IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording H.264 through NAT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Milestone XProtect Software
itsokrelax
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Recording H.264 through NAT Reply with quote

Trying to access cameras and record H.264 but can't find where to change the H.264 port for individual cameras.
IPVision - http://tinyurl.com/y8allak
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Josh
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately right now it is not possible to change the port used for the RTSP connection (our software always tries 554) and obviously you can't forward one port to multiple cameras. Right now your options are...

1. NAT as many IP's as you have cameras - obviously not something most people would be able to do, or be interested in.

2. Use VPN to connect the two sites together - more viable than option 1 and more cost effective, but still a bear.

3. Use MJPEG - this also has its obvious downsides (increased bandwidth and disk space utilization, exceeds original server specs potentially)

A feature request has been made to either detect the RTSP port over the HTTP port by checking settings on the camera, or to allow a user to enter the RTSP port manually but there is no ETA on when this might be implemented. Chances are it will have to be changed in each driver where applicable and this can take some time. Your best bet is to report the issue to our support team and open a support ticket letting us know the make and model of the cameras you're working with. As is the case usually, the squeeky wheel gets the grease.
dfv78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could there be another option without the option of not using NAT?

I'm testing Milestone XProtect Essential v.1 . I have 3 cameras behind NAT. I access them depending on the port:
port
8081 - cam1 - Axis 215PTZ
8082 - cam2 - Axis M1031-W
8083 - cam3 - Axis M1031-W

I can access all three from the Milestone software using MJPEG.

I *also* can access the Axis 215PTZ using MPEG4.
Using WireShark I can see that the Milestone Software connects to the camera using the Port (8081) of the camera correctly. It doesn't try to connect using RTSP on port 554. I believe it uses some kind tunneling to transfer RTSP over HTTP.

Ok, so that works. I can access the Axis camera using MPEG4 behind NAT.

The problem starts with the M1031-W. If I try to use H264, the software tries to connect to the 554 port. Bad, so then I try to connect to the camera using MPEG4, thinking it should behave the same way the Axis 215PTZ works. With some kind of tunneling.

But it seems the software always tries to use RTSP on port 554 port even if it is MPEG4 or H264. The interesting thing is that on the camera configuration on the Milestone Software I see a box that says

Streaming mode:
UDP unicast or TCP Tunneling

I'm guessing this is where someone can configure if RTSP would be tunneled using HTTP. But none of these options work.

Am I correct in assuming that MPEG4 works with the Axis 215PTZ but not on the Axis M1031-W? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Milestone XProtect Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed