IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gigabit network switch with poe network cam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
trauts14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: gigabit network switch with poe network cam Reply with quote

on a previous post somebody (40th floor i think) suggested i use a gigbit poe switch with my multiple poe megapixel cams. lets pretend my router has 6 poe ports, would a 6 port poe switch be better?

my concern is that my home network speed will become slow as heck with many cams. will a network switch prevent this? if so, how?
sadik007
Junky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: gigabit network switch with poe network cam Reply with quote

trauts14 wrote:
will a network switch prevent this? if so, how?

I think you refer to network HUB and not Switch. Hubs are not made any more, very hard to find, old networks.. Also router is also a switch (plus other network services)..

So.. POE or No-POE 8 ports are network switch these days. What you should consider is managed or non-managed switch.. Managed switch are twice as expensive..
trauts14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sadik007,

if i am running 6 megapixel network cams on the internet will a switch prevent my home network from slowing down or is my home internet connection gonna be slow since i will have 6 cams running at the same time.
magohn
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trauts14 wrote:
@sadik007,

if i am running 6 megapixel network cams on the internet will a switch prevent my home network from slowing down or is my home internet connection gonna be slow since i will have 6 cams running at the same time.

Hello,

I had to add a switch when my camera count went above 4 (VGA). I also created a seperate subnet as the continuous camera activity throttled all my bandwidth to my regular PC's if all on the same subnet.

I purchased a Netgear switch with 12 POE ports and 12 'regular" ports. So far I really like it. I then added a second network card to the PC that hosts the CCTV software. One card goes to my camera netgear switch and one card goes to my regular router. That way I have internet access to the CCTV PC so that it can serve data to the Web interface for the CCTV software.

I would think that 6 Megapixel cameras are going to need a similar setup. Thats more bandwidth than I was using and my network was almost unusable.

HTH, Magohn
sadik007
Junky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trauts14 wrote:
@sadik007,
if i am running 6 megapixel network cams on the internet will a switch prevent my home network from slowing down

Refer to this link
http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3512&highlight=

your options:
2 networks (192.168.0.* and 192.168.1.*) or managed switches

Do look in to managed switches. Have seen them do great jobs on server farms, should work on IP cams as well (same traffic)

I would separate my network, create 2 independent networks..

Creating link between these two will require some IT skills or "2 wan port" router (not cheap, have used SnapGear in past)... Other option if you are using PC as NVR, have 2 NIC cards..

If you are in to IT, then flash home router with DD-WRT firmware, and then active Vlan port, to link 2 networks (non PC NVR version)..

example of 2 WAN port gizmo
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5267
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed