IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Axis 223M really worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
ampletouch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Is Axis 223M really worth it? Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for your respond on my previous post. it was helpful.

couple of months ago I installed Axis 221 for a project and it was great. Day/Night function was very impressing, 60fps worked great.
in my new project I choosed 223M and tought it's same quality for low light conditions, and of course more pixels. the only drawback was 9 fps on 1600*1200, but it was OK while delivering 1600*1200 image quality.

yesterday I went to the site for installing milestone XPP. and noticed the Axis 223M is not what I was expected for. I expected better quality and details on 2MP sensor, not only a huge sized JPEG file! Day/Night function is awful, I think it's better for Axis to not to advertise on Day/Night function for this Camera. in dark places, the only thing I get is noise, then I have lower down the motion detection sensitivity in Milestone.
MPEG-4 only support 640*480 at max 9fps (are you kiddin?)
MPEG-4 only support 640*360 at max 12fps.!!!

you cant get 25fps video at any condition in 223M!

I just need to know:
while you are using lower resolutions like 640*480, does the Camera uses whole of 2MP sensor or it just crops the pixels?
if it uses the whole sensor, I can get better quality on lower resolutions and brighter images at night.
itsokrelax
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to learn to use the datasheets my man!

I would assume it just crops the image as reducing it would still be the same resolution of picture and would cause MORE CPU time.

This camera works very well with an illuminator. I would check out the newest cameras that Axis has to offer... but if you're looking for low light the 221 is the way to go.
IPVision - http://tinyurl.com/y8allak
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ampletouch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we've already have the cameras installed.
I know I should use the datasheets and I did. I knew how much is the fps. the thing is the quality is not impressing.

I have a P3344-VE installed out of my office. the quality is just fantastic.
Axis should keep up with its CMOS sensors.
IPCamSi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of thought that the uses the whole sensor and then scales the image.

If the camera was to crop the image for a lower resolution then the lower the resolution you choose the more zoomed in the image would look.

If you change resolution the area the camera captures is still the same so the camera is still using all the pixels in the image sensor it is just converting it to a smaller resolution.
itsokrelax
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crops as in doesn't display all the pixels but every other one or so.
IPVision - http://tinyurl.com/y8allak
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed