IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed on a Samsung IP Cameras system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
wah888

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Help needed on a Samsung IP Cameras system Reply with quote

I'm reaching out to the wider IP cameras and CCTV community to get advice and suggestions as to a system which I have put together and testing right now.

I am using 8 x Samsung IP cameras, so a mixture or box, dome and PTZ from the model range 2009 and these are connected to the Samsung 32 channel NVR over a 100base LAN. The cameras are a mixture of 1 and 2 megapixels and I've set up the capture to be at 25fps so there's a lot of data movement across the network. The cameras are installed in a warehouse type environment so about 50m x 30m dimensions. The reason for the high fps is that I will be viewing and recording some fast moving action and want to be able to take the recording and use that in some post editing processes eg to be used in movie maker or Apple based professional film editing software. To simplify, I would say the set up I have resembles a movie studio and I'm trying to create a feature film using IP camera technology. And here is where I am having several problems:

1. Samsung use a proprietary file format of .STX and their own translating software to .avi is not reliable over the network or for long pieces of footage.

2. I need a reliable method to extract the filmed footage out from the NVR in a more universal format so that I can feed that into third party software; hence .avi, mpeg4 or similar.

3. Samsung have just released their iNet server solution which is installed on a server (hence makes their NVR's redundant ) but still the video output is proprietary to them ; iREC and SEC. Anyone know how to get this translated to a more usable format?

4. Is there another IP camera software that will hook upto the Samsung cameras. I've tried iSOFT but this does not seem to connect? Is there anything else I should really consider? The reason why I'm trying to stick with Samsung is that I'm getting great prices with their hardware and the quality is pretty good. Although someone else here might tell me otherwise and that brand XXX will give me the same quality with similar prices and their software export function is really good.

5. I've looked at the Arecont range as well and seem to find that their video capture and playback does not seem fluent enough.

6. Does anyone have experience of building networks here where there is sustained date movement of upto 8 2meg IP cameras recording at 25fps? What pointers or advice could you give to get the best out of the system and to make the best use of the available kit out in the marketplace?

Look forward to any feedback received, thanks.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same for many cameras manfucaturers, for example, on Mobotix cameras, it puts in it's own format and then you use a utlity to convert. Same with Panasonic. Are you filming continously or triggered events? I would imagine that filming continously would create huge files. I checked with my NVR software, BlueIris and it too puts out videos in it's own format.

Check out the camera's manual and setup an FTP server and have it send the video to an FTP server. It will likely send it as common avi or mpg format you can use in your video editing software.
wah888

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am filming both continously (up to one hour) as well as trigger events. I understand that it puts out its own formats and in the case of samsung its .stx which I can't do a lot with. Its own proprietry sofware to convert to avi is just not reliable enough and crashes a lot when dealing with large files.

Yuo suggested ftp'ing the output from the cams but this will just transfer the .stx file over to a pc which no sofware will be able to read in or decode; or am I missing something.

Does it make sense to use some 3rd party sofware then to control the Cameras like Exacq or eyesoft although not all the Samsung cams are supported.

Cheers.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think it will be much better as these also store in their own format. For example, I use BlueIris and it stores in bvr format. From their software I can right click on the file an export to another format, but don't know if it's any better than what you have now.

I checked Mobotix and ACTi cameras and they too record in their own format. I know Panasonic has it's own format. Axis doesn't do video exports at all, requires NVR software. Arecont is just as dumb a camera as it gets, so it also requires NVR software to record.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed