IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to imput data in Linksys WRT54G to remotely view cam

TonyGotaTruck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Trying to imput data in Linksys WRT54G to remotely view cam Reply with quote

I bet this has been beat to death on here but, doing searches and just reading post havent gotten me anywhere. I can see my camera via WAN in house but, if I go out to another wireless site I cant pull it up.

Here is what I have
Camera from Hong Kong called Q serial
Linksys WRT54G

The camera is pretty neat. You hit a search button on software and it gives you all the details...
WAN IP 24.71.40.XXX
Local PC IP 192.168.0.XXX
Gateway XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
DNS1 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.
DNS2 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Camera
192.168.0.XXX
Gateway
Subnet mask
port 80

My problem is (and I have read alot) I cant fiqure out what to do in router. It seems everything I read starts off easy and then jumps right over my head...

I need help in putting data in router so I can access camera from outside wireless... I owned a security company and just as I sold the business we were starting to use DVR,s over the net. I did a few but, was lousy at it.

I appreciate your help. Go easy on the ole man please...

Thanks Tony
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First set the camera up to a specific IP, do not use DHCP, just change the last octect, for example say in DHCP mode it sets the camera up as 192.168.0.5, just use 192.168.0.80 and hard code it with 255.255.255.0 for a subnet mask and use your gateway address (run ipconfig in a cmd window on your PC and see what the gateway is, probably 192.168.0.1). Make sure it all works via your lan at that address.

Then follow these instructions to setup our router using the static IP address you configured the camera to and the port number (80 you say).

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/

It's all simple, just a matter of understanding what you are doing. What you are doing is telling the router that all requests for port 80 should go to your camera. The guide above should tell you specificaly for your router. I like the WRT54G, but I load DD-WRT software instead of the Linksys software and menus.

Then you need to know what your WAN address is. Just go to a website like whatsmyip.com and it will tell you. Then connect to that address on your browser and you are good to go.

There two gotchas -

1. some cameras use multiple ports, so you must know what they are. Good cameras work fine with just a single port like 80.

2. your WAN address will change, maybe once an hour like Verizon Wireless does to me or once every few days like AT&T and Verizon do to me. So research the DDNS feature, open an account at dyndns.com as a starter, it's free.
TonyGotaTruck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Wow, Reply with quote

If I can fiqure this out I will be moving on to heart surgery.

Thanks so much for the info. I will do my best to study and use it but, I have no idea what you just said... lol

Thanks again, I will post if I get it working...

Tony
TonyGotaTruck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: I DID IT! Reply with quote

That Buellwinkle...

I did exactly as you said and its working perfect via network and remotely. It was easy because I went directly by what you said. Thanks again...

Cant wait to add a few more later and learn that as well. Have a great weekend and I really thank you for your time...

Tony (The Heart Surgen) Smile
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, your WAN address will change, so if you want to use it on a more permanent basis you need to setup Dynamic DNS (DDNS). After you create an account and set it up per their instructions, go to the router or camera (either one probably supports DDNS, but only do one, not both) and it will ask for the domain name you chose and the password.

Then you access the camera using a domain name, like tonyheartsurgean.dyndns.net forever and the router or camera will keep it updated everytime it changes, automagically, for free.
TonyGotaTruck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Opps, couldnt access it remotely Reply with quote

I checked before I left home this morning and my WAN IP was the same as last night. I went to ""Coffee" and couldnt wait to pull it up and show the guys but, no luck.

When I got home I used the WAN IP and there it was...
Do I have to enter something added to WAN such as 80 for port number?

Exp: 22.179.31.168:80 <<< Is this what it would look like remotely.

Going now to sign up for the account you mentioned...

Tony spelled backwards is Y-Not...
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told the name Tony was derived from Italian immigrants that came to the U.S. and into Ellis Island, had tags on their clothing and luggage that said "To NY" and after a while the name stuck.

When you enter an IP address in in a browser, port 80 is assumed. If you chage it to anything else, you have to follow the IP address with a colon and the port number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Installation All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed