IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
bwarren

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Suggestions? Reply with quote

We've got 2 older teenagers that like to do things they are not supposed to be doing when we are not home, such as having friends over when they are not allowed. We're thinking about putting a couple of cameras in the house to monitor things remotely via website and/or cellphone (Blackberry or Google phone). A secondary concern is to monitor for intruders when no one is home.

My wife saw VueZone on a daytime show and is very interested. I think it might be better and more flexible to just buy a couple of wireless cameras and manage them ourselves. I'm an IT professional so network configuration and all that is not a problem. I've been reading some of the postings on here and I've seen the Axis M1011-W mentioned frequently. We're basically looking for this:

2 cameras mounted indoors, one in the kitchen pointing into the family room and one pointing at the front door.

Battery power is desirable as they will probably be mounted nowhere near an outlet.

Wireless Ethernet.

Ability to record to a PC or website.

Recordings and live feed accessible from our cell phones. I have a Blackberry and she has a Google phone. I could set up a server at home and make it accessible remotely over DDNS for this.

We'd like to be able to hide them in a fake plant or something like that (small size).

We don't need audio or night vision.

We don't need high image quality, we just want to be able to tell if people are there that are not supposed to be there and an idea of what they are up to (like digging around in the liquor cabinet).

We want to monitor it when they are in the house so a pure motion detecting solution is no good. We'd want to set it to continuously record when they are there (I like the 1 min picture option on the M1011-W for that) and use motion detecting for when no one is home.

Does the M1011-W run on batteries? I see that it takes 5V DC input but I can't find if there is anyplace to put batteries in it or if it just has a DC input plug. That's probably a dealbreaker. Is there another similarly proced model with similar features that runs on batteries if that one does not?

Will VueZone do what we'd want? I'm skeptical their Flash-based site would work on our phones. Would you recommend it over a DIY solution?
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know of any surveillence cameras that run on batteries. The Axis M1011-W is good, but the M1031-W is better because it has more reliable PIR motion detect and has 2 way audio (so you can listen to what's going and yell at them. Will not work with Blackberry, I've tried. You will be able to see it on an iPhone, iPod touch or an iPad and that's what I personally use, an iPad.

There's another company that puts their own software on that camera, Dropcam and it's flash based I think and maybe viewable via a Blackberry.

Don'y know anything about Vuezone, but looks interesting, battery operated, VGA resolution. Just get it with it's money back guarantee and try it. Blackberry is not one if it's supported devices. There is a $20/yr subscription, but may be worth it.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience: Your teenager kids will disable the video cameras in one way or another when you are not home and they decide to party with their friends.

John
New Jersey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed