IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Security Camera solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
ragnar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Security Camera solution Reply with quote

Hello !
I need some help. The thing is I need a camera that will be placed outside, watching a road out of town. It will be watching traffic coming and going on a country road, there will be very litle speed on the the vehicles.. The camera will be outside and will need to be able to send and store the video/image at another computer over internet. That is the recording needs to be stored at another place then where the camera is. What is the best and cheapest solution to do that ? Hope you understand what im saying Smile

Best regards Ragnar
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the camera is, will there be a high speed internet connection and power to power the camera?

How far way is the recording computer and is there line of site between the camera location and computer location where you can use a wireless bridge?

What is your budget?
ragnar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there will be high speed internet connection and power.
The computer would be about 30km away from the camera. This is a mine i need to watch and its about 30 km from the city. My budget would be around $1000 +-. I am searching for the cheapest way though.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most effective cameras for this are Mobotix because they have the ability to buffer video internally and then send a motion event to a remote locaton already compressed. It will write to a networked hard drive, so no PC is needed.

You can use less expensive cameras and use NVR software remotely, but this would require that you have enough network bandwidth to support a continous stream. To see if this is viable, the first step is to go to website that measures internet speed like speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. Once you know your upload speed (forget download speed, means nothing), go to the Axis website and run their design tool that will calculate your bandwidh requirements and see what's the highest resolution you can run at the frames per second you want and how different compression methods and codecs help.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/design_tool/

This will determine how good of a camera you can get, for example, it would be fruitless to have a camera capable of HD at 30 fps if you didn't have the bandwidth to support it.

Also, I assume you need good night vision capabilities. Mobotix has dedicated night sensors for this that work really well. Alternatively, the Messoa NCR875 uses a 5MP sensor to produce a sharp 1MP image in low light and is priced well at under $500.
ragnar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.. Thanks alot for your great answer. Will check this out !

Thanks alot, Ragnar
WilsonJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the virus attack is one of your concerns and Linux based server would be a not bad choice, plustek, qnap, nuuo all have this type of solution.

HDD is only attached at no additional cost with Plustek system,
for your case, on site storage should be also considered as you don't have to worry to lose video data while transmitting (already saved on site), 1-4 channels performance are good.
Jimmy Mcmillan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for your valuable recommendation. I came to check to the forums for security camera suggestions myself. Three of my friend's homes have been broken into within the last week. One while he was in bed asleep. This is the set I was thinking of getting, it meets all your requirements except for needing power for the cameras. Still looking for a more reasonable solution, but effective. If something is perfect except the price, I had like to see it anyway because I am flexible.

Thank you for the great help!!
Jimmy Mcmillan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed