IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with purchasing a city action/weather outdoor web cam.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
C0DEW1Z

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Help with purchasing a city action/weather outdoor web cam. Reply with quote

I live in a small town in Michigan and about a year ago they converted an old broken down damn into a kayak run. The town’s population and businesses have been slowly declining with the recent downfall of the economy. In an effort to bring some interest back into this quaint little town I had the idea of implementing a weather/Action cam that overlooks the kayak run. The camera will be mounted outside approx 20 feet off the ground. Our temperatures fluctuate wildly. It should be capable of withstanding temperatures ranging from -40F to 100+F. The main purpose is to make this cam available via a website that users can visit. I would like and have seen in the past where the website visitor can control the camera for a period of time allowing them to zoom and pan the camera. I am looking for a good balance of quality picture and decent frame rate to allow for a positive end user experience. There are so many outdoor web cams available and the prices vary wildly that I need some direction in making this decision.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you look at a webcam, consider what you are willing to pay for the experience. Many people think they can have a couple of people viewing and controlling their webcam, even with VGA resolution and do this with a home DSL or cable modem. Also, the problem becomes compatibility, so the best compatibilty comes from mjpeg or mpeg and that's a bandwidth hog. For example, I bet if you got the fastest DSL line you can get, you will be able to make one user frustrated if the goal is VGA resolution at 30 fps. I checked with my local cable company and getting their premier service (best home grade I can get), they are quoting 1.5 Mb/s upload (ignore download speeds, upload is what you need) or about twice as fast as the fastest DSL I can get was $62/mo and I bet you can get a user going with that level of service. to give you an idea, their business service, with 3MB upload, was $399/mo.

But here's the bandwidth calculations I see on Axi's website, for what they call 4CIF, or most of us call VGA or 640x480. They claim 880K/sec for 15 fps. So if you get a 3 MB/se upload speed connection, you can handle 3 users.

If you limit them to CIF size (320x240), it will use up 400K of bandwidth at 15 fps, so you can get about 7 concurrent users.

Now the camera, also depends on your needs and budget and if it will be mounted outdoors or indoors looking out and how much night vision you need or is this daytime only? The least expensive commercial grade cameras that are PTZ are from Panasonic, figure $650 to $1,000 depending on feautres. A really cool PTZ camera from Axis can cost as much as $3K.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/about_networkvideo/bandwidth.htm
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd add that with PTZ you have to deal with who has control over the PTZ functions and for how long. Its often cheaper to purchase 2 or 3 fixed cameras to cover the same zone you would with a PTZ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed