IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Cat5E Cat6) + RJ-45 + Crimper = Headache

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: (Cat5E Cat6) + RJ-45 + Crimper = Headache Reply with quote

(Cat5E Cat6) + RJ-45 + Crimper = Headache

ANYONE working with IP will need to run ethernet cables. I assume many buy premade cables and over pay. I like to buy bulk cable in 1000' spools, cut the cable to length, and crimp on the RJ-45 plugs.

Depending on the type of cable the job can be fairly easy and other times it can be a pain. Regardless, it is VERY TIME CONSUMING. The time is spent seperating the twisted pairs, aligning the wires in the proper sequence and PRAY the wires do not shift when placing the wires into the RJ-45.

Question: Is there a magical tool the will ensure the wires stay in place while slipping the wires into RJ-45 plug?

If there is no magical tool, is there a special technique?

John
New Jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the right tool makes the job easier, and you should have a tester. The trick for me is only buying solid copper cables. Also, if it's Cat6, make sure you have the right ends, different guage wire than Cat5.

There's a misconception that making your own cables are cheaper, frankly I leave the complicated wiring to electricians and if I can run a pre-made cable I do (last job had 150' underground runs, lots of trenching and long fish tape, out of my labor skill range). I get them from a local merchant, monoprice.com and their cables are priced really well and come in colors so I can have a different color cable for each camera or purpose. They also make excellent flat screen mounts that are very inexpensive. I mounted a 22" LCD for the cameras on the wall, the mount cost under $4.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote:
Sure, the right tool makes the job easier, and you should have a tester. The trick for me is only buying solid copper cables. Also, if it's Cat6, make sure you have the right ends, different guage wire than Cat5.

There's a misconception that making your own cables are cheaper, frankly I leave the complicated wiring to electricians and if I can run a pre-made cable I do (last job had 150' underground runs, lots of trenching and long fish tape, out of my labor skill range). I get them from a local merchant, monoprice.com and their cables are priced really well and come in colors so I can have a different color cable for each camera or purpose. They also make excellent flat screen mounts that are very inexpensive. I mounted a 22" LCD for the cameras on the wall, the mount cost under $4.

One major thing I found out is never try to install RJ-45's on stranded cat5e wire. Use solid wire EXACTLY as you stated. I pulled the fuzz out of my bald head last time I attempted to crimp RJ-45's using stranded twisted pair wires.
Regardless, the process is time consumming. Sometimes I can install an RG-45 in 5 minutes, and other times it takes 20 minutes ands a few curse words. Anyway, I had to custom cut cables this afternoon for a new camera installation at 130 feet from my switch.

**By the way, the AXIS P1346 is up and running at it's intended location (link below will allow you access).

http://68.193.3.154:1346

Currently I got it configured to 1 fps at 2048x1536. Don't be surprised if you get lags as others may try to access it the same time and my bandwidth will dry up in a heartbeat even at 1 fps. I will be playing with the configuration during the next day or two. Also, I need to climb up the ladder (2.5 stories) to get a better focus so if you see my big fat bald head don't think it's a monster attacking the camera.

John
New Jersey
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As links. Sort of wide for inline images.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7962/p1346johnnyc.jpg

I scaled it a bit to fit on my screen, but then I could snapshot.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5259/remoteaxisp1346mjpeg201.jpg

The second is large since a jpg snapshot is the jpeg itself, though imageshack will re-encode to take out any bad stuff -- after further review, the imageshack pic is the same size as the original, so it looks like it doesn't re-encode anymore. At least not this time.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40th Floor wrote:
As links. Sort of wide for inline images.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7962/p1346johnnyc.jpg

I scaled it a bit to fit on my screen, but then I could snapshot.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5259/remoteaxisp1346mjpeg201.jpg

The second is large since a jpg snapshot is the jpeg itself, though imageshack will re-encode to take out any bad stuff -- after further review, the imageshack pic is the same size as the original, so it looks like it doesn't re-encode anymore. At least not this time.

Thanks (again) 40th Floor for loading jpg images.

I forgot to mention - For those that go through the live link to the camera, if you right mouse click on the live video image and select "Fullscreen" from the magical menu that appears, the live video feed will fit to your screen.

John
New Jersey
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that you put it up. At first I couldn't get anything. Turns out I was only expecting "small" frames, no larger than 320 KB. I can see that won't do, so I made a little option to set aside more. For this, at least 520 KB or so.

To put that into perspective, I've got a 3000 series vivotek-like that puts out (h.263) frames that you could stuff in a pocket, at only a few hundred bytes (p frames, but small i-frames too). You could probably stream 30 fps on a 56k modem. The funny thing is, they still sells those things (fcs-1010, vivotek 3112, etc.)
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great nightime image quality.
fotd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for someone who's never done it before I can see how it would be a pain. There are a couple tricks to keeping the cables straight, not sure if I could properly describe it here but I'll try.

Strip the cable about 1.5"-2", untwist the pairs and but keep them together. Organize your cables in the proper order, it's easy to do when the cables are long. Take your thumb and index finger and grab the bottom of the cables just above the shielding (so your thumb will hold about 1cm or so of the cables). Now what you do is while pinching at the bottom, use your other hand to grab the top of the loose cables and wiggle them back and forth (all at the same time). What this will do is tighten the cables up where you have them pinched and get them all straight. Only takes a second and you should have perfect ready to cut cables. Take your dykes cut off the excess cable and slide it home. Hope that makes sense to somebody, I just picture someone trying to organize cut to rj45 length cables, that would be nuts.

Someone mentioned the rj-45 ends, if you get the newer style cat6 ends they mostly come with insert guides that make it extremely easy for anyone to do. However to get them lined up and cut I still recommend the way I mentioned above.
itsokrelax
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotd wrote:
for someone who's never done it before I can see how it would be a pain. There are a couple tricks to keeping the cables straight, not sure if I could properly describe it here but I'll try.

Strip the cable about 1.5"-2", untwist the pairs and but keep them together. Organize your cables in the proper order, it's easy to do when the cables are long. Take your thumb and index finger and grab the bottom of the cables just above the shielding (so your thumb will hold about 1cm or so of the cables). Now what you do is while pinching at the bottom, use your other hand to grab the top of the loose cables and wiggle them back and forth (all at the same time). What this will do is tighten the cables up where you have them pinched and get them all straight. Only takes a second and you should have perfect ready to cut cables. Take your dykes cut off the excess cable and slide it home. Hope that makes sense to somebody, I just picture someone trying to organize cut to rj45 length cables, that would be nuts.

Someone mentioned the rj-45 ends, if you get the newer style cat6 ends they mostly come with insert guides that make it extremely easy for anyone to do. However to get them lined up and cut I still recommend the way I mentioned above.

What he said. Exactly how I do it as well.
IPVision - http://tinyurl.com/y8allak
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the tips! Much appreciated..

John
New Jersey
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020814&p_id=2164&seq=1&format=2

Nine bux for 100 feet with connetors. It's hard to justify hand-made with that sort of price.

I've crimped stranded wire, no problem. They say you need a stranded-wire connector, though.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40th Floor,

Actually, I crimped on stranded wires onto a standard RJ-45 plug. It was a royal p.i.t.a. when compared to solid wires.

As for the cheap pre-made cables you mentioned - Yes that is a good price, but I wonder about it's quality. If it's cheap cheesy sub-standard junk from China or some other cut-corner manufaturing offcshore company, I'd rather pay a bit more for quality.

John
New Jersey
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, FJ. I just looked at one. If it was blue and a little thinner instead of black I couldn't tell it apart from what I've done. It takes me 15 minutes to make one, maybe 10 for the next. I spent more than an hour on one. haha! Just couldn't get it right. The salesman who walked into the garage didn't help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed