IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!! Astak MOLE ip camera!!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> IP Video Surveillance Software
ierv69

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Help!! Astak MOLE ip camera!!!! Reply with quote

Hi!! I need help finding a good software that works with this camera. This is a new model camera and i can't find a software that work with it. Please help..here some info about the camera..

http://www.molecamera.com/
Tech guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found recording software for this camera there serious are issues and problems. The first problem is that even the recording software I have does not use the best claimed features of this camera.

But, first a comment about the mole camera.

The camera has great marketing and SALES HYPE. But leaves most to the customers imagination---. thats what sales hype does, it sells the product. BUT intentionally LEAVES OUT IMPORTANT technical information:

The reason for buying the camera for most people is the alleged EASE OF USE. BUT THIS IS FROUGHT WTH PROBLEMS: Here they are in ugly details.

In order to be "self--configuring" like the adverts, it uses a proxy server hidden from comparison shoppers. THE proxy server that is used is ONLY provided once you buy the camera. What if you don't want to pay for the service? YOU ARE STUCK my friend.

The service is YOICS---which automatcally configures the DDNS service. What wrong with this? Nothing except you have strict limitations as to how long and how many times you may look at YOUR OWN CAMERAS.

Here is the TERMS of service the fine print hidden from the consumer until AFTER they buy the mole camera.

http://www.yoics.com/category/services/ You are only allowed 15 min viewing time per day with free service and 2 hours MAXIMUM with the 'pro' service

This is an additional charge per month on yearly contract.

Here is the software; www.videolan.com also you can use at http://www.h264soft.com/

I found a BETTER and cheaper PAN TILT camera with additional features.. No extra fees...and it has free 32 channel sofware with it.

visit www.Gotchacam.biz The Gotcha! cameras are self-networking AND self-configuring. There is a difference. No PROXY DDNS serv ice is required. free live demos on site for Internet Explorer browser. the software works with any browser and they support I Phone i Phone 3GS I Pod Touch II and I Pod Touch III They have 6 different camera designs as well as a standalone ip server for those with analog cameras and they have a self-networking NAS media server..
Maple

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: mole user~ Reply with quote

well, tech guy, let me ask you one little question, do you really won a MOLE? I am a MOLE user and it works as perfect as what i expected. You mentioned about the proxy server that establish the connection. I use it 24/7 without paying a penny for the service. It is FREE!!! I have no idea what are they offering for the pro service. But I'm very happy with the current one which already support all the features, WIFI, youtube, and email.

And ierv69, may be i can help with your question. You mentioned about software, do you mean a software that can play the saved files?
Tech guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: mole user~ Reply with quote

Maple wrote:
well, tech guy, let me ask you one little question, do you really won a MOLE?

Yes, I have a molscamera. It uses Yoics free version DDNS server. The YOICS terms of service WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO USE IT FOR THE advertised applications such as nanny cam or elder care camera. Yoics has strict limitations in the Terms of Service. Please read the service agreement with YOICS. In addition, it is a Terms of Service Violation to use YOICS or any other DDNS service with the AT&T or T-Mobile cellular data services. Why is that important? Because my kids are THE most important thing to me. When they are in the company of an adult nanny, I want to be able to check in on them anytime I want. thats what the molrecam advertisement advertises! But it can not be done WHEN AND WHERE and how many times I want.---like the advert says. The camera observation time is limited to how many times and how long per day.. Read the agreement.---even the paid for PRO version of YOICS has serious limitations on use. Its all in the fine print of the YOICS contract. The molrcam ONLY uses YOICS DDNS services.

You will soon learn that one day you won't see any images from the camera. Thats because the YOICS DDNS proxy can not ping less than 5-15 minutes intervals. That means 5-15 minutes of NO VIDEO. Professional security cameras that use DDNS will usually have multiple and different DDNS servers, one for each camera, and a different one for each dedicated NVR. There is no dedicated NVR with the mulcamera.

You just stated that.
If you have recorded video there are two programs that will talk to the camera for recording. They both cost money, but limited use trial/ free versions are available.,

One use that I do NOT recommend for the camera is as an indoor security camera. Your camera is NOT COVERT, the bright red leds will point in the direction of the camera lens---JUST EXACTLY like the website advert. A burglar will see that and either laugh, kick it onto the floor or take it with them! Thats their problem now.

I prefer COVERT security cameras. where the crook can NOT see where the camera is pointing. The IR wavelength of this camera was measured at 808 nm. That looks like a BRIGHT red light to a burglar or anyone else in the room. Again--look carefully at the video on the camera mfg website. BRIGHT RED IR LEDS , that are NOT covert accept to a blind burglar.

I have tested many different ip cameras. Most are expensive toys. But there are inexpensive professional ip cameras that will do the job at higher quality and lower prices, and have much better features.

Use any search engine try keywords "ipcam", and "self-networking" and you will find many other ip camera solutions from different manufacturers.

If you visit the Walmart electronics website, look what other consumers have said about all of the cameras by this manufacturer. I am not impressed with the track record.

I am a MOLE user and it works as perfect as what i expected. You mentioned about the proxy server that establish the connection. I use it 24/7 without paying a penny for the service. It is FREE!!!

Its FREE ONLY if you don't make too many connections per day or watch it for too long., The PRO version gives you more viewing rights but is also seriously limited. I suggest no-ip.com free ddns as an alternative. You can also try LOGMEINITPRO at $24/mo and that works the best that I have tried for DDNS services

I have no idea what are they offering for the pro service. But I'm very happy with the current one which already support all the features, WIFI, youtube, and email.

Thats fine as a "toy use" or for occasional use, but not for serious use as a security camera.

And ierv69, may be i can help with your question. You mentioned about software, do you mean a software that can play the saved files?

There are several video decoder/recorders. My favorite is free---VLC Vidolan or Tim Hillone h264 cam software

My favorite inexpensive ipcameras are the Gotcha! models. They have six different cameras for different applications including wireless, WI-FI, all USA cellular carriers, CDMA, GSM,3G and 4G. The sofwtare for all of them is FREE. They also have IR cameras (inside and outdoor) models. I like the fact that you can control the Pan-Tilt Gotcha! camera from your IPphone or i Pod touch by gently touching the screen the camera moves and audio is synched with the video.

In 2010, there will be more ipcameras on the market. I like the self-networking types because they do not require a computer that can crash at any time. I heard that many new consumer ip cameras will be available in HD resolution, including the Gotcha! brand ipcameras. The CES show will be here soon, and I will be watching the news.
yoicsinc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ierv69

What kind of software are you looking for?

@ Tech Guy

Just a couple of clarifications to your comments. If anyone has any particular questions, feel free to PM me.

>> In order to be "self--configuring" like the adverts, it uses a proxy server hidden
>> from comparison shoppers. THE proxy server that is used is ONLY provided
>> once you buy the camera. What if you don't want to pay for the service? YOU
>> ARE STUCK my friend.

Not sure what you mean my 'hidden' Yoics is listed on the packaging & the service is available for free, for not only the Mole, but for any network connected devices (e.g. remote desktop, file sharing, etc.). We even provide free updated firmware for other network devices.

>>The service is YOICS---which automatcally configures the DDNS service.

Although Yoics provides similar capabilities to DDNS, it is not DDNS. In particular DDNS requires that you leave a particular port open on your router, which we feel is a pretty strong security vulnerability - so we use a random port per connection & encrypt all of the data.

>> What wrong with this? Nothing except you have strict limitations as to how >> long and how many times you may look at YOUR OWN CAMERAS.

The limitations that you cite are only related to connecting via http://yoics.com, if you download the Yoics desktop - all connections are direct P2P and are not limited. Even in the case of a 'web access' keep in mind that the limitations are for contiguous use. In our years of working with IP cameras, only a small few need to maintain a connection all the time & per the first part of the reply, those users can get that by using the desktop.

The mole will also work with any browser, including that on the iPhone,.

Best

Ryo (from Yoics).
Tech guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Yoics, thanks for the information. I didnt know about your port, I thought you might have used 80,8080,25,or 2500. These are popular with DDNS services.

I like the Gotcha! brand cameras because they have a truly unique solution! It takes seconds to go online with any Gotcha! camera. Plug in the power and any router configured for DHCP and the firmware in the camera does the rest. I have had these cameras streaming onlne 24/7 across continents with zero problems. I used a program called wireshark and watched as a Gotcha! camera self-configured itself. I noticed that it looked like the old UFO movie ET. But this little ET has ONE job---PHONE HOME! It does that amazingly! Wireshark indicated that it opened and closed router ports quickly and automatically from inside the VPN. I counted many ports opening and closing seemlessly to make sure that the Gotcha! camera ALWAYS had a connection to the internet cloud. I figured out two of the several techniques, but haven't yet figured out the whole story about how it works.

One HUGE advantage of this technique, is that when the camera is on any cellular data network, it does not lose the connection. My research found that cellular networks change public ip addresses frequently, and that is one reason why cell networks do not work well with ip canmeras. In fact several cell companies have put strict restrictions on A) streaming video from unattended cameras and 2) DO not want users to use DDNS services such as no-ip or Logmein It and others. Look carefully at the ATT Terms of service. If they find any remote pinging of ports or port sharing of anyhting that looks "automatic" or machine controlled---whatever that means, they will shut off your connection via their QOS excuses. Only one USA carrier---Sprint, will allow you to buy a dedicated pubic ip address at only $5/month for camera access use. All USA carriers have limited data band usage to no more than 5 GB per month. EXCEPT with these Gotcha! cameras! The software for three major smartphone operating systems was approved by all carriers including Symbian OS, Windows mobile and Apple Iphone/ I Pod Touch (WIMAX and WIFI) TBA.

I have personally run these portable cameras for months on end 24/7 continuously at D-1 resolution and 30fps, with NO losses of connection! ALl 100% automatic via the camera networking firmware. In fact, I have done better than this with three 3.1 megapixel HD cameras running streaming video 24/7 by six months while running from a LINKSYS 3G 5 port wireless mobile router and using a datacard from Sprint. The cameras were miouynted in a vehicle and ran from 1 FPS to 20 FPS in color or IR for the test period. All cameras were streaming at the same time. The uplink speed varied from 60 Khz to 800 k . The cameras automatically handled the video buffer requirements.

I have done this same experiment with Cradlepoint routers using from D-1 to 5 mp resolution ip cameras, without EVER having lost a connection!

The bottom line is that the NEW Gotcha! brand cameras work even better, since I can use them on ATT 3G networks as well as Sprint EVDO Rev A networks (using different data cards--of course).

The best system is a Gotcha! pan Tilt connected to a Cradlepoint portable router on one end (say a car or motor home). I like the Sprint thumbdrive on the Cradlepoint. The video seemlessly streams up to ten multicast D1 streams to the internet using Sprint fiber backbone. The other end uses an APPLE I POD TOUCH. The IPOD TOUCH connects to the cloud via any WIFI- hot spot. You can also do the same with the builtin WIFI HOT SPOT of the Cradlepoint router.

If you want you can substitute any IPhone for the IPod Touch and use the ATT or T Mobile wireless network on either or both ends of the wireless network.

This is much better than using a wireless mesh network or point to point microwave fixed link.

Example: Motor home or car can use this system MOBILE or FIXED and the camera can always be seen as long as their is a WIFi or 3G/CDMA connection. Which means 90% of the USA habited geography. The observer/controller can be ANYWHERE in the world as long as there can be a connection to the cloud either via WIFI or cell data networks.

The FUTURE IS ALREADY HERE! NO TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED TO SET UP THESE SYSTEMS. They work autonmously!

I always have several different cameras online at anytime from wherever I happen to be anywhere except maybe--- Antarctica!

FYI--I am working on a new camera system that uses an ip camera that streams video and audio LIVE---NOT recorded--- from a skydiver from 14,000 feet to landing. This system under development uses a circular polarity antenna pointed vertically with a PEAR shaped lobe reaching 14,000 ASL, all meeting FCC requirements for the class of service.

The camera is a micro camera at D1 and 30 FPS NTSC streaming to a Gotcha! Ip module with an H.264 output via the appropriate FCC approved RF band. The receivers all use matched GAASFET RF preamplifiers. The skydiver will be going 122 MPH relative to the TX-RX. Both with circular polarity antennas. The skydiver will be spinning relative to the TXRX module on the ground requiring circular RF polarity with a huge DB loss in signal from V to H. Very Happy
fullyfuly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Astak Mole Recording Software Reply with quote

I find that the Astak Mole Camera has a great deal of flexibility in its included camera viewing software, however if you need something more complex there are alot of options out there. Look for H.264 recording software such as NetCamCenter. I am not endorsing this product just suggesting options. Alot of these softwares have free trails so find out what works for you free of charge.

Bottomline is the Astak Mole Camera is the best out there without spending tons of $$$. Look at the feature sets and you will soon find out that this is the best camera for the money.

If you want to check it out.... http://www.psicompany.com/astak-mole-camera-network-camera/
Tech guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that your camera has restricted uses rather than flexibility like you state.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself about your camera.
Does it require a DDNS service? Yes!---YOICS
Does it self-network ON ITS OWN without any DDNS service? NO!
Can you unplug it from the router and physically move it to any other LAN, connect it up to a DIFFERENT router and have it network ITSELF in less than ten seconds? NO!

To me, flexibility means FLEXIBILITY---that means I can take the camera whenever and wherever I want, and in seconds put my camera on the local LAN and the internet cloud. NO fiddling around with controls or settings. Tjhe Gotcha! ip camera IS ALWAYS READY TO go online and stream. All you need is a source of power (I have even run it on batteries), and any connection to a LAN, especially if it connects to the internet cloud.

The Gotcha! cam Pan-Tilt- wireless model can do all of these and more. There are at least three different ways to see the camera video.

You do have a point in that in ONE of the Gotcha! cam methods requires Active X controls from Internet Explorer, but the two other methods DO NOT REQUIRE INTERNET EXPLORER. I have run mine wirth many different browsers from Firefox to Sea Monkey.

The latest news is that viewing / controlling software is now available for not only smartphones using Symbian OS or Windows Mobile OS but also supports APPLE I phone 3G/ 3GS and I Pod Touch. All available at the APPLE App store.

Lets try this for a flexibility experiment? You already know how easy and fast the the Gotcha! can Pan-Tilt wireless is to set up!

Using ONLY an IPOD Touch connected to any Wi-FI access to the cloud ---will IMMEDIATELY take you to YOUR Gotcha! ip self-networking camera. THERE IS NOTHING TO DO--ITS ALWAYS ONLINE. If someone disconnects the camera from the router and reconnects to ANY OTHER router---JUST LIKE little ET from the movie E.T. --- IT ALWAYS PHONES HOME!

If you set up the Gotcha! camera, leave it to "do its thing" and take your IPOD TOUCH as the controller. Note- You can also use the IPHONE 3 GS , but the IPOD Touch HAS FREE access to the internet via Wi-FI and has a higher potential bandwidth than 3G cell phone networks. The data access or roaming minutes are not ticking away SSS as with the APPLE I PHONE 3 GS on a cellular data network and there are NO ANNUAL CONTRACTS.

THIS is what I call flexibility. You can change cellular carriers ANYTIME and use other networks- IT CALLED freedom of choice.

Price- Is also a winner. The Gotcha! cam Pan-Tilt wireless also has a lower price. 32 channel recording software, mounting bracket, and power supply is included free.

All you need for fast inexpensive and stealthy camera use is a Netbook or an Ipod Touch and you are ready to go. I have three of these Gotcha! cameras. One is in my car and allows me to watch my car from inside the vehicle. If the car alarm goes off, or if the video detection is intitiated the camera send me an email with three attached photos (pre alarm, alarm and post alarm). Its internal video and audio recorder also starts recording. I have another Gotcha! cam in my house and I keep another Gotcha! camera available which I share with my wife. It is often used as a nanny cam, pet cam, and general fun cam.

Its nice to be able to slide your finger on the I POD Touch screen to point the camera---IT IS VERY COOL! The camera also supports 10-20 separate video streams plus rstp mobile phone video streams as well as synched audio and automatically controls frame rate and bandwidth in th event of changes in available bandwidth. You can also lock the frame rate or bandwidth independently or remotely while streaming.

Did I mention it also "talks" to its own self-networking NAS storage device that has an additional 2 Terabytes of media storage? The GOTCHA! NAS also acts as multimedia storage for Sony Playstation, Xbox, and can be easily be configured for a P2P server on Bit Torrent. I call THIS FEATURES FLEXIBLE.

Two new 32 ch recording softwares will soon be available to support additional operating systems including Snow Leopard OS X, Linux Distributions and Unix. For forensic use ---it is not required to use the recording software to render the video. The video is compatible with OPEN SOURCE video tools.

My neighbor is a Realtor and she uses the Gotcha! cams to remotely monitor vacant or foreclosed houses to deter copper theft and vandalism of valuables from the vacant homes.

Very Happy
timhillone
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following ip camera software can support Astak Mole ip camera! it can get h264 video stream and audio stream from this ip camera directly! ptz control it, record it.
barrierone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Astak Mole where and how much? Reply with quote

Tech guy wrote:
I found that your camera has restricted uses rather than flexibility like you state.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself about your camera.
Does it require a DDNS service? Yes!---YOICS
Does it self-network ON ITS OWN without any DDNS service? NO!
Can you unplug it from the router and physically move it to any other LAN, connect it up to a DIFFERENT router and have it network ITSELF in less than ten seconds? NO!

To me, flexibility means FLEXIBILITY---that means I can take the camera whenever and wherever I want, and in seconds put my camera on the local LAN and the internet cloud. NO fiddling around with controls or settings. Tjhe Gotcha! <a href="http://www.networkcamerareviews.com" style="color: #333333; text-decoration: none;">ip camera</a> IS ALWAYS READY TO go online and stream. All you need is a source of power (I have even run it on batteries), and any connection to a LAN, especially if it connects to the internet cloud.

The Gotcha! cam Pan-Tilt- wireless model can do all of these and more. There are at least three different ways to see the camera video.

You do have a point in that in ONE of the Gotcha! cam methods requires Active X controls from Internet Explorer, but the two other methods DO NOT REQUIRE INTERNET EXPLORER. I have run mine wirth many different browsers from Firefox to Sea Monkey.

The latest news is that viewing / controlling software is now available for not only smartphones using Symbian OS or Windows Mobile OS but also supports APPLE I phone 3G/ 3GS and I Pod Touch. All available at the APPLE App store.

Lets try this for a flexibility experiment? You already know how easy and fast the the Gotcha! can Pan-Tilt wireless is to set up!

Using ONLY an IPOD Touch connected to any Wi-FI access to the cloud ---will IMMEDIATELY take you to YOUR Gotcha! ip self-networking camera. THERE IS NOTHING TO DO--ITS ALWAYS ONLINE. If someone disconnects the camera from the router and reconnects to ANY OTHER router---JUST LIKE little ET from the movie E.T. --- IT ALWAYS PHONES HOME!

If you set up the Gotcha! camera, leave it to "do its thing" and take your IPOD TOUCH as the controller. Note- You can also use the IPHONE 3 GS , but the IPOD Touch HAS FREE access to the internet via Wi-FI and has a higher potential bandwidth than 3G cell phone networks. The data access or roaming minutes are not ticking away SSS as with the APPLE I PHONE 3 GS on a cellular data network and there are NO ANNUAL CONTRACTS.

THIS is what I call flexibility. You can change cellular carriers ANYTIME and use other networks- IT CALLED freedom of choice.

Price- Is also a winner. The Gotcha! cam Pan-Tilt wireless also has a lower price. 32 channel recording software, mounting bracket, and power supply is included free.

All you need for fast inexpensive and stealthy camera use is a Netbook or an Ipod Touch and you are ready to go. I have three of these Gotcha! cameras. One is in my car and allows me to watch my car from inside the vehicle. If the car alarm goes off, or if the video detection is intitiated the camera send me an email with three attached photos (pre alarm, alarm and post alarm). Its internal video and audio recorder also starts recording. I have another Gotcha! cam in my house and I keep another Gotcha! camera available which I share with my wife. It is often used as a nanny cam, pet cam, and general fun cam.

Its <a href="http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/software/nice/index.html" style="color: #333333; text-decoration: none;">nice</a> to be able to slide your finger on the I POD Touch screen to point the camera---IT IS VERY COOL! The camera also supports 10-20 separate video streams plus rstp mobile phone video streams as well as synched audio and automatically controls frame rate and bandwidth in th event of changes in available bandwidth. You can also lock the frame rate or bandwidth independently or remotely while streaming.

Did I mention it also "talks" to its own self-networking NAS storage device that has an additional 2 Terabytes of media storage? The GOTCHA! NAS also acts as multimedia storage for <a href="http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/networkcameras/sony/index.html" style="color: #333333; text-decoration: none;">Sony</a> Playstation, Xbox, and can be easily be configured for a P2P server on Bit Torrent. I call THIS FEATURES FLEXIBLE.

Two new 32 ch recording softwares will soon be available to support additional operating systems including Snow Leopard OS X, Linux Distributions and Unix. For forensic use ---it is not required to use the recording software to render the video. The video is compatible with OPEN SOURCE video tools.

My neighbor is a Realtor and she uses the Gotcha! cams to remotely monitor vacant or foreclosed houses to deter copper theft and vandalism of valuables from the vacant homes.

Very Happy

Tech guy,

You seem to be leaning towards Gotcha Cams for some very obvious reasons which you explain in great detail. Very useful. I am trying to decide between the Mole and the Gotcha Cams you rave about.

I looked for the gotcha cams and can only find them on their website and for comparable mole camera I will actually pay more ($279) for gotcha cam then mole ($249.99 free ship) cam. Also, I do not believe the gotcha cam works with iphone first generation. We would like to use it to monitor from anywhere around the house our newborn while he sleeps in his crib. We have a Linksys router WPA2 enabled router (WIFI). We also would like to use this camera in the future to monitor the house/pets/kid from wherever at any given time. So, I am thinking long term here.

If you could point me to website (seller) and price for mole comparable (Gotcha model) camera I would really appreciated it.

My basic setup will be at home with our wifi to monitor our baby in the first year using our first gen ihones. Wife mainly as she will be working out of the house and she want to be able to see baby while she works in another room.

Thanks
Tech guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that Gotcha! cameras are great way to save money on professional network camera installs. I have never had a callback because of router rebooting, static ip or broadband connection changes which are common problems with industrial network camera systems installed in facilities that do not have a dedicated IT department.

You are asking and assuming several things about these two cameras. They are not similar other than they are both network cameras Thats it. A Honda is not the same as a Yugo but they are both cars.

1) The Mole camera and others require the use of YOICS or similar type of DDNS system. Also please read the Terms of Service for Yoics. They have different levels of service for viewing or controlling the camera off the LAN that the camera is on (usually internet).

2) The Gotcha! cameras are unique in that they almost never require knowledge or time required for Network Address Translation, DDNS, Port Forwarding or ip set up. All you need is most any consumer type router--
Your Linksys should work fine. Tere are two other firms which try to use the same idea. These companies do not support 30 FPS at VGA resolution and they so not have all these features. The number one thing other than simplicity of use and install with the Gotcha cameras is RELIABILITY. They look "toylike" but don't be fooled. I have taken simlar design $500 professional CCTV ip cameras apart and they are almost the same inside.

If you want to pay more, I can provide you with some names of the professional Ip camera companies. These cameras are designed to have prefessional quality at low system costs but are the same in most other networking respects..

Here is a sketch on how the Gotcha! camera works. It uses UNIQUE one of a kind software that communcates with a bank of servers on the internet in a non-typical P2P arrangement. FREE NO T.O.S. use them 24/7/365.

When you plug a Gotcha! camera into a router set on DHCP it will WITHIN seconds automatically register the camera via a VPN tunnel to the servers. The servers collect all the data between routers and cameras that is encoded from the camera. All you need are two numbers. The camera ID number and a unique passcode 4 characters or more. THATS IT---nothing more to do but sit it where you want and forget it.

I have NEVER had any Gotcha! camera fail. I can't speak for other cameras.

Software---there is lots of software that wortks with Gotcha! cameras. The letter below from TIMHILLONE has software that works well. In addition there is free NVR software for 36 channels as well as software for the most of the latest models of smartphones that comes with the cameras. There are many other software that have different features for observing or recording. I think there is at least one way to observe the camera images live via the OLD I-phone. Try this method and see if it works FREE. Forward Port 554 on the router to the Gotcha! cam internal ip address. By lightly setting the cursor and rt clicking you will see the camera ip address assigned to the camera by the router. (use autoserch function at bottom of screen)

Next--- Loate your LAN public ip address by visiitng whatismyipaddress.com or similar. NO PAID FOR YOICS or registration and monthly subscription is required. Set up a free DDNS service like www.no-ip.com or www.Dyndns.com Next if you have JAVA on your mobile phone do the following-

Open your browser on the mobile phone and select GOTO address.

type as follows in the address and you are done. If Iphone model one has Java, this should work. Type in the following in the URL address

rtsp://your public ip address/camid.campassword

The cam ID and password defaultsa come with each camera. You can change the password any time.

Prices- The Gotcha! camera is sold mostly in other countries. The lowest wholesale and retail prices are in the USA. The current prices is excellent and can not compare with any other cameras with ONE exception. There are three OEM manufacturers of professional cameras that are essentially the same, but cost MINIMUM 2-3 times more. I use both types without hesitation. The professional camera design uses 1/3 Inch sensor instead of a 1/4 inch sensor. Also a few of the professional cameras are fancier looking. They have one Professional vandal dome-fixed. All these camera features can be surpassed by using the Gotcha ip module. The Gotcha! ip module will turn any analog speed dome with most ALL of its existing controls and functions such as heater and blower , PAN TILT ZOOM, focus IR lighting , motion detection inpout output sensors etc. Just pliug the Speed dome into theGotcha! ip server and you can have a 1/2" day night CCD at up to FULL D-1 resolution at 30 FPS with no time wasted and no callbacks. Plug it all together add power and its on the network. IT USES the SAME software as the inexpensive Gotcha! cameras. Also other software from h264.com -- Timhillone - and many others are available. Some free and some for a fee depending on the vendor.

When you ad other devices such as the HOME PLUGS you have an almost unlimited number of ways to network these cameras..
Tech guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the professional ip cameras are distributed by Genie LLP and the consumer type models by www.Gotchacam.biz They now have distribution in the Philippines. These are the best self-configuring, self-networking ip cameras for the price. The Gotcha! cams are available in six models.
lowerpower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: mole camera Reply with quote

I use the mole camera with the yoics desktop and have no problem running 24/7 connections to it.

it even records events to my private Youtube account.

I use it on my laptop on the road and have never had a problem connecting to it, and the video quality is outstanding. Better than my axis and dlink cameras.

I'm very happy with it and it works with my iphone too.

-lp
joey252000

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: mole Reply with quote

wow good info tech guy. I wish I found this web site before I bought the mole.
I just posted this in the general section.

Hey Guys, New member here. Great forum.

I just bought the mole and have concerns with not being able to deselect or turn off the the microphone. If you have your camera on when you are home it's like "bugging" your own house. With the info going out on the internet.
joe

I am new to this so bear with me,
I want to record 24/7 to a harddrive on my network. What size HD would one need to record 1 week and then overwrite. I should be able to do this without buying a dedicated DVR, Correct?
NoDuplicates

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip the Yoics installation and go directly to the firmware. Why be limited and besides, Yoics adds a lot of latency (delay).
Here's how to do it.
1) search for, download and install "Angry IP Scanner". It's free. Your AV software may someday say it is a virus, it is not. I have used for more than 5 years.
2) hook up the Astac Mole with a cable to your router.
3) use the IP scanner to find it's IP address on your network
4) type this address in your web browser
5) Go to the "Advanced" tab and click on "Network" if not already there.
6) set up a fixed IP address. Eg. 192.168.1.125. Click "Apply"
7) reconnect again using the new fixed IP address
Cool open another tab in you browser and go to your router's firmware. E.g., for Linksys it is 192.168.1.1..
9) go to the tab that allows you to setup port forwarding. E.g. for Linksys this is under "Applications and Gaming". Set up a port that forwards to the camera's fixed IP address. Eg. the port range 1250 to 1250 forwards to 192.168.1.125. Save your settings
10) go back to the camera firmware and under "Advanced/Network" change the Http port from 80 to the same port as the forwarded port (E.g, 1250). Now reconnect using the IP address followed by a colon followed by the port number (e.g, http://192.168.1.125:1250, you will need to type an http:// in front of it).
11) Under "Advanced/User", set up passwords for Admin, User and Guest. Apply.
12) in a new browser tab, go to www.dyndns.org. Setup a basic free account for a Dynamic Name Service (DNS). Create a dynamic name that is "yourname.dyndns.org". Eg, jdoe.dyndns.org. Update the IP address associated with the this DNS to that of your computer. It will be listed next to or below the new DNS you created. The purpose of this is to create an "alias" for your computer's IP address so you don't have to remember numbers. Eg., http://jdoe.dyndns.org:1250 will get you to your camera. www.dyndns.org is free if you update the IP address every 30 days, otherwise it is $30/year for 5 DNSs - worth it.
13) go back to your camera's firmware and go to "Advanced/Remote Access". Turn Dynamic DNS ON. Select DYNDNS.ORG as your provider. Enter the same usernamd and password that you entered when you created your dyndns account. Your domain is "yourname.dyndns.org", e.g., "jdoe.dyndns.org". Turn UPnP Port Forwarding ON.
13a) your ISP will periodically change your IP address. The Dynamic DNS entry in the camera's firmware gives it the capability to notify dyndns.org when this happens and force it to update faster than it would on its own. Such things take a while to propagate throught the web.

So there you have it. No need for Yoics. No restrictions. Faster connection since you not going through Yoics servers.

The next best thing would be to find software that allows you to display multiple cams at the same time in one window. I haven't looked for this yet but I am sure it's out there at all kinds of price points.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> IP Video Surveillance Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed