IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are heaters and blowers fro outdoor cameras REALLY needed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Are heaters and blowers fro outdoor cameras REALLY needed? Reply with quote

Are heaters and blowers for outdoor cameras REALLY needed? That is the question.....

I got a bunch of Axis cameras in unheated outdoor enclosures w/o blowers mounted outdoors. They have been outside during many days of +90F temps and single digit F days without any problems! So, is money wasted by ordering outdoor enclosures with heaters and blowers??

John
New Jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say for sure, but the cameras do create some heat by themselves. I would think the issue is probably more condensation in cold temps, for example, the camera gives off a little heat, the lens is warmer than the outside temp, it could possibly get condensation on the lens.

For the summer, heat is just the enemy of electronics, so the issue is longevity rather than if you'll have immediate problems.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote:
Can't say for sure, but the cameras do create some heat by themselves. I would think the issue is probably more condensation in cold temps, for example, the camera gives off a little heat, the lens is warmer than the outside temp, it could possibly get condensation on the lens.

For the summer, heat is just the enemy of electronics, so the issue is longevity rather than if you'll have immediate problems.
You are 100% correct. Some of my cameras give off good heat, but NEVER noticed any fogging due to condensation. Actually, I was more concerned about too much heat during the hot summer months than the cold as some of my cameras throw off a lot of heat (hahaha - a built in heater!). All of my M1114's are mounted in el cheepo chinese made $15.00 outdoor enclosures with slight modifications....

John
New Jersey
bobby1471
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long at the 90 degree weather is for months on end, you shouldn't have much of a problem Its when you get 90+ degree weather for days on end that your going to potentially damage your cameras.

As for the cold, condesation is one worry, but I have seen a few cameras that litteraly "freeze" when it gets below 28-25 degrees farenheit. They litteraly wont cut back on unless the temperature outside warms up or you bring them inside to thaw.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobby1471 wrote:
As long at the 90 degree weather is for months on end, you shouldn't have much of a problem Its when you get 90+ degree weather for days on end that your going to potentially damage your cameras.

As for the cold, condesation is one worry, but I have seen a few cameras that litteraly "freeze" when it gets below 28-25 degrees farenheit. They litteraly wont cut back on unless the temperature outside warms up or you bring them inside to thaw.
This winter we had plenty of days/nights that were in the single digits and during the summer we has several days where temps go over 100. In all cases the cameras works flawlessly.

Maybe I shouls run a test and "cook" a camera in my oven while streaming live until it dies.

John
New Jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M1114 doesn't have a cut back filter, so not an issue with that freezing, but it does have an auto iris, so that may freeze in place. It may just pay to move to So Cal, live by the beach, 75F max in summer, 50F lowest in winter. Works for me, haha.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may take your advice. Cost of living So Cal is most likely cheaper than the New York City metro area. Sh!t, I pay almost $12,000 in property taxes a year for my .33 acre dump over here........

John
New Jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly lower in property taxes and you don't need winter clothes, winter tires unless you go to our moutains during the winter.
Supra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Are heaters and blowers fro outdoor cameras REALLY neede Reply with quote

JohnnyC wrote:
Are heaters and blowers for outdoor cameras REALLY needed? That is the question.....

I got a bunch of Axis cameras in unheated outdoor enclosures w/o blowers mounted outdoors. They have been outside during many days of +90F temps and single digit F days without any problems! So, is money wasted by ordering outdoor enclosures with heaters and blowers??

I learned allot by this thread. Wasn't even aware of such features with outdoor enclosures (which I'm actually researching/shopping for right now!)
OKIE TELECOM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Are heaters and blowers fro outdoor cameras REALLY neede Reply with quote

Supra wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

I learned allot by this thread. Wasn't even aware of such features with outdoor enclosures (which I'm actually researching/shopping for right now!)

Sometimes condensation can really build up on the electronics in these outdoor type of enclosures. You really need something to protect it from weather extremes. It can take time but it will eventually damage your electronics. Check out www.ddbunlimited.com they have cooling and heating along with other accessories that can help prevent damage to your electronics!! Very Happy
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the time I originally posted this question to the forum, I purchased an Axis M1114-E. it is the regular M1114 in an outdoor enclosure. The enclosure has no heater or blower, but appears to be 100% sealed. There is what appears to be a black rubber o-ring (for lack of better descriptive words) that provides a air tight seal between the two halfs of the enclosure. there are no air vents. Included with the enclosure is one of those bags that has metrial to absorb moisture. Since the M1114 has no moving parts such as a mechanical IR cut filter, it should be OK in most outdoor climates w/o a heater or blower.

I have 4 more M1114's outdoors in cheap Chinese made outdoor enclosures for the past year or two. In New Jersey we get temps above 100 degrees in the summer and single digits in the winter. I never had any problems.

Many moons ago, I had lower end Panasonics (BL-30A and many others like it) outdoors in cheap unheated or cooled enclosures. One camera was hung just below the soffit fully exposed w/o an enclosure, but out of rain's reach. I never had a single problem and those cameras still work well today at a friend's house running 24x7 outdoors in non-heated or cooled enclosures.

John
New Jersey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed