IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JPEG requests with BlueIris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: JPEG requests with BlueIris? Reply with quote

I've been having trouble getting my Messoa NCR870 running properly with BlueIris. I've been bouncing emails with them and for whatever reason we can't get the RTSP streams to work reliably. In fact, the only thing that kind of sort of works is 720P MJPEG but for some reason it hangs every 60sec and the watchdog timeout triggers - it's like clockwork. I've confirmed that the camera is not losing network connection by watching the live stream from the camera's viewer. I've tried a few other resolutions of MJPEG and the stream becomes very blocky with inversions and parts of the image out of place. The H264 doesn't work at all which is disappointing because that was one of the features that I really liked about this camera. So as of now the only solution that seems to work is using JPEG requests. What impact does this have on image quality or quality of recorded video clips?
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJPEG is a series of individual jpegs, so you set quality by a quality percentage, so 100 is best, and the lower the number, the better the compression, the more compression artifacts you'll see. H.264 is good quality with high compression, but not free by any means, it's a very high overhead codec, so you'll need more processing power to decompress, so not always the best solution. When I ran tests, H.264 image quality was as good as about 80-90% mjpeg. For my home, I'm never going to have so many cameras that I'm going to overload the network, but I can certainly overload the CPU on my PC if I run a few cameras at H.264, so it has no to value to me.

It should work with BlueIris, keep bugging Ken until he figures it out. Also, check with Messoa support, maybe they have a firmware update.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Milestone, they have a free version, and Milestone claimes to support 900 different cameras - http://www.milestonesys.com/go
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a try.

Something else I just noticed is that Blue Iris is reporting only 5fps although my camera is set at 1080P 15fps. There is virtually no other traffic on my network at the moment aside from light web surfing. If I change to 720P 30fps BlueIris reports 8-12fps. Is this potentially an issue of Messoa being "optimistic" with their specs?
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not understanding a difference between the RTSP MJPEG stream and using JPEG requests. Aren't they both just a series of JPEG images? If there isn't a difference in quality then it's not a big deal I suppose. I'll only every have 2-3 cameras max so bandwidth isn't an issue.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 fps is a best case under perfect lighting. If you want to experiment, set the max shutter speed to 120th of a second, then it may give you 30fps. Besides, I thought they advertise 15fps.
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...got it...so the longer shutter speed under low light conditions results in lower fewer FPS.

It's rated 30FPS in 720P or 15FPS in 1080P.
Portia668

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you view your camera from Internet or under LAN? If you view from the Internet, bandwidth sometimes limits the fps. Try to check out the fps under LAN and you should be able to get 30fps.
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAN - but I haven't tried during the day to see what I'm getting with decent light.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another post someone recomended Security Monitor Pro and with Pro in the name, it must be good Rolling Eyes

It claims to directly support the Messoa cameras and you can download it and try it for free.

http://www.deskshare.com/video-surveillance-software.aspx
TH3_FRB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'm giving it a try and seems to be working better than anything else so far. The log shows it dropping and reconnecting on average every 10-15min although there are periods of over an hour without an issue. It always reconnects and reports less than 1min of "preview lost". To be fair, the software doesn't have the new NCR 870 specifically configured so I used the NCR 875. I still think there are bugs in the firmware but haven't had any luck getting support from Messoa. I think I'm going to work through the process of either getting a replacement to try or simply having AMEX credit me with a refund if the vendor doesn't cooperate. This has potential to be a good camera but it needs to be reliable.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked them about the NCR870 and they said they can provide support for it if one of the existing camera definitions doesn't work with it. From the person that uses it, he said he got a brand new camera that just came out and they made it work and added to their product in less than 2 weeks.

Also, for what it's worth, did you try Messoa's software? Here's the download link - http://www.messoa.com/global/product/index.aspx?id=129 Looks like a RAR file, so you may need WinRAR to uncompress it.

Don't know if it's free or what it costs, but if you can at least load a trial and run it and see if you still have problems, then Messoa can't back out of supporting you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed