IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i need to put my dinosaur computer out of its misery...or

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
TBVyou2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: i need to put my dinosaur computer out of its misery...or Reply with quote

nurse it along...

I have a Hewlett Packard pavilion desktop with XP, a pentium 4 3.06 Ghz CPU, 1 GB RAM, and added secondary harddrive for video backup (300 GB) (I know, I know, it's ancient!)

When I wanted to play Elder Scrolls Oblivion (um gee hope that doesn't date me) I got a new video card..then I needed a new power supply, then I needed a new home (case) to fit it all in...so I have nursed it along all these years.

Now, I use Blueiris with 4 cameras. I was doing good with this computer and cameras except lately the CPU usage is off the charts and it's hanging up. I don't have any extra programs on it anymore (it used to be my video/photo editing computer) once I did a clean install and started from scratch (damn good thing I demanded the recovery disks years ago BTW).

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep nursing it along, OR can anyone recommend an alternate computer? I don't need a monitor and I'm kinda broke from buying the cameras, so an inexpensive suggestion would be great!

thanks
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in California where electric rates are very high, running an old computer is not cost effective. I figure it costs me $10-15//mo in electricity to keep an old computer going. So I went with a Zotac with an Atom 330 dual core processor, uses about 1/3rd the electricity, costs about $200 for a bare bones system. Add some memory, a 320GB laptop drive, put Windows XP or Win 7 on it with Blueris and you are set. Even has HDMI out so you can plug it into TV and use that as a monitor for viewing. It's also small like a Mac Mini and reasonably quiet. I have 6 cameras on mine, 4 of them are 1.3 MP and I run about 40-50% CPU with Win 7 Home Premium.

The MS store had their 1 year anniversarry sale last weekend, 40% off. They had the Sony all-in-one with the 21.5" touch screen , 4GB memory, 500GB HDD, for $659. Touch screen is cool for surveillence because you can use pinch motion to zoom in on an image. Also, being an all-in-one it's just the monitor you see, no wires other than the power plug. Even the keyboard/mouse is wireless.
fatjohnny
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBVyou2, your system is sort of like mine. I am running a 2 core 3.0 GHz PC with about 4 tb of hard drive space for my video server. It is a dedicated server for monitoring, capturing and recording 9 HD cameras 24x7. The PC runs a constant 95% to 97% CPU all the time and my digital thermometer reads about 104 degrees F on the exhaust side of the server's case fan. It's been like this for about 1 year, but it's still going strong. The PC is homebuilt with an asus motherboard. I'll wait until it melts down into a blob of lava before I replace it.

John
New Jersey
TBVyou2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@buellwinkle I probably should factor in electricity. Thanks for sharing your system info, it helps to know what others are using. I will ook at those specs, at least I know it works with your setup.

@fatjohnny I bet if I put a thermometer on the outside it would say the same as yours! I was trying to make it last until it melted too, I guess. I didn't reinstall the temperature monitoring software because I didn't want to know Smile

Part of my problem is I don't have a standalone copy of XP (I hate vista, and don't know much about 7) so I would have to factor that cost in also.

I have installed mobuntu on a computer once, but I don't really want to mess with that, i have too much to do Smile I guess I should see what other OS blueiris will work on...

thanks guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed