IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless IP to Web

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
wbroadway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Wireless IP to Web Reply with quote

Hi all,

First off, thanks in advance for any help you can give. I manage an RV Park that has wireless Internet available through out the park. I am interested in installing a wireless camera on our river frontage to supply a feed to our website. Nothing like a picture to entice people to come. My questions are as follows:

Can I use a wireless IP camera to transmit video directly through the WiFi network already in the park?
What upload speed is needed to get a decent video on the web?
What pixel quality would the camera need to be?
What distance would the camera reliably transmit video?
If I need to increase the distance, could I add amps, directional antennas or something else that may help?
For longer distances, would it be better to get a camera and separate WiFi router or is the built-in WiFi, the camera has just the same?

Hope this all makes sense.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a lot of upload bandwidth to provide streaming video to a few people. Your best bet is to have the camera take a picture every few minutes to once an hour or so and FTP that to your web server where your website is on and then just reference the image like you do with any other jpg photo. Any VGA resolution camera will work as you probably don't want a larger image than that on a web page.

What's your budget? I use an Axis M1011-W for this, cheap, but only good from sunrise to dusk, worthless at night. Also, it's an indoor camera, so if you use it outdoors, maybe you can stick it in a bird house or something to protect it from the elements. I like Axis because it lets you FTP on a schedule, like from 8am to 8AM ftp once per hour. They also make the M1114 which has better low light capabilities, albeit at a much higher price and not wireless.
wbroadway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Buellwinkle,

I am putting the budget together now. Once I have an idea of costs for each element, I will have a budget to work with. We would like to have video rather than stills if it is possible. What about uploading a short video, say 1 minute long, every hour or so. Is something like that feasible?

Night video is not needed, but the camera will be outdoors.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To figure out how much bandwidth you need, you may want to use the free Axis bandwidth calculator. You enter the frames per second you want, the resolution you want, the number of users you want and it will give you the estimated bandwidth.

There are some streaming services where you make your camera public on their site and they stream the camera to the public. I forget the name and I have it at home, but I'm not home right now. Then you only need enough bandwidth to upload a single stream, but keep in mind that 30 frames per second at VGA resolution will already overwhelm any DSL line. So you should probably look at cable modem as a start.

I know there are codecs with great compression like h.264, but most people won't install codecs to watch your video, so you'll have to go with a common format that works on most PC's and Macs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed