IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I only need software to record?

Hoosierguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Do I only need software to record? Reply with quote

We are getting ready to put in a surveillance system in our building with 14 ip cameras and I need a little help. I'm just gonna build a computer for this, but I'm unsure of anything else I might need.

1. Do I need a capture card in addition to software?

2. What software would you recommend?

3. How much HDD space would I need to store one month of video, if there only recording motion. maybe ~11 hours a day. We will probably buy 1-1.3MP cameras.

4. We would like to be able to easily export segments of video. Would this be easier with a DVR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Soundy
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I only need software to record? Reply with quote

Hoosierguy wrote:
We are getting ready to put in a surveillance system in our building with 14 ip cameras and I need a little help. I'm just gonna build a computer for this, but I'm unsure of anything else I might need.

No.

Quote:

We use 3xLogic Vigil almost exclusively, but they don't sell just the software; they sell only complete turnkey DVRs/NVRs. Exacq and NUUO are other popular NVR packages, but I've only had the chance to play with them a little bit.

Quote:
3. How much HDD space would I need to store one month of video, if there only recording motion. maybe ~11 hours a day. We will probably buy 1-1.3MP cameras
That will depend on a lot of other factors, but mostly on the codec the cameras are using: MPEG-4, MJPEG, and H.264 are most common. Some NVRs can also recompress the video to save space and playback bandwidth. It will also depend on the framerate you record at, how "compressable" scenes are (higher contrast images won't compress as well as low-contrast), and the "quality/bitrate/compression-level" settings used.

Expect to need several terabytes though... you might want to consider a RAID5/RAID6 setup to help guard against data loss.

You might want to consider something like a RAID/NVR solution like those from QNAP (www.qnapsecurity.com) - a RAID array that just accepts and records streams directly from the cameras.

Quote:
4. We would like to be able to easily export segments of video. Would this be easier with a DVR?

Most NVR packages will handle this well.
stevepeterson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I use a good software-only solution - Security Monitor Pro (http://www.deskshare.com). The 16 camera license is $489. In my research I found this to work better for our needs, runs on a standard PC, and it is more flexible.

Quote:
3. How much HDD space would I need to store one month of video, if there only recording motion. maybe ~11 hours a day. We will probably buy 1-1.3MP cameras.

You can select the compression rate to the quality you want to save - I use the 500kb/sec WMV codec. This is about 2.5 gigs per day or 75GB per month for a single camera, about a terabyte for 14 cameras. To be on the safe side, get a 2TB hard drive, costs about $100 here.

Quote:

Piece of cake, the files are stored in WMV format with this software. Plays on just about any PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Recording All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed