IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asante Voyager 1.3MP camera for $100! Excellent!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
klas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Asante Voyager 1.3MP camera for $100! Excellent! Reply with quote

Had a pleasure to play with that camera for today. I have to say I am impressed for what you get. Also, I was able to compare to Axis 207MW and here my initial thoughts

Axis 207MW vs Voyager

Day image quality - Axis has an edge here. Indoor Voyager is slightly grainy in the shadows. I haven't done extensive testing outdoors yet.

Colors: Voyager colors seem to be off, so if you are concerned about this, I wouldn't recommended it.

Sharpness - Axis lens appear a lot sharper

Lens - I love wide angle lens with Axis, with Voyager has too narrow angle for my taste

Night capabililty - it's a bit tough to judge because Axis is slightly better than Voyager if used without IRs, but still useless. On the other hand Voyager happened to have IRs and once you turn them on you forget about Axis

UI Performance - Axis has tons on functionality and has quick built in IP software. Voyager's UI is only working in IE and very slow to load, unless you plan to use it a lot it's not a huge issue.

Megapixel performance - Voyager is sluggish. It's not fps issue, but something else. When I compare VGA 15 fps and then Megapixel 15 fps there is about 1 second delay for MP playback.

Features - Axis as you know has tons of them, but Voyager has enough features for basic home user.

Wireless performance - Voyager has slightly stronger signal then Axis, but both perform about the same. Axis also is very sensitive and sometimes I get wireless signal loss.

Design/Size - Voyager has a good build quality and only about 20% taller then Axis

Price: $300 vs $100, is Axis worth more? 2 years ago yes, today... I would pick another Voyager for basic home use (baby cam, cat cam, whatever cam). If you want sharpness, image quality and overall performance 207MW is still a winner in my book.

http://www.asante.com/products/SecureNetCam/Voyager1.asp

Last edited by klas on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:05 am; edited 3 times in total
klas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does anyone have experience with this camera? Seems like a great deal for Megapixel one.
klas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many views and no help at all. Anyway, decided to give it a shot and placed an order will compare to my 3 year old Axis 207MW which is also 1.3MP.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks (2-pg brochure) of it, it

1. Has an underpowered processer
2. Can't do MPEG4 above XGA (1024x768)
3. Only specs "up to 30 fps" but given it can't do full-size MPEG4, it likely can't get more than a few FPS at higher resolutions, nevermind the blurb about "15fps in M-JPEG SXGA node" (huge bandwidth use assuming it can do that)
4. Specs at 5 Lux, and lux spec is always overstated (no "standard" for this spec, in any case) - even the 207mw "specs" 2 Lux, and its low-light is poor -- it probably wants a LOT of light

If those aren't real problems for you: for $100 American, and if it is reliable, and lasts more than a year, it would be a good buy. The biggest problem on paper is that it can't do MPEG4 at full resolution, and the FPS isn't properly listed (nevemind the "true" FPS).
klas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth a try though, as I don't see any other alternatives and Axis 207MW as you mentioned horrible in low light. So, once I get it, I'll post my thoughts on it.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the best image you can to

imageshack.com

Pick the option to not resize; the quality should be close to what it was when uploaded.

Why you or someone might ask? Because a camera says it can do "high resolution" or mega-pixel doesn't mean the quality is there. The 207mw you have is pretty good, even for outdoor use (high dynamic range, so long as there is light). If you can get one snapshot of each (the best of), of the same scene, that would be great to look at.
klas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I requested them to email me a video sample and they did. Looks good to me at least for day light. I should get mine this week.
klas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated first post with my thoughts on Voyager
350zx6r

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you like the camera now? is it still worth it? let me know i am between this camera and a foscam... but I want something reliable and that can be easy to access? do you know if this camera can do web access? thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed