IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

outdoor camera with ethernet connections?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
peterdewolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: outdoor camera with ethernet connections? Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, posted this to the wrong forum
I already own a Foscam f18908w, genuine article and I control it with security spy.
It's OK, a lot of functions don't work with a mac, like the audio and I cannot get it to use anything more than 6 fps no matter what I do with the camera settings. . Biggest bugbear though is the need for the camera to be in line of sight to the router, no walls etc. if I can't achieve this then the connection is really bad, camera control is very poor. So I have it hooked up via ethernet to the router and it works fine.
I now want to get an exterior one with a better nightime vision. Currently this camera functions reasonably at night but with available streetlight it doesn't go into infrared mode so the camera produces very blurred footage at about 3 fps.
Can anyone recommend an exterior IP camera which will connect via ethernet to my router and give me a better picture.
BTW the f1898w has a mirrored finish on the led ring, is there a reason for this, can I paint it matt?
Peter
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with these cheap cameras is that only would you need ethernet to work well outdoors, but you also need 110V. Get a PoE outdoor camera that gets it's power throught the ethernet cable. Outdoors, I personally use ACTi ACM-1231, review on my blog. If you want newer features and higher frame rate, the TCM-1231 is better, abeit at a higher cost. It's PoE, has about a 4x manual zoom, decent built in illuminators, 1.3MP (4x them Foscam), IR Cut Filter (no more purple trees) and is commercial quality.. Works well in pitch black.

Competing cameras in this format are from Vivotek (slightly cheaper) and Messoa (sligthly more expensive). One alternative may be to go with a less expensive day indoor camera, put it in an a watertight housing and then use motion detect flood lights to light up the area. Cheaper solution, but not for everyone. Last thing I want is my wife to panic because a coyote set off the motion detect lights and she things it's a bandit.
peterdewolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyotes???
I wish it was just coyotes, mostly feral children where I am.
Very good of you to respond, and I'll check out those recommendations. The indoor camera sounds like a good idea. The infrared never kicks in on IR cameras where I am anyway as it's never completely dark with ambient streetlighting, cars, house lights etc so it's of no practical use.
Just one other wee glitch you might advise me on. If I assign a DYNS address to my camera so I can se it remotely from another location, WAN, I've been told that I can't access it with that address on my LAN, is this true?
Thanks again
Peter
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my blog, there's an article about how to setup remote access. Just takes a lot of patience. Better yet, ask the feral children, they do this sort of stuff all the time with their xbox/ps3.
peterdewolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking article, many thanks. I shall gird my loins and give it a go tomorrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed