IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disabled son monitoring - advice required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
meggiedude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Disabled son monitoring - advice required Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just purchased and setup a Foscam PTZ clone in my lounge as an addition to my properties security. I am generally very happy with the unit and want to expand the usage for another purpose.
My wife and I sleep upstairs but we have a physically disabled son who we have had to build a downstairs bedroom for. The fact he is no longer sleeping close by and we can't hear if he has any issues during the night is causing my wife in particular some concerns.
I would like to buy another IP camera linked either via Homeplug (preferably) or wirelessly, to a monitor in our bedroom. I know you can buy 'baby' video monitors which do this kind of thing, but I don't believe these are secure when it comes to the wireless element. I would rather have something similar that runs via my home network. The camera element I obviously have some knowledge of, but what I need to know is what to link it to so we can hear/see his bedroom when we are in ours. I don't want to have a PC running all night btw.

Any help gratefully received.

MD
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Disabled son monitoring - advice required Reply with quote

meggiedude wrote:
Hi,

I have just purchased and setup a Foscam PTZ clone in my lounge as an addition to my properties security. I am generally very happy with the unit and want to expand the usage for another purpose.
My wife and I sleep upstairs but we have a physically disabled son who we have had to build a downstairs bedroom for. The fact he is no longer sleeping close by and we can't hear if he has any issues during the night is causing my wife in particular some concerns.
I would like to buy another IP camera linked either via Homeplug (preferably) or wirelessly, to a monitor in our bedroom. I know you can buy 'baby' video monitors which do this kind of thing, but I don't believe these are secure when it comes to the wireless element. I would rather have something similar that runs via my home network. The camera element I obviously have some knowledge of, but what I need to know is what to link it to so we can hear/see his bedroom when we are in ours. I don't want to have a PC running all night btw.

Any help gratefully received.

MD

Sounds like you just want a simple low-LUX with audio IP network camera. Using a network camera does not require a PC to be running 24x7. If you want to record triggered events such as movement, you may want an IP Network camera with an SD card option which will cost a few more bucks.

What is your budget? Most say as cheap as possible, but if you are Donald Trump, cheap may mean millions. Know what I mean?

John
New Jersey
meggiedude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Disabled son monitoring - advice required Reply with quote

fatjohnny wrote:

Sounds like you just want a simple low-LUX with audio IP network camera. Using a network camera does not require a PC to be running 24x7. If you want to record triggered events such as movement, you may want an IP Network camera with an SD card option which will cost a few more bucks.

What is your budget? Most say as cheap as possible, but if you are Donald Trump, cheap may mean millions. Know what I mean?

John
New Jersey
Well my budget is not massive, but I'll pay whatever is required I guess. So best bang per buck (or Pound in my case)
We need to be able to get to him quickly in the event he has an issue.
We don't have the luzury of moving house at this point, but I guess at some point that may have to happen.
The camera side in my sons bedroom I think I understand, i.e a PTZ camera like I already have with IR and motion and/or sound triggering.
Its the display in our bedroom I am struggling with - what to buy.
Some of the latest baby monitors have a wireless camera and corresponding remote display unit so you can see 'baby'.
I don't really want one of these as I don't feel they are secure. I would rather have something that links to my home network so I can tie down security, but I don't want to sleep next to a wifi connected humming laptop linked to the camera's web page.

Thanks

MD
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your requirement(s) to be notified in case of a triggered event? An alert sent to a PDA, Smartphone or some other device kept next to your bed and person? If so, I assume the camera will need firmware when scheduling capabilites so you don't get billions of alerts during non-sleeping hours, right? Will the room be totally dark at night? Or is there a night light near the bed? Do you want to record events on the camera via SD card which can store thousands of pictures?

John
New Jersey
meggiedude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjohnny wrote:
What are your requirement(s) to be notified in case of a triggered event? An alert sent to a PDA, Smartphone or some other device kept next to your bed and person? If so, I assume the camera will need firmware when scheduling capabilites so you don't get billions of alerts during non-sleeping hours, right? Will the room be totally dark at night? Or is there a night light near the bed? Do you want to record events on the camera via SD card which can store thousands of pictures?

John
New Jersey

So my requirements are if you like a glorified night-time baby monitor but with video.
You are right I don't want lots of texts/pages etc during the night, although my current PTZ camera will do the email/ftp bit.
I don't need to store images/videos
Thinking about it motion detection is useful but not a main requirement.
My sons condition limits his movement so he is unlikely to trigger anything.

Its for use generally at night with no light source - so I guess I need IR.
The general idea is if we hear him (so it needs audio right) my wife or myself press a button on a display and can see if he is in trouble. This may save us many trips during the night.
2-way audio would be nice, but 1-way a bare minimum.
See ebay #390145706442 or #170466882745. Like that but via the internal network - not unsecure 2.4GHz wireless
We probably need to move house at some point, but this is to last until that point. If it removes stress and allows some sleep its money well spent.

Maybe what I want does not exist - maybe it costs a fortune. I don't know.
meggiedude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this type of thing I guess would do the job
http://www.jacques.com.au/CMSFiles/Docs/IP%20Video%20Intercom%20Monitor%20Station.pdf
It looks expensive - but think type of thing maybe???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed