IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indoor camera for audio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
cam123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Indoor camera for audio Reply with quote

Fair enough, new thread for this.

Indoors, near a lobby/reception area in another situation. Range is ~10-20 feet, attached to ceiling/wall. Video quality not so important but audio is important. The main goal would be to hear and see the customers interacting with the employees to try to improve customer service. Most likely just some sporadic random sampling for recording, not 24/7. Preferably low-profile to not scare customers. Hopefully much cheaper than the outdoor cameras? Would around $200-300 be enough?

Quote:
You can't legally record audio without their consent and knowledge or you are violating federal wiretapping laws and possibly state laws, for example California has strict laws on recording audio. If it was inside your house that would be different, in a workplace you are asking for trouble. Check with your companies legal council before attempting this.

Do you want to record events indoors when it gets dark for security reasons or daytime only? Indoors for a commercial environment I've used a Mobotix Q24, pretty cool camera but requires light, I use a motion detect light switch. It's not as expensive as the other Mobotix but it's a fisheye view of a room at 3MP. It creates four nomalized 90 degree views of the room, each of the views is 1024x768 resolution. So it's like having 4 cameras for the price of one. If you need lighting for night security, the ACTI 3511 is a dome camera with buit in IR lighting, similar to the 1231 but in a dome, about the same price too.

Okay, legal council will be sought before attempting this.

It's not for security at all. You know when you call tech support sometimes and you hear, "Your call may be recorded for quality assurance, blah blah blah." It would be closer to that. So business hours, plenty of light indoors while business is open. If needed, there could be even a remote human watching the interaction live instead of recording it, if need be.

Again, the video isn't even that important, just the audio to get the interaction.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still recommend the Mobotix Q24, looks like a smoke detector so it's discrete, is 3MP so you get 4 distinct views at 1024x768 so it's like having 4 cameras that are high resolution, is PoE for easy wiring, comes with all the software for free, can record to a micro SD card if you want and has 2 way audio built in although we have ours turned off per our legal coucil's advice.

We have ours surface mounted so it hangs down about 2", if you have a drop ceiling you can mount it flush. We have meetings with 20-30 people and if I didn't point it out, nobody would even know it's a camera.
cam123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Q24 does indeed look like an excellent camera, but it's much too expensive. It's even more expensive than the outdoor camera.

I'm sure lots of people have great uses for the 4 cameras in 1, but in this particular situation, the video isn't even that important, as mentioned in the OP. Just something cheap that can transmit some audio remotely with no recording. Is there anything like that?
nicholassentry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think if there's such a thing like that, I haven't heard it yet. Confused
JohnnyC
Evangelist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for a covert camera for indoors, or a camera that people will easily see and take notice as a deterrent?

John
New Jersey
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Axis M1031-W (wifi and vga resolution) or the M1054 (poe and 1mp resolution) have 2 way audio that works pretty well.

The ACTi cams, the ones that say 2 way audio means they have audio ports on the back and you have to plug in a microphone. The advantage is you can chose the quality and location of the microphone. For example, I use an ACTi Cube (acm-4201), runs about $250, same 1.3 MP sensor as the outdoor camera, has interchangable lens but comes with a 4mm and supports 2 way audio.

Staying with one brand makes life easier, you don't have to learn the programming quirks from multiple vendors and ACTi gives you the software free, as long as it's for ACTi cameras.
cam123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4201 looks very good, although I'm not really sure what to do about a microphone. The M1031-W looks good, too, but you mentioned the software is 200? That's probably not going to work if it's almost as much as the camera since there'd only be one Axis camera total.

The size of either of those is fine. Probably more covert, but the size and shape of the camera is one of the lower priority things. Nice to have but not a big deal if it's larger.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what Axis charges for it's software, but you don't need software if you don't want to record. Also, there's lots of software options ranging from free on up. Milestone XProtect Go is free, Zoneminfer is free, I use BlueIris which is $50 per server.

For a cleaner look get a dome like the ACTi acm-3401, about 250ish, 1.3MP, 2 way audio. With a dome you can't tell which way the camera is pointed and lots of businesses have them, so it's more discrete and more scary at the same time. Here's details on using the mic-in input -

http://www.acti.com/getfile/KnowledgeBase_UploadFile/Audio-In_of_ACTi_Cameras_20110408_002.pdf

What's weird is the new ACTI Cubes (acm-4201) comes with built in microphone but I'm pretty sure mine does not have this nor the PIR motion detection. This must have have been integrated recently.
cam123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay. I didn't know it was just for recording. If that's the case, then the M1031 could be an option.

The dome does look useful but getting a 3rd party microphone and figuring how to hook up the terminal block seems like more hassle than it's worth. The location of the camera is flexible and could just be moved closer if the microphone is weak.

Most likely, the 4201 seems like the best option, with the built-in microphone.

Thanks again for help with this choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed