IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cameras for a city

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
deimler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: cameras for a city Reply with quote

Hello, I am a web designer, and I'm working on a project for my company where we would like to setup a network of about 50 or so web cams throughout our local tourist-y town. these cameras would then be fed to a main hub site/iphone app where additional cameras could be added through an admin as we got more. I was wondering if i could get some suggestions on some cameras that would be ideal. We would like the cameras to have tilt/pan capabilities, but its not a necessity.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
sadik007
Junky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budget?
do you have infrastructure (wifi and so on)
ozarkdude

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you planning to install them?.....inside the buildings or outside? there is a big difference in prices, if you want to protect them from the weather, this will add a lot of money to the basic cameras.

Wink
deimler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the late response, but from what i've been told by the "higher-ups" our budget is in the 40,000-80,000 dollar range, though i'm sure they would like to keep it as cheap as they can.

the cameras would be going both outdoors and indoors, but i think most of them are going to be outside.

i believe the way that my company is panning on setting up, we would be providing the camera to the business where we are setting it up, and they provide the internet, whether wifi or not.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 50 cameras, 40-80, let's say 80K since nothing is ever as cheap as it seems. Is that just for cameras or everything?

Start with cameras, I would suggest a 3MP camera that is outdoor capable and have good day & night vision. For that, the Mobotix M12D-SEC is best, $1,500 list for each, maybe a few hundred off each if you buy in quantity. Then if it's the city, they may allow you to mount them to light poles or traffic ligths and tap into the electricity at each so say that is free. Then figure you need need a wireless mesh bridge adapter where you can put one per camera and have the spaced close enough to make it work, figure a $1,000 per camera with installation and hardware. The beauty of Mobotix is they have NVR software built into each camera, so you can build small networks of 2-4 cameras, have them write events to a local NAS device. Then use the wireless mesh mostly to view cameras and surveillence video from a central source. The NAS is cheap, maybe $200 tops for a single drive 1TB or about double that for a small 1TB raid, figure no more than 4 cameras per NAS. If it turns out you need IR illuminators if street lighting is inadquate, figure $500 per illuminator. Then you'll need a command center to view the 50 video feeds, for example a PC with a say a pair of 40" or larger LCD monitors, another $5K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed