IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New network camera setup for factory production control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
thebrowser

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: New network camera setup for factory production control Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just joined so I hope some expert can give advice on this!

I have to setup a few cameras on different working areas of this relatively small factory. Not for surveillance but for production monitoring.

The idea is to have each network camera fixed on a moving arm, like those you see in ladies beauty salons, so that the worker can point the camera to face the product currently being manufactured and allow the designer to see it remotely.
The designer can be anywhere in the world and upon request, should be able to connect to the camera and through the camera integrated microphone say hello and ask to see in a close up how the product is being made and if there are corrections to be done.
The worker then should be able to talk and move the product or adjust the camera to follow instructions like: can you show me the bottom side? Can you turn it on the left side? Let me see that detail on the back? - just to give you an example of the conversation....

Given the above scenario

First question:
which camera would you suggest with good quality image at close up without spending too much? Let's say 100-150 Euros each camera?

Second question:
I think that these cameras should all connected via Ethernet cable to an internal router which in turn connects to the DSL router with a 7Mbps connection. Upload is about 384 kbps.
Do you think there is a technical problem in this setup idea? Comments? Suggestions?

Third question:
As per First question, which camera software would support multiple cameras selection?

Fourth question:
Am I wrong assuming that unless the camera software provides it, I should register the IP (because the ISP gives me a dymanic IP) to a DNS service?

Sorry for the length!
Any suggestion is very welcome. I have less than 10 days to come up with a solution. I really hope to get some advice...
Please, send me any questions you may have if something is not clear...I'll answer quickly!

Thank you very much! Smile
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your upload speed, with mpeg or mjpeg compression you will be able to have one person looking at one camera at a time in either low resoluiotn (320x240) at a high frame rate or VGA (640x480) at a low frame rate, maybe 10-15 FPS. Maybe triple that if you go with H.264.

The camera that I would recomend to do this is an Axis M1031-W because it has 2-way audio, H.264 compression. Its WiFi but can be used with ethernet but not PoE. Unfortunately, with the Euro going down so quickly, the price will probably be more than 150 euro. Costs about $230 USD.

If you want to go absolutely cheap, consider a Trendnet TV-IP512P, is PoE, uses interchangeble CS mount lenses, costs about $140 USD at Walmart. The nice thing about PoE is you won't need a power outlet at each camera, just get a PoE switch and you only run one ethernet wire and it powers the camera. Also, having CS mount lens means you can change lenses to suit your needs.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got wal*marts in Italy?
thebrowser

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answer!
That's very informative! I am going to have a look at those two products and see what I can do.

I guess the PoE switch is at the power socket?? I never had a thought of such switch for PoE.
However, is the performance the same as having a full Ethernet install?

Anyway, I'll check!
Finally, no, in Italy Walmart is not present but there are a lot of online and offline technology stores, so I don't think there is a problem...maybe the price??

Thank you again for your support. Any other advice is very welcome though! Wink
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine a wal*mart in say, Venice.

If it ever gets a foot in, watch out - there's no stopping the monster of ____ (fill in your own description).

Scary, scary stuff:

Wal-Mart's sales in 2003. In the words of Wal-Mart CFO Tom Schoewe, Wal-Mart's sales are equal to "one IBM, one Hewlett Packard, one Dell computer, one Microsoft and one Cisco System -- and oh, by the way, after that we got $2 billion left over

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/secrets/stats.html
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Wal-Mart ----- I am from an old small town but in a metro area near New York City. Up until 2002, the stores that lined the main street were small mom and pop owned stores. Many of these stores were there for generations.

Along comes the Wal-Mart representatives. They get approval buy a huge vacant lot and build a huge Wal-Mart. There were MANY town meetings between the folks of my town and representatives of Wal-Mart. The concern was Wal-Mart putting the small mom and pop stores out of business. Wal-Mart said it won't happen. AND it was aid it will lower our property taxes if Wal-Mart was allowed to build.

Fast forward to 2010..... Many of the mom and pop store in my town are out of business. Main street is lined with vacant stores. Wal-Mart is booming. Much of the items on Wal-Mart's shelves are low quality Chinese made crap (merchandise will break within days after purchaes, if not already broken in the factory). Many of the employees are out of towners and barely speak our language. I recall one of the Wal-Mart's employees dressed in a FULL burka - very scary... Crime has risen BIG-TIME as it attracted the scum from the nearby inner city ghettos. Our property taxes have gone up almost 100% since 2002.

Thebrowser, watchout if Wal-Mart builds in Italy, especially in your area. Maybe they will import Amercians to work in your town since our economy has gone to crap we Amercians are looking for work at any wage. I think you would agree it would be very scary to see Americans working in Wal-Mart in your area, right??

John
New Jersey
thebrowser

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Both posts about Walmart are interesting!

I understand your concerns and believe me, America is still better than Italy when it comes to economic recovery! Although we have managed to get through the crisis despite all our problems, we still have to face big challenges such as high taxes, low wages and increasing unemployment.
Italy still has a lower than Europe average unemployment but that is not of much satisfaction when families have to manage to the end of the month. Furthermore, there is corruption at all levels and people are starting to get angry- just recently, a Minister of the Republic resigned because newspapers found out he bought a big apartment in central Rome valued 1.7 Million Euros and paid only 600-700K - and the question was: how did you pay less than what's on the contract? - he allegedly got the money from an individual who is well connected in the public contracts industry - so, say it was a favour/bribe. So you can imagine people working for a small wage and have to support their kids, family, pay bills, mortgages and nothing left at the end of the month, and then have to hear of this disgusting behaviour of someone paid by our taxes.
Not sure how in US what perception you have about your politicians, but I guess for this matter, they are all the same in every corner of the planet.

About Walmart, America is the land of big companies and these are most of the times the cause of many evils in society - if in your area you now see high crime, it's simply a by-product of this society we have built where few get richer and enjoy VIP lifestyle, and many have to survive and have to wait for a ridiculous pension before they die. I'm 36 and I don't believe I will even get half of what pensioners now get. Same in US?
I could discuss for days about this but I don't think this is the right place... Wink

I am still interested in others' advice on the cameras though!
Thank you!
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, do not mean to say you should buy a camera from Walmart, it was just a price point to show what they sell for here in the US using USD currency. Clearly in other countries with other currency, different VAT rules, different import duties, something we think is cheap in the U.S. may cost less or more in other countries.
thebrowser

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bluewinkell,

No problems! Of course that was understood from the beginning.
By the way, I'm checking the info you gave me so if I have a question, I hope is not a problem if I contact you for some clarifications??

Thanks
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, just use the send me a private message on the forum.
gepuguoji

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i met the same problem ,have you fixed it yet?

[url= http://www.dvdrippermacos.com/]rip dvd on mac[/url]
sales06

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.zstar.hk
www.edgei-ds.cn

Celia/Overseas Sales
Email:sales06@zstar.hk
Msn:zstar06@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed