WVC80N review. Now that this camera has "direct to NAS" writing, there is really no need to use the software. I found previous versions bloated and buggy as you mention, so it's no surprise.

I use these cameras in my Vera Home Automation controller to capture snapshots (jpg) and also made custom scripts to grab JPGs and display them on a page. I also have another custome webpage that displays all the MJPEG streams from my cameras on a single page, so this is really all I use them for other than the occasional RTSP stream on my cell phone.

I'd try ditching the software and try the Webcam XP pro software for a few weeks with your cams. That software is much more powerful and has many options. You can also search for the Linksys ONE BUSINESS software on the web, I've seen downloads for this and from what I hear, this works with all Linksys cams and is much more stable. I found the link in the Linksys Camera forums

Editor, MyHomeServer
http://www.MyHomeServer.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed