IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting IP camera's to VOD streaming hosting service?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Connecting IP camera's to VOD streaming hosting service? Reply with quote

We like to connect local IP camera's to a VOD (video on demand) streaming hosting service.

The problem is (as far we understand) all IP camera suppliers use priority codecs. Al VOD streaming providers use only standard codecís. Some camera's have some manual export to uncompressed AVI. This does not solve our problem because the IP camera runs in outdoor environment over as small (cheap) as possible Internet network connection. So the files must stay compressed before get them over the line.

Our requirements are:
- Automatically store the video files compressed with standard codec locally on local on board memory (SD) card or NAS in local network.
- Ability to copy the files (FTP) to our central server
- There we can upload selected files to the streaming server.
- Minimal HD 720p
- 25-30 frames per seconds
- Lens of 160-170 degree wide angle

Does anyone has the answer? What camera is able to do this automatically?

Many thanks in advantage
Gideon
Soundy
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the cameras I've dealt with have used standard codecs - MPEG4, MJPEG, or H.264. What IS different between them is the command line used to "extract" the stream.

I'm working on a project streaming IQEye cameras' MJPEG stream directly into VLC; works well, no custom codecs required, I just need to start VLC with the proper command line. I've tested the H.264 stream from a couple different Areconts using the same method, with VLC receiving the stream via RTSP.
Soundy
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, all your requirements will be fairly easy to fulfill... except the last. A standard single-sensor camera will be limited to maybe a little over 90 degrees, depending on the lens you use. The widest commonly-available lenses I've found for a 1/2 3MP sensor, for example, is 4mm, which gives about 77 degrees - you have to get into some more esoteric models at substantially higher cost to get beyond that, and I think the widest I found then was still only 2.5mm, which gets you to barely 100 degrees.

You're looking at a panoramic camera to get to the FOV you want, which sharply limits your selection, and then you may find you need some additional dewarping software to make the image look halfway normal.
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses!

Before we tried before connecting QNAP NVR VS-2008 (http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=121 ).
QNAP stores in priority QMPEG codec. No way to easily automatically export or convert the videos. We tried using de supplier software from our Hikvison (http://www.hikvision.com) cameraís. Hikvison (software on board and Hikvison windows tools) use also some special codec.

I did not use VLC before. Iím going to try use VLC connect directly to my Hikvison camera and see what happened.

I think there are some wide lenses available?
162 degree http://www.iqeye.com/products/lens-specifications.html

180 degree http://www.mobotix.com/other/Products/Cameras/Allround-M24

Or some ďon topĒ lenses like GOPRO HERO?
http://www.goprocamera.com/products/?gclid=CNu0iNOj86UCFcM33god4SHGnw

Can you just buy a wide lens somewhere els and put in on the camera?
Soundy
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say you COULDN'T find wider lenses, I said they were harder to find and typically much more expensive. IQ's numbers on that chart seem "off" compared to the various lens calculators I've used - I've use the 2.5mm lens on an IQ511, for example, and it's not getting anywhere near 99 degrees. Not quite sure how they get different FOVs on different cameras for the same lens on the same size sensor, either.
Soundy
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gideonbazen wrote:
Before we tried before connecting QNAP NVR VS-2008 (http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=121 ).
QNAP stores in priority QMPEG codec. No way to easily automatically export or convert the videos.

Not surprising, as this isn't a common use for a NAS, although I'd think there would be some sort of scripting available to allow some sort of automation of exporting. Have you asked their support? I've found them to be pretty responsive as well.

Quote:
We tried using de supplier software from our Hikvison (http://www.hikvision.com) cameraís. Hikvison (software on board and Hikvison windows tools) use also some special codec.

Yeah, I've tried to find a way to view a stream from a Hik camera directly in a browser... they say it's not possible to do it.

For my IQ streaming project, I just have to use the following command line:
http://<camera.ip>/now.jpg?snap=spush - that's all it takes to display a live MJPEG stream in pretty much any browser. I can also enter the same URL on the VLC.EXE command line to stream it in VLC.

Quote:
I did not use VLC before. Iím going to try use VLC connect directly to my Hikvison camera and see what happened.

You'll still need to know the actual command line to use...
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Soundy,

I'm really happy with your fast answers and your help to find answers!

I did asked QNAP support. Easily and automatic connecting standard codec streams is not supported and not in their roadmap yet.

I going to try now to use your VLC command line example.

Regards,
Gideon
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not found a working url

This site shows rtsp examples of many cameras
http://www.soleratec.com/rtsp/rtsp_listing.php

but Hikvision is not yet filed Sad
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an example on:
rtsp://admin:12345@192.168.0.62/h264/ch1/sub/av_stream

and it is working!
Thanks!
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Documentation

http://www.veiliggevoel.nl/hikvision/2mp/The%20manual%20of%20Standard%20MPEG-4%20MP%20IPcamera.pdf
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok with VLC the codec and unnecessary converting issue is solved but it is manually. Is it possible to automate some functions like scheduling when to stream and store a file, store files in chucks of predefined time or sizes etc?
Is it possible to create a kind of VLC agenda service or is other streaming control software based on VLC available somewhere?
Soundy
Trusted Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLC is *extensively* scriptable, both from the command line, and via custom config files. This could be combined with the Windows Scheduler service if need be. Check the Wiki and forums at www.videolan.org for more details.
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Vlc with command lines is good solution.

I found some video streaming recording software with shedule functions:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Recording/Windows-Media-Stream-Recorder.shtml

Any idea of one of these support rtsp for ip cams?
oci

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gideonbazen wrote:
Thanks
I found some video streaming recording software with shedule functions...
Any idea of one of these support rtsp for ip cams?

Hello, we do this as a service for our customers on solution build with Wowza. It can pull rtsp stream from almost any h.264 network camera and of course record it to .mp4, so you can play it with flash, silverlight or at iPad/iPhone/....

If you don't want to build it yourselve, we offer it also as a web service at www.click2stream.com.
Gideonbazen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oci,

Capturing the stream by service is ok, but then we need the stream back in a flash player application on our webportal using rtsp

What are the limmits/cost etc?

The service sound interesting but there is not yet many information on www.click2stream.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed