IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo: AXIS M1114 vs. Panasonic BB-HCM735A in MJPEG 1 mp mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Demo: AXIS M1114 vs. Panasonic BB-HCM735A in MJPEG 1 mp mode Reply with quote

Folks, This is a continuation of my new AXIS M1114 1 mp camera evaluation. For the past few days I went heads on between the AXIS M1114 and the Panasonic BB-HSM371. Obviously, the AXIS beat it hands down. The Panasonic BB-HCM371 is only a VGA MJPEG camera.

For the next day (or two) my AXIS M1114 will be mounted next to my Panasonic BB-HCM735A overlooking a small deck and will run in MJPEG mode. Both are running at 1 mega pixel. Check'em out side by side during the day and night to see which camera is a better performer under various conditions. On Sunday I will configure both cameras to run in H.264.

Buellwinkle and (I think) 40thfloor are looking closely at these tests and we all appreciate their comments and evaluations.

Sorry... My web inteface software does not display the Panasonic BB-HCM735A at 1 mp. I don't know why, but below are the IP addresses to access both cameras directly for your evaluation. Please close the camera connections when your done viewing as it will eat up my bandwidth big-time and other viewers will not be able to see. Also, please do not link these IP address to any other websites or camera lists.

Panasonic BB-HCM735A
http://68.193.3.154:5735/CgiStart?page=Single

AXIS M1114
http://68.193.3.154:1114

I may be fine-tuning the focus on the M1114 later today. I did a quick focus job earlier and I was hanging onto an old ladder 1.5 stories above the ground.. It looks good, but I think I can do better.

John
New Jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are there, tell us which camera has the better color accuracy.

What's odd is the deck seems sharp and in focus on both cameras. The Panny is much better now that I can see it in 1MP mode, but the BBQ appears out of focus, but in focus in the M1114. My guess is that the M1114 with it's auto-iris lens has smaller apeture allowing to have greater depth of field. It will be interesting a night when the M1114 is at wide open apeture, if it will change.

The grass looks like it has more detail on the Panny than the Axis.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color is better with the M1114. In extreme bright light the Panny looks a washed out while the M1114 handles it well. The wood grain of the deck looks sharper just a tad with the M1114. The grill may be more in focus cause my FAT body was blocking the right side of the view when I was manually focusing the M1114. I will refocus and pull back a little on the M1114 on Sunday. It is currently 6:05 pm and I'm heading out for dinner with my girl and won't be back until 8-9ish, if I come back tonight. So, it all means it will be too late to climb 1.5 stories on an old laddrer to re-focus..

John
New Jersey
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 9:55 pm. In my opinion the M1114 is much clearer than the 735A overall in the dark with only a flood light beamed onto the deck. The 735A had a lot of noise when compared to the M1114. The M1114 is sharper too. I am able to read the numbers (street address number) on thr garbage can lid when viewing the M1114. They ain't no way I can read it looking at the 735A view. Remember,Panny is streaming at 1280x960 and the M1114 is streaming at 1280x800 MJPEG (Panny at a slightly higher resolution). Go figure.

John
New Jersey

p.s. - i am not saying that Panasonic is junk... Actually Panasonics are great home cameras and the 735A as well as the 371 which I am running the M1114 has other features which the M1114 does not have. In both cases, the panny's cost more than the M1114, but if you are looking for a great performing fixed camera w/o Sd card and fancy frills, looks like the M1114 is doing a great job.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: ** UPDATE ** Reply with quote

** UPDATE ** As of 10:15 am ET Sunday, both cameras have be reconfigured to open under H.264 as the default and using the links provided in the opening post or if your lazy like me, just use the links below. As you all know, when opening the AXIS camera, you will be prompted to install the AXIS H.264 decoder. When opening the Panasonic camera, you will be prompted too install activeX for h.264. This will happen automatically once you acknolodge authorization. No big deal in either case....

Panasonic BB-HCM735A
http://68.193.3.154:5735/CgiStart?page=Single

AXIS M1114
http://68.193.3.154:1114

My 4 minute evaluation between the AXIS M1114 and Panasonic BB-HCM735A running H.264 - I think AXIS beats out its competition handsdown in h.264. I see a big difference. Do you???

Just some additional notes; Configuring the AXIS M1114 to run h.264 from MJPEG, it is a simple selection from a dropdown and saving the change. The Panasonic is somewhat confusing because if there are other parameters set that are not compatible with h.264, the Panny will display a huge and confusing error message. I think Panasonic needs to work more on h.264.

** I'll leave both cameras in h.264 mode for today and tonight. On Monday after work, I will move the AXIS M1114 next to it's big brothers (P1346 or Q1755) for further evaluation.

John
New Jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, the Axis beats the Panny hands down in image quality both day/night. The the question becomes, can this budget Axis hold up against the more expensive models from Axis.

Also, I would say this camera beats the M10 series by a long shot.. The M10 is grainy in average indoor light and flat out worthless at night with just a 60 watt bulb.

Of course the HCM735 does have pan/tilt capabilities and an SD card. A big negative on the Panny is that without software, it only streams at VGA resolution to it's SD card or via FTP. Why have MP sensor and then not store MP video? The Axis can FTP in it's full resolution, but only jpegs, not video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed