IP Camera
Home IP Cameras Reviews Forums IP Camera Software IP Camera Comparison Tools and Support Contact Us

Site Search

Your IP Network Camera and Video Server Source

- IP Camera and Video Server Reviews
- Discussion Forums
- Tools and Support
- Industry News and Articles
- Complete Product and Software Listings
Where to Buy

Latest IP Camera Reviews

Newsletter Sign Up

IP Camera Help Center

Information:
IP Camera Forum
Manufacturers
IP Camera Software
Integrators & Solution Providers
Glossary of Terms
Camera Comparison
Camera Demos
View Articles
Press Releases
Tools and Support
Where to Buy

Other Resources:

Website Help

About Us
Media Kit
Contact Us
RSS Feed
Site Map
Industry Links
Link Directory

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Infrared Illuminator

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the camera transmits the image to the VMS software, but doesn't the software write the event in it's own format, regardless of how the video made it to the software? For example, I have two cameras that are nearly identical except one has h.264 the other does not. If I point both to the same spot, set all the video options as the same, would the vms software write a smaller file for camera with h.264 or it it writing the event it's own format and both would compress the same?

Personally, I don't use any H.264 compression on my cameras that do support it because I don't want to overwhelm my server which is an Atom dual core and h.264 does have a reputation for being very cpu intensive to decompress video.
skane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote:
OK, so the camera transmits the image to the VMS software, but doesn't the software write the event in it's own format, regardless of how the video made it to the software? For example, I have two cameras that are nearly identical except one has h.264 the other does not. If I point both to the same spot, set all the video options as the same, would the vms software write a smaller file for camera with h.264 or it it writing the event it's own format and both would compress the same?

h.264 stream consists of "full" frames (intra-frames), and frames containing change info/data referencing other frames (p and b frames). The bandwidth and storage resource usage of h.264 depends on nature of the scene (complexity and activity/change level), framerate, intra-frame interval, constant vs. variable bitrate settings.

In the testing I've done with Luxriot VMS and cameras (Areconts, Vivoteks, Sanyos) that run in mjpeg and h.264 modes, recording in h.264 mode consumes less storage than mjpeg, using settings with comparable image quality, on the same scenes.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote:
it's closer to the FD8161

The Vivo 8000 line are all h264. The 7000 line has no h264. Otherwise, they are all pretty much the same.

I know when I did all the "new" Toshes last year, each lined up with an exact, available Vivo. The cases can be a bit different (wr16, I think is Tosh-specific), but otherwise the same. You can find the Vivo model number by looking at the parmlist in a Tosh.
40th Floor
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellwinkle wrote:
but doesn't the software write the event in it's own format, regardless of how the video made it to the software?

You are probably basing that on blur iris which does as you describe (it uses ffmpeg to decode mpeg4/hj264 and otherwise doesn't know how to deal with it). However, doing that is like unzipping a .zip everytime you want to copy it to some where else. Sort of pointless when you can simply copy the .zip file as is, and unzip it when needed. That wastes a LOT of disk, and a LOT of CPU, for nothing, really.
buellwinkle
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, dumped BlueIris in favor of ACTi NVR Enterprise, the price is right, free. What I like is that it does the motion detect in the camera, not in the software, so it's not constantly streaming video to the NVR server to analyze it for motion detection. Actually, the NVR server software doesn't even show you an image of the cameras like one would expect, all it does is record events from the camera. Barely a load on my Atom processor.

Different software, the desktop that you run on a remote PC actually lets you live view the cameras, view recording and configure the system. It uses IIS to provide a web client that's pretty good, way more comprehensive than BlueIris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IP Camera Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Highest Rated
Warning: join() [function.join]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/ncrftp503/public_html/lib/functions.php on line 363
No cameras with more than 1 rating found

Most Viewed