IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless IP Cam Setup for Remote Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
Ksbee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Wireless IP Cam Setup for Remote Site Reply with quote

I'm a rookie and looking for some guidance. I've got a small farm with several outbuildings and a house I'd like to keep tabs on. I'm only physically on site a couple times a month so I'd like to be able to check out the cameras over the internet. There is electricty and internet service available with 768K upload speed. I don't have an extra computer and really don't want to leave one running while I'm gone.

From reading various topics here, it seems a wireless router connected to the internet service would allow me to connect the IP cams without using a computer. Initally I'd like to install 3 cameras the furthest of which would be about 300' from the router. I'd like to operate the cams wirelessly (although I could put in some cable if I absolutely had to). Not really looking for high end cams but good enough to be able to recongize someone trying to steal from the gas barrel, etc. Decent night vision would be good as well. 2 of the 3 cameras will be mounted outdoors. Cost is a factor, so the images don't need to be super crisp but good enough for basic recognition, maybe some wildlife viewing, etc. (ie, don't want to spend much over $1K)

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just want an image that is "good enough to be able to recongize someone". There's two ways to do it, put a sign with an arrow, stand here and lights come on and the camera records Smile

You need to deterimine what lens, lighting and resolution does what you want. That's easy, use cell camera, make sure the lens has a smudge on it (it's not like you will be cleaning the surveillance cameras daily, so might as well simulate the real deal) and take a picture at that cameras highest resolution from where you want to put cameras and get a model to stand where you want to ID someone. .

Then get the picture on your computer and make a copy and resize to 640x480 (VGA) and 1280x1024 (1.3MP) and see if that's good enough, if you need more. Also, a more wide angle lens means you need the subject to be closer and telephoto can be further away but the angle of view is smaller.

Ideally you want a person's face to be 80 pixels tall to be identifiable.

Lastly is lighting. The cheapest, yet most annoying is white light. You can get quarts 300W flood lights on motion detectors for cheap. A single IR light capable of lighting 100' from a reputable company can easily cost $500-1,000. You can get cameras with built in IR light, but that's only good for about 30-50' max.
Zapman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar situation and have three wireless cams running all the time in our lan. Two outdoor, one indoor. The indoor is in the chicken house(in a window facing this place), 202 feet from home. One outdoor is at the pig pen watching 4 little piggees, 275 feet from the house. The other outdoor is across the draw in the woods, 520 feet from the house. We are watching deer and Elk with that one. They are all VGA cams. They all have mics and the outdoor are two way sound with an outdoor speaker at the camera if we want. Outdoors have ir night vision, ir cut filter, etc. I am getting 2-3 bars on all of them. We also have a PoE 1.3 MP at the house hardwired to my router running all the time. So far nothing out to the internet but then we are always here anyway and it is easily possible with all these cameras. I run 6-10 FPS on all of them and sound on one at all times. Right now I mainly use IE to monitor and record when I want.
We have two outdoor Sharx 3605's and a 2606 indoor. The outdoor MP is a geovision BL110D. Our wireless access point at the house(also outdoor, so far only ONE access point) is an Ayrmesh hub mounted on our roof. Lots of trees and nothing level around here.
I should add the outdoor have sd cards already in them for recording at the camera. They are also easily set up to view direct from the internet.
We love to hear all the animals from the house when we want which is just about all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed