IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows free IP Cam solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Borsti92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Windows free IP Cam solution Reply with quote

Hi folks,

i'm new to this forum and i hope you can help me.

As we all know ip cameras are for security. But, what does MS Windows stand for? It stands for viruses, which are by far not secure.

Since i started to install ip cameras i'm looking for a secure non IE solution.

So my question is why do i not find a LINUX solution for my high security setup.

My sites have like 10-20 ip cams. The requirement is that the cameras support PoE and Megapixel. I prefer domecameras for clean installation.

So requirement should be: Linux Software, Megapixel, PoE, Motion detection

No Internet Explorer Plugins!

I would also prefer an open source solution but is not really necessary.
And I don't want Mobotix cams, for several commercial reasons.
georgnox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally also prefer the real cameras than the dome cameras.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows is more prone to viruses, but only if you connect for email and web surfing. For a dedicated PC for cameras, I think it's just as safe and reliable as Linux or OSX.

As for cameras, most will work OK with non IE web browsers, but not great. Most that have audio won't let you listen to audio with an IE browser. The other alternative is to not have a PC at all and go with a distributed solution like Mobotix where the NVR software is built into the camera, no PC required. You can have it record directly to a network hard drive or to an internal SD card.

Exacq is a popular commercial NVR solution that runs on Linux or WIndoze - http://www.exacq.com/

Zoneminder is open source (free) and it strictly runs on Linux.
Borsti92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said Mobotix is not the alternative. I install many mobotix cams at the moment and the big problem is,the price is too high, you cannot really make money then. I want to offer customers a competitive secure solution.

Also if you don't have internet or email, you can still have stupid employees with usb sticks and Moorhuhn Games.

If you say most cams work without IE then post a few exemples because i don't find any which show live image and lets you configure motion detection on a linux pc running Firefox.

Zoneminder developenent has stoped 3 years ago. Installing and setup is a pain on a modern Debian distribution.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, many cameras work with many browsers, but not all functions work the same. For example, Mobotix, since you are familiar with it, works on all browsers, even Safari on my iPad, but to get audio, you need IE.

As for cameras I can access without IE, Axis works fine with Safari, Chrome or Firefox. ACTi allows you to do everything but live video, so for setup purposes it works fine. Besides, you won't access the cameras directly for video, you'll be using the NVR software.

If you like open source, check out Zoneminder at http://www.zoneminder.com/ . Clearly it works without needing IE as it's a Linux solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed