IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wirless cam for Mac/ CMOS v CCD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
shakehandsman2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Wirless cam for Mac/ CMOS v CCD Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a wireless camera (802.11g) for security purposes. It needs to be mac compatable (I reaise many only work with Internet Explorer and aren't much use).

It needs to perform well at night as that's when there are security concerns, there is reasonable light from street lighting in the area being monitored however. This combined with the distance involved (10m plus) presumably means a camera with Infra red LEDs would not be necessary nor very effective anyway?

Does anyone have any recommendations - are there any reasonably priced CCD based cams as i heard these would perform better in the low light conditions?

Also is motion detection effective at distances of 10m or so?

The camera will be sited inside, looking from a 1st floor window.

Thanks.

BTW I am in the UK, though the exchange rate is pretty good right now so I guess I could import the camera from the states. Budget is around $200
ACE
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to have trouble finding that kind of camera for $200. First, you might have some issues if its pointing out a window. Don't go for infrared because the LED's will reflect off the window glass and give you zero visiblity.

My suggestion is a MJPEG or JAVA camera. SONY and CANON are your best bet here as they might work with a MAC. Those cameras are way over $200. I would suspect you will be looking over $1000 for a camera that meets your specs.
shakehandsman2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - looks like CCD is ruled out then. Also thanks for confirming I don't want infra-red.

I guess I just need a wifi CMOS camera which can perform ok in fairly low light conditiions - as I said there is pretty good street lighting. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I realsie I'm not going to get a great image at night at this price - I just need something good enough to catch the crimnals in the act (don't need to be able to identify them as we already know who they are).

Also I could probably go up to $250.
vickyma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LNE 3003 is now mac and iphone compatible. You have to purchase additional software for $30 at EvoLogical
http://www.evological.com/evocam.html

I donít know how well it works with a mac and iphone, but with a PC, it is extremely easy and highly recommended. Hopefully, it will get the same reviews with the Mac crowd.
http://focusoncctv.lorextechnology.com/product.aspx?id=1965
MACGNH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 pennies worth and also thought I might warn other users to beware. The LNE 3003 are great cameras and do work seamlessly with PC but as far as working with EvoCam to record on MAC's it just doesn't happen. After several emails over several weeks with EvoCam's support team I still lack a connection between EvoCam and my LNE3003 cameras. I'm also lacking the help or knowledge from that support team needed to help make the connection. The camera works just fine but not along with EvoCam. Added support from EvoCam and I don't doubt these could be a great combo.
dollarbrand

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Foscam IP camera recently. It works with Apple Mac computers, but there's a catch. The installation cd that comes with the camera doesn't have the mac installation tool. You have to use "IP Scanner" which is a free tool by an independent 10base-t Interactive (http://10base-t.com/) that will allow you to install this Foscam camera. I learned about all of this from this blog: http://www.foscam.us/blog.php/?p=68?

The name of the camera is a "Foscam FI8908W." It costs around $120. The camera's built in software runs on IE and Firefox as well as the standard Safari browser on an Iphone. Audio works in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. Also, in order to view multiple cameras at one time (up to 9) you have to use Internet Explorer. Or you can skip all these problems and just use Blue Iris and its sorted. The only problem is the color is slightly off, but thats not important for my particular purpose. It records to the harddrive, but the browswer has to be open when doing that. I just run it on my PC using Blue Iris.

Ive been meaning to ask, does anyone know any good ip camera recording programs for Mac?

Thanks.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foscam is junk have 2, soft image, the camera starts malfunctioning over time, one doesn't tilt anymore ,the other doesn't power most of the time. Avoid at all costs. Also, the built in IR leds will just reflect back on your window and make is useless.

For $200 US, the best deal is an Axis M1011-W, not great, but the best for the money. that I've found. Made in Sweden by the largest network camera company in the world. Good support, works with Safari on my iPad (Foscam does not). Anything else in this price range or lower is made in China by a company with mediocre to no support. If you need PIR motion detect and 2 way audio, consider spending a few more quid on the M1031-W model. If you want higher resolution, consier the Axis 207MW, but that's already way beyond your budget at about $350. As a reality check, to do what you want and get a great picture, you need to spend a minumum of $700 and then have a minimum of a $300 IR illuminator to light up the area.

There is a popular low cost camera in the UK, the Y-CAM (http://www.y-cam.com/), popular in europe, but can't speak from experience, just what I've heard.
bonkerz

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Y-cam working with my Mac, and the nightvision is excellent, you should take a look at one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed