IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Alternatives to Panasonic BBHCM531A for POE/Outdoor Use

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
voip-ninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Need Alternatives to Panasonic BBHCM531A for POE/Outdoor Use Reply with quote

I've just had my home wired for POE camera installation in several locations that have overhangs. I understand my best option is to go with outdoor rated cameras since our temperatures here can get quite low (below zero fahrenheit).

I had pretty much settled on the Panasonic BB-HDM531A as it meets most of my criteria;

1. POE
2. Outdoor/weather rated
3. Audio (won't work on my Macs, but there ya go)
4. Onboard storage (if the server is down)
5. Alerts
6. Relatively small (I don't want large bullet cams. These will be installed near doors and I don't want to intimidate visitors too much).

Now I see that this camera has been discontinued from Panasonic and is getting harder to find. I also don't want to purchase this if a new model is coming from Panasonic in the next month or two that has better capabilities (like audio capabilities to my Mac computers).

Does anyone have any advice on this? Any new cameras to look out for or should I just scrounge around and get this Panasonic camera?

Thanks!
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new version of that camera is the Panasonic BB-HCM735. Panasonic is releasing upgraded versions of a few low-cost cameras. http://www.videosurveillance.com/blog/products/panasonic/panasonic_introduces_new_lineup_of_network_cameras_for_small.html
The main enhancement with these is the inclusion of H.264 video compression.
voip-ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that information. I wonder if now that the format is H.264 if I would be able to get the audio working when viewing the video feed on my Macs.
voip-ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these new Panasonic cameras yet? Are they worth the price premium over the previous generation models?

I'm curious about the them having bundled software that supports up to 16 cameras. I can't find any info on this and am not sure that it is really full recording software.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip-ninja wrote:
Has anyone tried these new Panasonic cameras yet? Are they worth the price premium over the previous generation models?

I'm curious about the them having bundled software that supports up to 16 cameras. I can't find any info on this and am not sure that it is really full recording software.

Yup, I bought a Panasonic BB-HCM735A two weeks ago. Although not the best camera on the market, it fits my needs perfectly. FYI - If you buy one, it will work with a 16 gb SD card although the manual does not state it.

Problem with H.264 and this camera is recording. Actually, not being able to record. I can record to the SD card mjpeg and mpeg-4 as long as it's not megapixel and I cannot record h.264 at any resolution. Bummer!!!!

John
New Jersey
voip-ninja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably end up doing recording on a central server and only use the onboard SD card for snapping still photos.

Out of curiosity have you tested with anyone to see if the H.264 video displays on a Mac running Safari?
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip-ninja wrote:
I would probably end up doing recording on a central server and only use the onboard SD card for snapping still photos.

Out of curiosity have you tested with anyone to see if the H.264 video displays on a Mac running Safari?

Not yet. I don't know anyone with a MAC in my area. If anyone out here wants to try on a MAC, I can post a link to my 735A for h.264 viewing and wait for the results. Very Happy
voip-ninja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjohnny wrote:
voip-ninja wrote:

Not yet. I don't know anyone with a MAC in my area. If anyone out here wants to try on a MAC, I can post a link to my 735A for h.264 viewing and wait for the results. Very Happy

I would actually be very interested in trying that. We have a mix of both Macs and PCs in the house and I'd like to see that the new cameras work with the stock Mac browser.

Thanks!
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below are two links to my new PanasonicBB-HCM735A. One for H.264 and the other for MJPEG of the same resolution.
Best viewed during daylight hours.

***PLEASE CLOSE YOUR CONNECTION TO MY CAMERA WHEN DONE VIEWING OR YOU WILL KILL MY BANDWIDTH***
I configured the camera for only a max of 3 connections so if you can't connect either you will get the appropriate response or simular connection failure message
Happy viewing!

John
New Jersey

H.264 ->
http://68.193.3.154:5735/CgiStart?page=Single&Resolution=640x480&Quality=Clarity&Mode=H264&RPeriod=65534&Size=STD&PresetOperation=Move&SendMethod=1&Language=0&PanTiltMin=0

MJPEG ->
http://68.193.3.154:5735/CgiStart?page=Single&Resolution=640x480&Quality=Clarity&Mode=MJPEG&RPeriod=65534&Size=STD&PresetOperation=Move&SendMethod=1&Language=0&PanTiltMin=0

voip-ninja wrote:
fatjohnny wrote:
voip-ninja wrote:

I would actually be very interested in trying that. We have a mix of both Macs and PCs in the house and I'd like to see that the new cameras work with the stock Mac browser.

Thanks!
voip-ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality is very good and it works perfectly on the Mac!

Well... no audio but that was unfortunately to be expected (still baffles my mind that the new cams don't support this).

Thanks for setting this up!
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you confirmed it will work on a MAC minus the audio. If you want to see megapixel MJEP and h.264, i can configure the camera temporarily for your viewing, but will need to switch back to lower resolution soon after.

John
New Jersey

voip-ninja wrote:

Well... no audio but that was unfortunately to be expected (still baffles my mind that the new cams don't support this).

voip-ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjohnny wrote:
Glad you confirmed it will work on a MAC minus the audio. If you want to see megapixel MJEP and h.264, i can configure the camera temporarily for your viewing, but will need to switch back to lower resolution soon after.

John
New Jersey

voip-ninja wrote:

If you have time to do that I would love to check it out. The 1st camera I am purchasing is just for front door security so it's possible that the h.264 higher res camera is over kill and that I would just be better off getting a 511 for that application and hold off on the higher rez ones for other locations.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will switch configuration to h.264 megapixel on Sunday and will leave it at the setting for all day Sunday then I must switch back for recording reasons. I will send another posting with a link when I reconfigure, so standby......

John
New Jersey
voip-ninja wrote:
fatjohnny wrote:

John
New Jersey

voip-ninja wrote:

If you have time to do that I would love to check it out. The 1st camera I am purchasing is just for front door security so it's possible that the h.264 higher res camera is over kill and that I would just be better off getting a 511 for that application and hold off on the higher rez ones for other locations.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday evening: The HCM735A is now configured for h.264 at 1280x960. It is currently dark outside with a flood light overlooking the target area and to be honest the picture looks like crap but will look better in daylight. MJPEG at 1280x960 looks much better than h.264 in low light.

I will keep the camera running at h.264 1280x960 throughout Sunday and in the evening I must revert back to the previous settings.

Happy viewing..

John
New Jersey
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjohnny wrote:
Saturday evening: The HCM735A is now configured for h.264 at 1280x960. It is currently dark outside with a flood light overlooking the target area and to be honest the picture looks like crap but will look better in daylight. MJPEG at 1280x960 looks much better than h.264 in low light.

I will keep the camera running at h.264 1280x960 throughout Sunday and in the evening I must revert back to the previous settings.

Happy viewing..

John
New Jersey

I amost forgot...... Use the following link to my camera.
h.264 at 1280 x 960 -> http://68.193.3.154:5735/CgiStart?page=Single&Language=0

John
New Jersey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed