IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJPEG quality?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: MJPEG quality? Reply with quote

I'm struggling to get my new Messoa NCR870 set up with any software package. My understanding from the manual is that the built-in interface can only access the MJPEG stream so right now that's all I can evaluate. This is my first IP cam so I don't have any frame of reference but I'm not impressed with the image quality. Could this be mostly due to the MJPEG format?
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality of any JPEG is limited to the compression you chose. Most cameras let you chose what JPEG quality you want in terms of percentage. Even Mobotix has lousy MPEG by default, changing it to 100% makes the picture crystal clear.

Many cameras are pre-focused at the factory, but of course during shipping anything can happen so spend a little time fine tuning the focus.

Many cameras do allow you to fine tune the camera settings like exposure and such. You have to play around with it on just about every camera to get it to your tastes.

If you want to use Blue Iris, give Ken access to the camera for a while and he'll figure it out.
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quality set to high. I can post some example pics this evening. It would be useful if I could see what pics from other cameras look like for comparison. I'd prefer to see stuff from real world user applications as opposed to manufacturer provided images.

To adjust focus I'd have to fiddle with the actual lens?
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been able to get the RTSP streams through VLC Media Player so I know I have the correct paths but still no luck with Blue Iris or Vitamin D. The MPEG4 stream looks better but I have some lighting issues at night - a bright garage light just off the field of view that is washing part of the image out and also causing some halos. I've adjusted the camera angle as best I can.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing varifocal lenses are a pain. Most have adjusting knob near the lens with a slot on top where you stick in a flat head small screwdriver to losen the controls and make the adjustments. One is for focal length, the other is for focus. Change focal length and you have to refocus. Once you are done adjusting, the trick is to tighten the adjusting knowb without shifting your settings. I first set focal length, then fine tune in the focus.

You can see actual images from my cameras on my blog. So you can compare your image to it's closest competitor, the ACTI acm-1231. You can email me images at carl@buellwinkle.com for comment or you can send me your WAN IP/port and I can connect into the camera and see.

There are some sample videos on youtube for Messoa like this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Ra1-aiCgk

Just make sure you set the resolution on youtube to 1080P, so you are not looking at what you think should be HD video but shows it at 240P.
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the fixed lens model. I don't know if it's so much the focus as simply image quality. Watching the MPEG4 RTSP stream through VLC Media Player last night the severe grainyness of the night images was much better compared to the MJPEG feed through the camera interface. I haven't had a chance to check it out during the day yet - thought I had my DynDNS set up last night but can't hit it today from work - "connection refused". It worked last night from home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed