IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High failure rate in Axis cameras?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
jc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: High failure rate in Axis cameras? Reply with quote

We have a 50 camera installation on 2 servers using various Axis cameras and their Camera Station software. It has been operational for a little over 3 years. The odd camera used a power supply in the early going, but the whole installation now runs on 3Com POE switches.

We have been fairly satisfied with the Axis software and the various cameras out of the box, but we have been very dissatisfied with camera life. Out of the original 50 camera installation we have had 13 camera failures. Of these failures 10 were of the lower end 207 camera (out of an original 20) and the other 3 spread across the model line (212, 216, 209). Most fail in a similar way starting with pixelization and colored pixel motion that slowly gets worst until there is no image. Occasionally they simply go black. Most of the time you can still log into the camera, so we have tried all types of resets and bios flashes, but ultimately the cameras are toast.

If you donít know Axis these model numbers wonít mean anything to you, but I have some questions that cover a wider base than just Axis.

What is an acceptable failure rate for indoor IP cameras in a 7 X 24 environment? That is, for those in the field for years what have you typically seen?

Has anyone else had unacceptably high failures in Axis cameras?

What other line of cameras would you recommend if we transition away form Axis to another brand?

Thanks,

John
CjMcD
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats rare....talk to axis support and RMA the cameras. Maybe there is a bug in the firmware...
jc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment.

We have talked to Axis, but the cameras are out of warranty. They are considering some sort of rebate on replacement purchases, but I am losing faith in the product line. I think seeing the 212 failing today (a $700 camera on this site) pushed me to want to look into another product line. I'm not there 100%, but am I wrong to expect at least 5 years from a camera in a stable indoor (healthcare) environment?
CjMcD
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can tell you I just installed about 200 P3344ve and we had not 1 issue with a single camera.. Tons of issues with the VMS but nothing with any cameras all work perfectly. They have been up and running about 6 months now. Not 1 single issue with any. Ive had axis try and tell me the M10 series was a lower line cause I was having issues with an older firmware. After I installed the 5.16 firmware Ive been fine. The issue I was having was the camera was losing its static set IP and going back to DHCP. Then the axis IP camera finder tool was detecting the camera but it was detected as inaccessable. IDK but its fix now and in my oppion axis makes a great product.

CJ
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to Axis cameras little over a year ago. I got serval P1346's, a Q1755 and a bunch of M1114 cameras. They have been running flawlessly outdoors. The M1114's are in an unheated enclosure and have endured single digit temps this past winter as well as sweltering heat in the summer. Today, I just ordered a M1054.

John
New Jersey
CjMcD
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M 1054 is nice I have 1. Very good picture quality.
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CjMcD wrote:
M 1054 is nice I have 1. Very good picture quality.
I read several reviews on this camera and two folks complained about constant locking up of the cameras which required rebooting the camera. Maybe these reviews were bogus and posted by the Chinese knock-off cheapie camera companies, but who knows.......

John
New Jersey
CjMcD
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk about the posts but the m1054 is a solid camera. PM if you want Ill give you a peek at it.

CJ
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the peep show preview offer, but my camera should arrive by Thursday (2 day shipping). I already downloaded the manual and read it. I would expect the image to be simular to the M1114 in clarity which is very acceptable to me when compared to VGA.

Once configured, it will take the spot where I currently have a Panny C131A running which I use for spotting purposes.

John
New Jersey
jc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I canít argue with the experience that has been presented, but I would say that these comments relate to relatively recent installations. My issue is about long term reliability. We too were very satisfied in the early going. I would say the first cameras began to fail a little after a year, and then a steady stream thereafter. Granted, the early failures were the lower end 207 (now with a 50% failure rate), but more recently it has included 3 mainstream cameras.

So again, my issue is with their long term performance, nothing else.

Anyone else with multi camera installations in the 3 to 5 year range with reliability issues?

Thanks
John
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc wrote:
Well, I canít argue with the experience that has been presented, but I would say that these comments relate to relatively recent installations. My issue is about long term reliability. We too were very satisfied in the early going. I would say the first cameras began to fail a little after a year, and then a steady stream thereafter. Granted, the early failures were the lower end 207 (now with a 50% failure rate), but more recently it has included 3 mainstream cameras.

So again, my issue is with their long term performance, nothing else.

Anyone else with multi camera installations in the 3 to 5 year range with reliability issues?

Thanks
John
You have a point. I bought my Q1755 several months after it came into production. I think that was about 1.5 years ago, but not sure since I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night. Anyway, all Axis cameras are running well at my place (i just took a peek).

John
New jersey
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! My memory is coming back now.... I ate liver and chicken gizards for dinner last night........how could have i forget....

John
New jersey
CjMcD
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to funny johnnyC....

The technology is pretty new, any problems I experience Ill try to give an accurate description of any failures I have on any AXIS cameras.....So far so good.

CJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed