IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixed vs variable focus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Fixed vs variable focus? Reply with quote

How important is fixed vs variable focus? I'm considering 2 options. One has a 3.1mm fixed lens (2MP) and the other a 3.3-12mm lens (1MP). Is this even an important consideration?

http://www.messoa.com/global/product/Index.aspx?classno1=17
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the focal length you need, you are set with a fixed focus lens, but the camera you are looking at likely uses board lenses and they are not that easy to find that work with a larger 5MP sensor like Messoa that probably uses a 1/2" sensor. For most stuff around my house, 3.1MM is fine, but one location I had needed to zoom in to like 6mm to capture what I wanted and another I kicked it up to about 4.5mm. Just gives you the flexibility to fine tune the image and gives you more freedom in choosing a mounting location.

For 3.1mm to work right, you probably need to have the subject no more than 10' - 15'. If they are like 30' away you won't recognize them and you'll want that vari-focal lens.
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The 870 spec sheet states

"Built-in fixed lens f=3.1 mm, F=2.0 (factory option 4mm, 8 mm)"

The 875 says

"f=3.3 ~ 12 mm, F1.6, Varifocal Megapixel lens"

I've decided to use my HTPC that runs 24/7 so I can load Blue Iris so the SD card isn't important anymore. I'm leaning towards the 870 for the 2mp resolution, H264 compression, and better size/appearance of the camera itself. Primary area of interest will be in the 10-20ft range around the driveway in front of the garage door. I think I'll give it a shot.
Ingenious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with buellwinkle, if you have the choice then a variable zoom gives you much more choice, because you can either have it wider angle or zoom in a bit. What if you want to move it later on to a different spot?

I note on my webcam which is a HD camera that having a high def image does mean you can get a lot more detail and zoom in (in the image) equivalent to about 12mm on my Foscams (with 3.6mm). So in some respects having a megapixel image negates the need for a zoom lens providing you do record at the higher res.

Also, if 4mm and 8mm are factory options I wonder if this means you'll be able to change the lens yourself anyway?
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the 870 this afternoon. If it turns out I need the variable focal length I'll pick up the 875 and move the 870 to the side of the house where I have a much more restrivted area to monitor.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to see the images from your Messoa when you get it.
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely
Supra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote:
Love to see the images from your Messoa when you get it.

I would love to see them also! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed